• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arid small pack?

BDTyre

Reaction score
So I'm reading through the NP's article on the arrival of troops in Mali, and the soldier in the first photo really stands out...
http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/a-dozen-canadian-peacekeepers-arrive-in-mali-as-yearlong-mission-begins

He appears to be wearing an arid version of the issue small pack. I can't really see the pack itself, but the accessory pouch is distinctly arid pattern and looks to be configured the same as the small pack or CTS ruck pouches. Does such a thing exist? And if so, why? Surely that is money that could have been used elsewhere.

CanadianTire said:
So I'm reading through the NP's article on the arrival of troops in Mali, and the soldier in the first photo really stands out...
http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/a-dozen-canadian-peacekeepers-arrive-in-mali-as-yearlong-mission-begins

He appears to be wearing an arid version of the issue small pack. I can't really see the pack itself, but the accessory pouch is distinctly arid pattern and looks to be configured the same as the small pack or CTS ruck pouches. Does such a thing exist? And if so, why? Surely that is money that could have been used elsewhere.

Yep it exists, I'm issued one for an upcoming task;as for why it exists, beats me, but I'll tell you I'm glad to have that as opposed to the green bag on a tan background.

what happened to the pack covers we issued in Afghanistan? I worked in clothing stores at KAF and we had tri-walls full of arid covers, like the old winter white ones, that more or less elasticed around the pack and hid everything except for the straps. Same thing for the camel back, except that one was reversible and had a safety reflector on the inside.

CanadianTire said:

The dude with the beard looks very solid. Would not want to cross him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bLUE fOX said:
what happened to the pack covers we issued in Afghanistan? I worked in clothing stores at KAF and we had tri-walls full of arid covers, like the old winter white ones, that more or less elasticed around the pack and hid everything except for the straps. Same thing for the camel back, except that one was reversible and had a safety reflector on the inside.
There are pics in other news articles that had rucks with the covers on them.  Do they even make them for the day pack...?

skp119483979.jpg

trooper142 said:
Yep it exists, I'm issued one for an upcoming task;as for why it exists, beats me, but I'll tell you I'm glad to have that as opposed to the green bag on a tan background.

It exists for the same reason majority of our kit also exists in both patterns, so you can use them in both environments with ease!

The pack is exactly the same as the latest version of the Small Pack System, with the improved rucksack style straps and includes the same pouch system.

RocketRichard said:
The dude with the beard looks very solid. Would not want to cross him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that dude, he's very solid and definitely not one to be crossed  ;)

I know that dude, he's very solid and definitely not one to be crossed  ;)

CF mbr or civy contractor? I would assume from his dress state he is some sort of high speed dude, but (perhaps it's just the photo) he also looks seriously obese...

garb811 said:
There are pics in other news articles that had rucks with the covers on them.  Do they even make them for the day pack...?

skp119483979.jpg

As an aside, the amount of gear that this guy has to drag around, and I assume he isn't carrying any ammo either, is a good example of the kind of experience we are headed for: risk averse, heavy, slow and ponderous, indecisive and bureaucratic.  ;)

daftandbarmy said:
As an aside, the amount of gear that this guy has to drag around, and I assume he isn't carrying any ammo either, is a good example of the kind of experience we are headed for: risk averse, heavy, slow and ponderous, indecisive and bureaucratic.  ;)

If I ever deploy again I'm bolting an Xbox one and flat screen tv into one of my most no-mob boxes.  That's about all they have room to fit anyways.

Loch Sloy! said:
CF mbr or civy contractor? I would assume from his dress state he is some sort of high speed dude, but (perhaps it's just the photo) he also looks seriously obese...

CF Mbr, and it is just the photo. He's not a small man to begin with, but it's not the bad kind of obesity. It's Olympic lifting/powerlifting body.

In that case the photo will be a gold mine of piss taking for his buddies  :rofl:

And yah I know that body type; I had a WO who could run a platoon of athletic kids into the ground and yet would smoke cigarettes before and after. Fierce.

Back