• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

arms on parade used by cadets

mastergunner91 said:
what arms are the cadets able to weild on parade

Cadet units usually use Lee Enfield rifles (the No. 7, if I'm not mistaken) that have been converted to drill-purpose rifles (meaning that the working bits have been removed so the rifles can't be fired).

In some sea cadet units a cutlass is carried on parade.  (A cutlass is a short sword traditionally used by naval boarding parties.)

Some army cadet units may use a sword, in accordance with their regimental customs.

You could also carry the Lee-Enfield Mk.4 (.303 calibre), depending on what your cadet corps has

im with 254 kings edgehill corps and were RHR black watch affiliated and we use a cannon, swords and rifles (Cannon only 2x a year)

rees990 said:
im with 254 kings edgehill corps and were RHR black watch affiliated and we use a cannon, swords and rifles (Cannon only 2x a year)
Why would the Black Watch need a cannon?

If memory serves, the Black Watch were an infantry regiment for one thing, and cannons and the like were part of the Royal Artillery. 

One time while in the Reserves, (Royal Newfoundland Regiment) we had a freedom of the city and went to the local cenotaph cadets were "maning" it with C-7's not sure how that came about, but they did do drill in our amouries while we were training one day with the rifles. Not sure if would have been to 'match" the 3 companies of 2 RNR or not. Anyway in that case they got to go on parade with the same rifle we used.

Hmmm.... for the most part, cadets do not parade with weapons.
Cadet corps usually have some No 7 Lee Enfields rifles and these are often used for their colour parties.  Corps that are affiliated to Reserve / Reg units have borrowed C7s for ceremonies -  again, only for colour parties.

However, with respect to the question, cadet corps do not "drill" with weapons.

Okay, I'll bite

How many rifles does each sea cadet location have, in order to conduct regular rifle drill training?

geo said:
Okay, I'll bite

How many rifles does each sea cadet location have, in order to conduct regular rifle drill training?

Couldn't tell you how it is with all 200-and-something sea cadet corps, but we have about fourteen or fifteen; my last corps had a similar number.

Interesting, most army cadet corps I have seen had a couple of No7s but .... read something like 3
At the same time, they had these old Coey rifles with with wooden block "pistol grips" hammered into their receivers

I have used air rifles for colour party and I have to say that it sucked big time. (nevermind the fact that air rifles arent authorised for drill) and you need a mk 4 or 7, I find it sad that some corps arent able to supply or (dont have enough of them) but its all about money and the fact is there isnt enough for stuff like canoeing & abseiling never mind the rifles

geo said:
Okay, I'll bite

Daughter's corps has/had about 16, two nights of drill a week, nice silent (monkey) drill.  Numbers worked out to a color party escourt and then a 'guard'. The jnr sea cadets (brain fade) used white painted wooden replicas. Geo, just thinking though I cannot think of either an army or air cadet doing rifle drill these days. It seems the navy is the only ones.

3rd Herd said:
Daughter's corps has/had about 16, two nights of drill a week, nice silent (monkey) drill.  Numbers worked out to a color party escourt and then a 'guard'. The jnr sea cadets (brain fade) used white painted wooden replicas. Geo, just thinking though I cannot think of either an army or air cadet doing rifle drill these days. It seems the navy is the only ones.

They're called Navy League 3rd :)

MedTech said:
They're called Navy League 3rd :)

Thank you. So 16 Sea Cadets under a P/O and 12 Navy League. Navy League marched on first, then the Sea Cadets regular arms drill, then silent, then march off. They did one/ maybe two drills for the tattoo in Vic.

Sea Cadets corps are (according to the rules) able to draw enough rifles to outfit a guard - if memory serves correctly.

Some RCSCCs parade (only Ceremonial Divisions, not weekly) with Naval Field Guns, namely 22 Undaunted, 308 Triumph and 40 Falkland.

And insofar as Pac Region is concerned the number 15-16 is appropraite for Army Cadet Corps, except that a lot of that number may be built up with drill purpose rifles vice functioning Lee Enfields. Rifle drill is still apart of the Army Cadet Summer Training programme, and the standads are dictated by the Sea Cadet's drill manual for both the ACL an ACLI D&C Crses.

Back