• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Are the Taliban gaining momentum ? Aug 2008

gun runner said:
So why are the newsies not telling us the whole story? Ubique

From my perspective, largely because we (the military) don't tell them anything.  We feed them little unconnected snippets with a bare minimum of info, making it very difficult for them to make any sense at all of the overall picture.

Anyway, even before 2-2 arrived the Americans were a presence in Kandahar Province; between March and July they'd lost more soldiers and Marines in combat here than we had.

I would say that the Taliban have won yet another 'Political' victory in their propaganda war.  Just like the Italians, Spanish, and a few other nations, have capitulated in their efforts in Afghanistan as members of NATO, it looks like Canada's political leaders are going to turn on bended knees and abandon all the work that NATO has achieved to date in improving the situation in Afghanistan and the Region as a whole.  The hard work and effort of Canadians in Afghanistan seems to be lost on Canadian Politicians who don't seem to have the dedication to seeing a job through to completion. 

Are our Politicians cowards?  Are they pawns to Taliban and AQ propaganda?  It would appear so.

With respect to the Harper government I am sure they are watching the opinion polls and there seems to be consensus to hang around until 2011.I am concerned by the lack of progress by the Karzai government in making government work at the basic levels. Killing taliban alone isnt going to do it without progress on the civilian side to include aid projects. I think the direction we are going to go is to find clans/tribes willing to work with us to keep the taliban out of their areas like the awakening organization we saw in Anbar province.Reassessing our use of airstrikes is probably going to happen to get a handle on "civilian" deaths.A mini-surge is in the works but so far the civilian leadership hasnt signed off on all the brigades that McKiernan wants.Petraeus at CENTCOM will try to apply the success in Iraq to Afghanistan. It may be apples and oranges but its worth a shot.

On the combined Al Qeada/Taliban front we find this:

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act  (LINK in Title)

Is al-Qaeda network as strong as ever?

SAEED SHAH

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

September 10, 2008 at 10:33 PM EDT

ISLAMABAD — Seven years after the 9/11 attacks, al-Qaeda has spread its violent tentacles across Pakistan, while its ally, the Taliban, have staged a bloody comeback in Afghanistan.

The radical Islamist group and its local partners have destabilized nuclear-armed Pakistan, and largely taken over its northwest fringe. Afghanistan has been sent into a tailspin of violence. While al-Qaeda was beaten back in Iraq after exacting a heavy toll on human life, its influence is now entrenched in Pakistan and Afghanistan, from where it is feared that terror strikes against the West are still being planned.

Osama bin Laden and his deputy, Ayman al-Zawahiri, remain at large, probably moving between Pakistan's tribal area and adjacent regions of Afghanistan, and they continue to use the news media to spread their message of hate.

U.S. President George W. Bush's announcement this week that thousands more troops would be deployed to Afghanistan was an acknowledgment that the mission there is in peril. The south and east of the country are firmly in the grip of an insurrection that took hold over the past three years, reversing the initial coalition victory in Afghanistan soon after 9/11.

“We've eliminated a lot of important players [in al-Qaeda] but all those players have been substituted,” said Christine Fair, an analyst at Rand Corp., a private U.S. research organization. “There's no question that Pakistan is far less secure than before the launch of the global war on terrorism. It is unquestionable that we are failing in Afghanistan. The Taliban are expanding with alarming success.”

After Pakistan joined Washington's anti-terror fight, it experienced for the first time attacks against its army, ISI intelligence agency and the Frontier Corps paramilitary force that patrols the tribal belt. Established Islamic extremist groups in Pakistan, which had previously been regionally focused and posed little danger to the country as a whole, have taken on al-Qaeda's ideology of global jihad, which means that they now also target their own country.

And new militant groups have developed in Pakistan, most notably Tehreek-i-Taliban, a movement with thousands of warriors that now controls much of the tribal belt that runs along the Afghan border. By the admission of Pakistan's Interior Ministry chief, Tehreek-i-Taliban has been taken over by al-Qaeda. During the past year, Pakistan has been rocked by dozens of suicide bombings, more and deadlier assaults than seen even in Afghanistan.

Al-Qaeda has also successfully colonized numerous other extremist groups in Pakistan, such as Jaish-e-Mohammed and Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, which have cells across the country that it can use to carry out attacks. Some of these groups had, or retain, murky relationships with Pakistan's intelligence agencies, which means that al-Qaeda benefits from an element of state patronage. But Pakistan's ability to manage these groups, once used to fight proxy wars in India and Afghanistan, has slipped from its grasp since its alliance with the United States drove the militants into al-Qaeda's embrace.

“They [militant groups] have got out of control,” said Muhammed Amir Rana, director of the Pakistan Institute for Peace Studies, an independent think tank in Islamabad. “A few of them are involved in sectarian activities, some of them are [fighting] in Kashmir, everything has been scattered. Officials are very disturbed, they have no strategy now for dealing with them.”

