• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

arms on parade used by cadets

When I was in Navy League (93-95) I was a member of the Colour Party, which contained 3 flag bearers and 2 rifles if memory serves right (This was a long time ago after all). They also had a "Guard" division, which was generally the second year and up cadets, so that would have a maximum of 15 cadets with arms. Then the Coxswain and Colour Party Commander carried a cutlass every parade week. While in Air Cadets we had 3 flags and 2 riflemen in the Flag Party, and during Remembrance Day we supplied 4 cadets for the Honour Guard Party to guard the cross during the ceremony. (In fact, the Sea, Army and Air Cadet units all supplied 4 "guards" and the Sea Cadets usually supply a "Commander"). My Air Cadet Sqn. also had what was called the Sword of Honour, which was, many many years ago given for best unit in the city (until the air cadet won it 5 years in a row, then it was bestowed upon us). The Squadron Commander carried this during all major parades. As for the rifles we used on parade they were all Lee-Enfield .303's, that had spiked barrels. The 3 senior units used the L-E's, and Navy League used what seemed like home made replicas that had wooden dowels as pistol grips. Looked pretty weak actually, but why give a 10-13 year old a real rifle, they weigh too much.

D. Nicholson said:
and the standads are dictated by the Sea Cadet's drill manual for both the ACL an ACLI D&C Crses.

Partially correct as the book tells you what you must do. How well you do it is a different kettle of fish. And again with reference to Sea Cadets just because you look like penguins you do not have to march like them.(ducking a Coxswain's sword). Good drill teams usually have a grey haired half deaf C.I. or C.V. or parent involved who has spent time on the parade square as part of their profession. Next these individuals usually have knowledge of drill moves outside the book. These can be either incorporated into the formal presentation parade, tattoos and parades or just to liven up the twice weekly team practices. As to the Lee Enfields going on memory, bolts were left behind in lock up for drill. So yes there was a ratio of "functioning" rifles to the usual four "spiked" described in this thread. And yes I said formal parades and competitions, remember the judging starts before you move on to the square. Interesting drill in practice  prior to march on indicates a higher level than the norm indicating that Corps (Army, Navy Airforce) has their stuff together.

danchapps,
nice informative post, well done as it covered some areas quite well.

I try to be as accurate as possible. Those were some great years I had, with some great people. It's hard to forget stuff like that. Part of which was during closing ceremonies In Sault St. Marie when we had a mass guard that had the best cadets from each Corps. in it march THROUGH the mass guard that consisted of the best muso's from each Corps. Quite a sight indeed, I wish I could have watched it. Oh well, being #2 marker in the mass guard was cool. As for the numbers and such for the Navy League Corps. I was, I could be a bit fuzzy on it. However, as may have been mentioned before I believe final numbers depend on unit size, and rifles available. In the end it all comes down to dollars as well.

Back