• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Are Level III security checks done before attending BMQ??

kolkol

Inactive
Reaction score
(Yes I searched)
My question pertains primarily to the NAV COMM trade, which as I understand, requires a Level III security clearance. But its also in demand ATM. Does this mean I'll get all my paperwork done and have to wait a year + (as rumours have it) for my Level III to be processed before I can be shipped off to BMQ and Naval training?

Thanks!
PS. Go Habs Go

From what I've read in many other threads regarding the same subject, your security clearance process isn't started until BMQ, before you get there is only your background check.

They will start you security clearance DURING BMQ (Make sure you take all your info with you!)

You do not NEED your security clearance before your QL3 course after BMQ.

Typically a Security clearance isn't initiated until after you are posted to your first unit after DP1/QL3. That way there is no waste of funds investigating a want to be Nav Comm turned Cook for a Lvl 3 clearance.

Tango18A said:
Typically a Security clearance isn't initiated until after you are posted to your first unit after DP1/QL3. That way there is no waste of funds investigating a want to be Nav Comm turned Cook for a Lvl 3 clearance.

Completely wrong. 

As Otis said (and he's a recruiter, he ought to know), clearances are initiated during BMQ, as some trades require clearances for some phases of their QL3 course.  Nav Comm is one of them.

As a matter of fact, unless something has changed recently, one needs a minimum Level 1 clearance to even be posted to a ship - regardless of trade.  Cooks, stewards, and supply techs included.

Well I guess the times are a changing then. It has been 20 yrs since my first PSCQ was filled out.

Occam said:
Completely wrong. 

As Otis said (and he's a recruiter, he ought to know), clearances are initiated during BMQ, as some trades require clearances for some phases of their QL3 course.  Nav Comm is one of them.

As a matter of fact, unless something has changed recently, one needs a minimum Level 1 clearance to even be posted to a ship - regardless of trade.  Cooks, stewards, and supply techs included.

Correct, thats the biggest problem the combat operator trades have right now, is waiting months for clearances.

Yes Signal OPs does need guys, when I applied they needed 69 that was 2 and a half weeks ago, but be aware from those who I talked to says you willhave to be in really good shape, carrying your rucksack plus a radio could be challanging to some, so just dont join it to get in.

Robbie4296 said:
carrying your rucksack plus a radio could be challanging to some, so just dont join it to get in.

Some Sig Ops rarely see their rucks aside from the yearly BFT.  Humping a radio is dependent on the unit you goto and your job or position on tour, etc.

In my case (Logistic Officer) I only need a Level 1 for now and my recruting officer tell me that he already did my security check, I already have the level 1. The best idea it's probably to ask your recruiting center about it.

Algae said:
In my case (Logistic Officer) I only need a Level 1 for now and my recruting officer tell me that he already did my security check, I already have the level 1. The best idea it's probably to ask your recruiting center about it.

Odd, from what I understand via reading & what I've been told at the CFRC while doing some general inquiries, your security clearance (Be it level 1, 2 or 3 depending on your trade) isn't applied for until you submit your 330-60 during basic.

Well, the forum is a good place to find general and useful information, but if you want specific information about your case, call your recruiting center.

When you join, your security clearance is "enhanced" during BMQ, or possibly on PAT/PRETC you will start the paperwork to get a higher security clearance(example Level 2 Secret) and by the time you are in your trades training or possibly at your unit you will get your clearance and you sign a piece of paper saying you have whatever level.  For officiers I'm not sure, but I'm sure it would be similar.

Actually that makes sense skeletor, since the guys I talked to about this have already did a couple of tours(non-signal ops), and had to hump the radio a couple of tmes, so it would make alot of sense, that part of the signal ops would stand out. Thanks for the reply, wasnt really looking foward to carrying both all the time.

-Skeletor- said:
Some Sig Ops rarely see their rucks aside from the yearly BFT.  Humping a radio is dependent on the unit you goto and your job or position on tour, etc.

Not to mention the 152 is REALLY light.

As a sigop, I recall the initial process of issuing an enhanced reliability check. During BMQ the process is started for the remainder of the security clearances needed.

They come through later on, when you are on or after your QL3 training.  The higher the clearance level, the longer it takes for the clearance to be completed..

Nites

Thanks for the answers, really helpfull, question though for Nite, what level of security clearance does a signal op need, I have checked all over, nothing in print, but kinda told it was pretty high, could you confirm this? It would be crappy if I applied for something I would never get.

For Sig Op usually you will get your Level II Secret during your QL3 and once at a unit you will do the paperwork for Level III Top Secret.  BTW Robbie, I've been a Sig Op for the last 4 years. I might know a thing or two about the trade  :p

Niteshade said:
Not to mention the 152 is REALLY light.

Yea, some guys will use the MBITR and 152s, but theres still guys humping the manpack radios.  If you got a strong back your good to go haha

Thanks Skeletor, my answer Ihave been waiting for, Level III sounds serious, but I have a pardon application already started so hopefully that gets granted before. Recruiting has not asked for me to get one but I thought it would be a good idea just in case, geez record is 6-7 years old and just put in for the trade 2 and a half weeks ago, and by reading tons of posts I got about 6month wait, lots of time to wait, Thanks again!!

-Skeletor- said:
For Sig Op usually you will get your Level II Secret during your QL3 and once at a unit you will do the paperwork for Level III Top Secret.  BTW Robbie, I've been a Sig Op for the last 4 years. I might know a thing or two about the trade  :p
I applied for Signal Officer and I am waiting for security clearance (Level III) even before CFAT. I can't do CFAT without it.

Question for Nite and Skeletor, how have you found working in the SigOp trade, is it something your always learning something new or do you get bored?? Other than whats outlined of the CF website is there something there leaving out?

Back