• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army.ca Chat [merged]

No worries, it sounds like things are sorted out now. And you're just one post away from "meeting friends online." ;)

JSR, that is why it's important to have people read before posting, it prevents someone from skipping a "minor" detail written by the owner of the site then quoted by a moderator only three posts down.  I thought there was an unwritten rule that you must read a full thread before you post anything to it, yet not many people seem to know about it.

And when you finally get to "meeting friends online", keep the speedo pics to a minimum. :)

We are already seeing some straining of our patience in regards to the admission to the Chat Rooms.  The Chat Rooms are being inundated with annoying people, who have gained access via making numerous annoying and senseless posts in the Main Forums so as to gain the privilege of entering the Chat Rooms.  Perhaps we should aim for a much higher standard of our Posters than ten posts.  Remember, the Staff are also keeping a strict eye on people who want to spam with silly posts.  Perhaps it is time for us to become even more strict on who should or should not gain access to the Chat Rooms so that unwanted disruptions or distractions don't become common place.

I saw bring it up the count to when they are actually regarded as members and if we have to delete 25 posts as they are nothing but garbage then we should give those personnel automatic C&P.

Is this not just limited to Zack?  I am sure he is the one that we have all seen trying to "get in"... any others?

Wow, you guys are really taking this seriously.  I would even suggest that your taking it a little too far.  It sounds to me like you want to keep the Chat room All to a select group of people, as some of you want to make it harder for other people to join your "click".  I have a suggestion for you. When I was allowed in the chat area, there were many rooms.  Why not have few rooms dedicated to persons who have made significant amounts of good, worthwhile contributions to this site.  That way, us "Newbies" can still have some ability to chat with others too.

Just a thought.

We may be taking it too seriously, but it seems that others are not taking it seriously enough. The crux of the issue is that a general concern was raised regarding the chat rooms. Personally, I agree with it. It would be simplistic to register a new account, join the chat rooms and be disruptive, or even abusive there. I believe it's due diligence to take reasonable steps to prevent that, while still permitting legitmate users to join the chat room.

The current requirements are now 3 hours of online time logged and 10 posts. (The idea being that in 3 hours users will be able to make 10 quality posts.)

I expect this will work a little better than the previous model, which seemed to invite abuse via inane posts.

Cheers
Mike

P.S. There are already multiple rooms, the majority of which are never used. The issue is bigger issue possible abuse (and liability), not simple organization, unfortunately.

I agree with the limits set. I'd even go farther and say I'd like to see the same thing for first time posters in the forums. Something along the lines of not being able to start new threads until you've logged so many hours or proven you're not just taking up bandwith opening new threads on topics that have been previously covered.

JSR OP said:
  Why not have few rooms dedicated to persons who have made significant amounts of good, worthwhile contributions to this site.  That way, us "Newbies" can still have some ability to chat with others too.

Since there are so many internet chat rooms out there, I believe the intent of this chat room is to keep some kind of decorum based on informed posts. How else are we going to keep the annoying people just looking for a 5 minute babble fix out.

Bzzliteyr said:
Is this not just limited to Zack?  I am sure he is the one that we have all seen trying to "get in"... any others?
No, it is not limited to him alone.  There have been several other people on the Forums posting one liners.  In on instance one person posted three one liners in three different topics in less than a minute.  Doesn't look suspicious does he?  What a great way to catch the attention of the Staff.

Bzzliteyr said:
And when you finally get to "meeting friends online", keep the speedo pics to a minimum. :)

I am almost afraid to ask....What is the deal with the speedo pics??

does this have anything to do with the "inappropriate pictures incident"?  If so, I don't want to know.... Well, actually I do, but from what I have read, it is a curiosity best left unanswered.

To add my 10 cents (inflation from the previous 2 cent requirement). I think it is a great idea.

Thanks Mike for all your help today with the site. :)

See the problem for me is that I spend an hour or so a day on the computer, most of that on here or msn (or most likely both) and I don't know enough about any of the topics to contribute anything to the topics. Most of my time on here i'm just looking around reading the posts of the people that actually know what they are talking about, trying to learn something. I have no military experience and the threads that I might know something about, there is almost definitely someone with more info on the subject. So it's hard for me to post 10 posts that would be very useful to the other people on the site.