The closeness of a key Afghan Taliban commander to al-Qaeda was shown this week when a U.S. missile struck the home, in Pakistan's tribal territory, of Jalaluddin Haqqani, a veteran jihadist whose network has staged some of the most daring recent attacks on coalition forces. Among the dead were reportedly four al-Qaeda operatives, including two key lieutenants.

But while Pakistan has been thrown into chaos, and life in Afghanistan is much more insecure today than it was even under Taliban rule in the 1990s, there has been no attack on the U.S. mainland since 2001, a vindication for some, whatever the price in other countries.

“Al-Qaeda demonstrated the potential on 9/11 for being a strategic threat to the United States,” said Kamran Bokhari, director of Middle East analysis at Stratfor, a private U.S. intelligence firm. “Al-Qaeda is now down to a tactical-level threat. The fact that there hasn't been a follow-up attack in the United States speaks volumes of the success of the United States against this transnational, non-state actor.”

But rising anti-Americanism across much of the Islamic world and among Muslim immigrant communities in the West continues to inspire recruits to the radicals' cause. And while most remain outside of any sort of central control of al-Qaeda, local terror cells inspired by Mr. bin Laden have staged murderous attacks in London and Madrid, and numerous other plots have been caught before they could be executed.

“Al-Qaeda today is as dangerous a threat as ever. It has a secure safe haven in Pakistan, a revived ally in the Taliban and can operate on a global basis,” said former CIA officer Bruce Riedel, author of The Search for Al Qaeda. “I think it remains a strategic threat, and those who argue it is not are underestimating it.”

Special to The Globe and Mail

More at LINK, including Comments.

Well I for one hope that Harper gets re-elected to a majority government for once. That way he can get the influence to do in Afghanistan what needs to be done rather than pander to the opposition for permission to do this or that. So in responce to GEORGE WALLACE, I dont think the govt are cowards..just trying to get the majority it needs to get the job done.Ubique

gun runner said:
Well I for one hope that Harper gets re-elected to a majority government for once. That way he can get the influence to do in Afghanistan what needs to be done rather than pander to the opposition for permission to do this or that. So in responce to GEORGE WALLACE, I dont think the govt are cowards..just trying to get the majority it needs to get the job done.Ubique

So, you propose he should lie?

I know......All politicians lie.

I personally don't believe for a minute we will pull out in 2011. Maybe a shift from a Combatant force to PRT 98% of the time. I think the statement that we are going to pull out in 2011 and "the Afghan Government will have to start pulling its own weight" is meant to send a strong message to say, 'get your shit together' ANA.

I also think the statement was meant to give a 'light at the end of the tunnel' feeling to the Canadian populace.
We and Military leaders are fully aware that if the Afghan war is lost, the evils of 9/11 will return. Its as simple as that, there will be no full withdraw, just a major shift in priorities/operation commitments.

Admiral: US military 'running out of time' in Afghanistan

The US military is not winning the war in Afghanistan and is "running out of time" for a workable strategy to combat the insurgency there, the Pentagon's uniformed leader said today.

"I'm not convinced we are winning it in Afghanistan. I am convinced we can," navy admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, told Congress – the first sentence not present in his prepared testimony.

The admission was a bleak reminder of the increasingly unstable and violent situation in Afghanistan seven years after western troops first toppled the Taliban. Analysts admit that al-Qaida and other militant groups are freely operating along the Afghanistan-Pakistan border.

Despite what Mullen called the "desire" of Nato commander David McKiernan for three more army brigades of soldiers in Afghanistan, George Bush said yesterday he would send one extra brigade and one new battalion of US marines.

Mullen told members of the House of Representatives that he is working on a revised approach to the conflict "that covers both sides of the [Afghanistan-Pakistan] border", but he warned that it could be impossible to succeed without a more coordinated strategy.

"Absent a broader international and interagency approach to the problems there, it is my professional opinion that no amount of troops in no amount of time can ever achieve all the objectives we seek," Mullen said.

The US military presence in Iraq is nearly three times as large as that in Afghanistan, where both Barack Obama and John McCain have backed adding more troops. The two candidates differ more markedly on Iraq: McCain blasts Obama's withdrawal plan there as an admission of loss at the expense of winning in Afghanistan.

Mullen reminded Congress, however, that an effective strategy should involve more than military might but also economic and social development.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/sep/10/usa.usforeignpolicy?gusrc=rss&feed=worldnews

Edit:
And more info on Adm.Mullen speaking to Congress

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/10/AR2008091001396.html

The battle has to go into Pakistan's northern regions. The talifuks are hiding in there like the cowards they are. Lets not even start on 2 faced Pakistan and the problems with them....

Yes, but that fight has to be lead by the Pakistanis themselves.  It doesn't make much sense to be picking a fight with Pakistan when we're already tapped out against the Taliban as is.  There's common interest between us and them in stopping the extremists, the trouble is they're walking a tightrope and currently terribly distracted with internal strife in other more important (for them) areas.

As for the Taliban, and the Pashtun insurgents at large, I find them a vicious bunch of xenophobic zealots - but I can't honestly call them cowards.  Worse luck.  If they were they'd be easier to beat.

