• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army Captain recommends bringing sex workers up to the lines to relieve stress

• Thread starter jollyjacktar
  • Start date
J

jollyjacktar

I can imagine the adults are not keen about her suggestions.

Australian army captain recommends soldiers should be visited on the front lines by PROSTITUTES to 'relieve stress'
- Australian army captain says sex workers should be integrated to help soldiers
- Captain Sally Williamson wrote opinion piece for Land Power Forum website
- She wants to see defence forces embrace the sex industry to help serving troops

An Australian army captain currently serving in the Middle East has written an opinion piece requesting the defence forces allow sex workers to help soldiers 'relieve stress'

Captain Sally Williamson wrote the article for the Land Power Forum, a website run by the Australian military giving past and present servicemen and women a chance to express their thoughts and offer ideas.

Capt. Williamson posted the story, titled 'Sex And War - A Conversation Army Has To Have', in early November but it was removed days later after fierce scrutiny.

'Opinions on the subject will undoubtedly vary, but the conversation about sexual activism and regulation on deployment is worth having,' the since-deleted post reads.

'Unfortunately, the actions of a small minority, and the subsequent Pathway to Change process have made the ADF nervous when it comes to issues of a sexual nature.'

Full story continues at link

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5141151/Australian-army-captain-says-prostitutes-allowed.html#ixzz50h13No4G
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I can't even imagine the reaction to that article in Canada. She'd be burned at the stake. Unfortunately, she's right in that its a conversation to have. Good on her for trying a little unconventional thinking.

I seem to recall there were three ladies and a goon (pimp?) from Eastern Europe who hung around New Canada House in KAF - at least until the staff would chase them out the door..... There were also those young ladies at the Thai 'Massage Parlour' on the boardwalk. They were all brought to the R3MMU for medical exams after it was shut down. Our CO was livid at the way they'd been treated by their boss.

I'm not passing any judgement on it, just noting that it's been around since armies have been around. Even in as tightly controlled a base as KAF they got in somehow.

jollyjacktar said:
I can imagine the adults are not keen about her suggestions.

I can imagine some of the wives are not keen about her suggestions,  :)
https://nypost.com/2017/12/07/military-wives-furious-over-proposal-to-send-sex-workers-for-the-troops/

Just tell the spouses that they have to listen to Tina Turner!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCBttS_y7lE

"She begins the story by referencing past instances of the sex industry successfully integrating with armed forces"

While it is true that prostitutes and dubious "wives" of soldiers have been following military campaigns and even going to sea in ships from time immemorial, I'm not sure it has ever been officially sanctioned or provided from public funds, with the possible exception of the Japanese enslavement of Korean "comfort women."

Now, would the prostitutes be public servants, NPF employees or military members (choosing a trade badge would be interesting).  Would the madams/pimps be commissioned?

Staff Weenie said:
I seem to recall there were three ladies and a goon (pimp?) from Eastern Europe who hung around New Canada House in KAF - at least until the staff would chase them out the door..... There were also those young ladies at the Thai 'Massage Parlour' on the boardwalk. They were all brought to the R3MMU for medical exams after it was shut down. Our CO was livid at the way they'd been treated by their boss.

I'm not passing any judgement on it, just noting that it's been around since armies have been around. Even in as tightly controlled a base as KAF they got in somehow.

I remember the massage parlour, never stopped by myself but some of the guys did.  They seemed to be happier for the therapy.

A new spin on "I love the f&%$ing army and the army loves f#*&ing me"?

Pusser said:
"She begins the story by referencing past instances of the sex industry successfully integrating with armed forces"

While it is true that prostitutes and dubious "wives" of soldiers have been following military campaigns and even going to sea in ships from time immemorial, I'm not sure it has ever been officially sanctioned or provided from public funds, with the possible exception of the Japanese enslavement of Korean "comfort women."

Now, would the prostitutes be public servants, NPF employees or military members (choosing a trade badge would be interesting).  Would the madams/pimps be commissioned?

I believe the FFL made it policy to see to the troops at least up to the 60s, going by the accounts I've read.