Also, I did have an account before the one i'm using know, (Randy15) and it had 30 posts posts on it (mostly questions on recruiting, eligibility and courses) but I went away for a couple weeks and when i came back it wouldn't let me on the account, it said that the username did not exist, even though I have posts on the site, so what's going on there?

So to sum it all up, I don't know enough to contribute anything to this site, and the questions that I did have have either been answered in my previous posts, i've found what I was looking for on the threads, or I've sent personal messages to people that could possibly help me. Does anyone see how someone like me could really get the short end of the stick here?

Randy,

it's only the "short end" if you decide to let it be so. You've obviously got the capability of presenting well structured and well thought out posts, so only nine more to go.

You have to consider that this restriction on the chat room helps to protect army.ca, its owner and all members from drive-by trolls, antogonistic lurkers and those who might be seeking a way to throw a wrench into the works. Ten posts gives us a (very small) look at any members before they get into the free flowing chat room. It gives us an idea of their background and attitude and helps us head off some of the potential disasters. The chat room can include minors so we do have to be careful and watch for those who might launch into inappropriate content or other emotional meltdown states. Other participants could possible include mothers of cadets or soldiers, reporters, reps from politicians' offices, etc. All are welcome, but we want some idea of who's in the house.

The terms haven't been rewritten to obstruct you or anyone else, they have generated a necessary safeguard.

take care

Mike O

I totally understand that the rules havn't been changed just to make it harder for people, you have the reasons and right to do it and I understand why you did it. I'm just saying that some of my posts may not be the best or the most helpful, so theres a warning , i may seem like a dumbass but atleast i'm not making things up and acting like i know things that i have nooo clue whatsoever about.

Does anyone have an idea of whats going on with my old account?

From what I've gathered, as soon as a new thread is started, an immediate response is to simply tell the person to go to search.  I understand that many topics have been covered extensively, however it proves somewhat of a problem for some topics.  I think it's a good idea to maybe reopen some topics, to perhaps rediscuss, and get more opinions from new members.  The website will become rather stale once everything has been discussed.

Rocky Mountain Ranger said:
From what I've gathered, as soon as a new thread is started, an immediate response is to simply tell the person to go to search.  I understand that many topics have been covered extensively, however it proves somewhat of a problem for some topics.  I think it's a good idea to maybe reopen some topics, to perhaps rediscuss, and get more opinions from new members.  The website will become rather stale once everything has been discussed.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you. "new threads" are often continuams of other threads that the new thread starter didn't bother to research. If it's truly a new thread, it doesn't get jumped on. But figure it out, this forum has been running for a long time, there's few topics that someone hasn't already thought of. SEARCH, use the search function. It's not a hard concept.

If someone starts a new thread and I can pop one or two words from their question into the search function and come up with 6 or 7 replies, I'm pretty sure they didn't use the search function, and that leads me, as a regular user to search the new topics thread only to find out some moron didn't use the search function.

RMR,

the number of simplistic question posted by new members, sometimes within minutes of registering and obviously without any attempt to even look around led to the creation of this post. You may find is offers some perspective.

FRIENDLY ADVICE TO NEW MEMBERS - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24937/post-259412.html#msg259412

The posts where someone is told to search is when they ask simple question. Few start out bye articulating an interest, expressing an opinion (if they have one) and asking specifically for the opinions of other members based on their most recent experiences. All we really seek is for people to have put some thought into their contribution. If we pander to each "newbie" individually we will quickly lose the interest of very experienced members who also look for a very different level of discourse. And we need to keep them interested not only in those levels, but also to the point that they will willingly look in and contribute to the younger members' threads as well.

Mike

Randy_15 said:
Does anyone have an idea of whats going on with my old account?

It exists here:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/members/9260

I'd guess that you forgot the password, but you can reset it on the login screen (assuming the e-mail address is still valid.) I only delete accounts that have been idle for over a year, and then only after notifying the owner and providing a 2 week grace period. It seems that "the short end of the stick" was self imposed in your case. ;)

Cheers
Mike

P.S. On first inspection Randy15's posts seem pretty reasonable to me...

Back