Agreed T.I.M.. I myself think Pakistan should allow closer cooperation with the Coalition inside their borders. I'm thinking our forces in the Stan and Pakistan need to get a plan together to clean out Pakistan's un-unified Northern regions. Of course this would be a very touchy operation as our forces wouldn't attack the Pushtans... The idea brings up a a lot of questions... Would such a plan be acceptable? Pakistan to attack it's rebels, while we indirectly assist them... Hermmmm....

Regardless, the problem does lay there. Something has to be done or there will be no end in sight.

P.S.
I refer to them as cowards because they utilize IED's. What a disgusting tactic.

I think Pakistan currently is trying to play both sides.  They've made a peace deal with the Taliban, but at the same time are quietly allowing the Americans to strike into the border area. . . and then vociferously decrying American attacks which I bet they've secretly OK'd.  Problem is it's a political minefield both for their internal situation and relations with the US, and they're only going to be able to walk it for so long before they step on something that blows the whole tenuous deal to bits. . . and Pakistan's current leadership does not strike me as very sure footed.

LOL! Yup, you're touching on the '2 faced Pakistan' I noted earlier.
:p
Like that one uncleared report on Pakistan taking coalition payouts from the US but then supplying the Talifuks with that same money...

Afghanistan will be won over completely by ISAF, and it is the obvious job of the media to make things hard. Let the armies and NATO and UN do their job, by highlighting that 10 kids died in a training camp in PAKISTAN (and most of them will be foreign national i.e. syrian, afghani, pakistanis, etc...). Bad media is making our goals in Afghanistan ridiculously hard to complete. so to the TORONTO STAR and the SUN especially, let the army do their job, and go paparazzi some morons in hollywood.
my 2 cents.

P.S. There is no point of dealing with Pakistan like a national government, 1. There really is no government there that has any real power (its actually worse under musharaff. wow that was hard to say). 2, Pakistan doesnt know what it wants, all the lawyers in pakistan protest when one judge is decomissioned, where are they when honour killings happen or when their beloved Pakistani government is aiding and supplying the terrorists that are active all over the world especially in afghanistan and india (kashmir). 3, Pakistan's border with Afg. is disputed due to Pashtun claims that it is rather a region under their tribal autonomy, and in almost all cases it is found to be true. If this land belongs to the Pashtuns, and the Pashtuns are housing the terrorists, the Pashtun will be targeted, plus Pakistan shouldnt feel threatned considering they dont consider themselves Pakistani (other national conflicts include the Balochistani separation movement, etc.)

GO HARPER haha

There was a vid on youtube filmed in Pashtun. (I do not claim the vid to be true nor its translation) but from what was on youtube before it got banned was a Pashtun soldier saying they are about to launch a major attack against the Pakistan army and that US forces should not interfere. He goes on to say that the Pashtun's are not harboring the Talifuks and that their fight is not with our forces.

I replied, you don't want to get involved in our conflict, get the Talifuks out of your "claimed" territory and stop them from from doing their 'hit and run tactics' based within your lands. The terrorist didn't reply to me.

This is all looking like Vietnam, where the enemy hides across a border which the war cannot enter. If things do not change in Pakistan... it's Vietnam all over gain.

Ok, so it will be a Vietnam all over again... well, what did that war teach us about guerrilla conflict? Unless you have overwhelming firepower and the soldiers to get metal on target.. then it simply will not be accomplished. I feel that the U.S. troop surge into Afghanistan will be the deciding factor in whether we will actually get anything worthwhile out of this war on terrorism. It is obviously not going to happen with the current troop strength and the fence sitting by some of our NATO partners. WE NEED THESE BOOTS ON THE GROUND ! The talifuks are doing just as you say..hiding where we cannot go. So let us set up an F.O.B. every 500 yards and wait for them to show their ugly faces ,and blow them off then. If we cannot keep up the patrols that will find these jerks, let's get more operators to do the job right the first time..every time. Ubique

For as long as we don't have the troops to actually hold the territory we capture the Taliban will "always" have their bases to attack from and villagers that look to them for support since our coalition forces can't get to them or help them. Until there are more troops (which will be happening now that things have settled in Iraq) we won't be able to completely stop the Taliban since when we can't provide them security they will look for it elsewhere. I'm sure once several more brigades pop up there will be assured security for the Afghans and no real reason for the populace to even think of joining the Taliban.

As for the incursions into Pakistan, all I can say is that it should have happened a while ago. Pakistan "was" just short of offering them sanctuary and recently that's exactly what they were doing followed by the many other questionable actions. If nothing was to be done about the insurgents in Pakistan I don't think total security in Afghanistan would have been remotely possible.

In my opinion things look pretty bright for Afghanistan in the near future, insurgents are being routed out of Pakistan and there will be enough troops to watch over the land that's freed from the Taliban. I just hope that if things finally settle in Afghanistan that there won't be a large surge of activity in Iraq shortly after. An attack on Iran or anything to that degree definitely has a chance of destabilizing things there and it looks like that's unavoidable.

Back