Maybe, maybe this is an idea who's time has "come".  :D

Just catching up to the French

Bordels Mobiles de Campagne or Bordel Militaire de Campagne (both abbreviated to BMC) is a French term for the mobile brothels which were used during World War I, Second World War, and First Indochina War to supply prostitution services to French soldiers who were facing combat in areas where brothels were unusual, such as at the front line or in isolated garrisons.[1][2] In France, brothels were outlawed in 1946 by the "loi Marthe Richard". In the French Foreign Legion (Légion Etrangère), they were in use until the late 1990s, when a scandal revealed that a staff of three was officially employed by a military unit of 100 men in Africa.[citation needed]

The last operational B.M.C. in territorial France, was operated by the 2nd. Regiment of the Foreign Legion in the town of Calvi, Corsica; it was closed in 1978.[citation needed] The last BMC to close in France's overseas territories was the one operated in Kourou, in French Guiana, closed in 1995.[citation needed] Until 2003, a BMC was in operation in a military base of the Foreign Legion in Djibouti.[citation needed]

These mobile brothels were in some cases officially organized by the army. They consisted of large trailer trucks in which up to ten women would work.[3] The first references to these BMC's were in World War I, and they are noted particularly in the Indochina War and the Algerian War. In the Indochina War, the French used women from the Ouled Naïl tribe of the highlands of Algeria.[4] BMC's were known to have a significant role in the spread of sexually transmitted diseases[3] and were an avenue of attack by female Viet Minh sympathizers.[5] There was a vast BMC in Saigon known as "the park of the buffaloes", and in January 1954, a BMC containing Vietnamese and Algerian prostitutes[6] was flown to Dien Bien Phu.[2] Here, the prostitutes became nursing assistants for the French garrison during the siege, though they were sent for reeducation by the Viet Minh after the French garrison fell.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordel_militaire_de_campagne

Didn't Bernard Montgomery set up regimental brothels to some success? We went back to pips and crowns, pearl grey, and the executive curl, there's very clearly a precedent for sex workers.

Brigadier Chris Vokes, Commander 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade, attempted to set up a brigade brothel in an attempt to curb STDs. His plan came to naught when 8th Army Headquarters learned of it.

http://dustbinepitaph.blogspot.com/2011/11/brigadier-chris-vokes-brothel-sicily.html

jollyjacktar said:
Maybe, maybe this is an idea who's time has "come".  :D

"Here's to our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet."  :)

bLUE fOX said:
Didn't Bernard Montgomery set up regimental brothels to some success? We went back to pips and crowns, pearl grey, and the executive curl, there's very clearly a precedent for sex workers.

No, he didn't.  What the then division commander did that brought him to the attention of higher was, when he was made aware of an increasing incidence of venereal disease in his command, to issue an Order of the Day that directed his battalion commanders to educate their men in matters of sexual hygiene, promote the safer brothels that were in his AO and were patrolled by MPs and encouraged the use and distribution of condoms.  He may have made available some medical resources to inspect sex workers but he was not actively involved in establishing brothels. 

I don't know if any remember this book discussed here,
https://army.ca/forums/threads/23978.0
"I was always one to rally to King and Country during an emergency and in August 1950 the emergency was that I was broke."

I read it many years ago. But, as memory serves, it described a delightful lecture by the M.O. and Padre that suggested sticking ( no pun intended ) to the "old five-fingered widow."  :)

Luckily, both men and women can now serve in every component of the CAF so this is no longer an issue, right?

I mean, I watched Hyena Road and that was all true :)

mariomike said:
I don't know if any remember this book discussed here,
https://army.ca/forums/threads/23978.0
"I was always one to rally to King and Country during an emergency and in August 1950 the emergency was that I was broke."

I read it many years ago. But, as memory serves, it described a delightful lecture by the M.O. and Padre that suggested sticking ( no pun intended ) to the "old five-fingered widow."  :)

As I recall, the lecture was by an Australian VD Control Warrant Officer.

Old Sweat said:

Thanks. I read it about 40 years ago. I recall the lecture was by an officer of some sort.

Old Sweat said:

What is it about Australians and VD control lectures?  I don't recall the book mentioned, but on a personal note I do recall the hubbub that arose when certain comments passed on to newly arrived Australians during their indoc briefing (Ismailia 1979) came to our attention.  When the standard warnings about prostitutes and STDs were given, they included a warning about the Canadian women indicating that there was a possibility of acquiring an infection from them as well, since . . .  Of course, I would be disingenuous in saying that there was no incidence of STD contacts among the BRABATT pers during my time there, but most of the linked cases had a single nexus.

Maybe it's something about the Aussies not being able to keep it in their pants or at least covered, but during their operations in Vietnam the monthly incidence of VD infections at one time (Oct 1966) hit the mindboggling rate of 943 per 1000 men.

The Canadian Army has also traditionally had trouble keeping it in its collective pants. One obscure incident I found when researching my book on the Canadians in the Boer War. After Paardeberg 2 RCRI marched cross country to Bloemfontein and camped out on the veldt. Somehow in this period 15 troops caught the clap.

Back