• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Are civilian qualifications that are related to but not required considerd?

Adrian_888

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi. My question is: Are civilian qualifications that are related to a trade, but not necessarily required for entering that trade, considered in the process of getting that job?

For example, I am interested in working with bombs/IED's (particularly within Canada, but obviously I gotta take what I can get), now I know the squads use robots, and I know it would require electrical knowledge. If I have civilian qualifications with robotics and electrical engineering, and some previous military training, does this substantially increase my chance of getting into such a trade?

I realize there are other hurtles to getting such a specialized trade, but that is not the topic of my question. (I would however happily accept any PM's from anyone who knows anything about the trade I am inquiring to)

Thank you very much.
-Adrian

You want to do EOD - you have to get into a trade that will accomodate your wishes, since EOD isn't a trade.  All the robotics classes in the world won't help you if you can't be a combat engineer, ammo tech, clearance diver, etc.

MM

Thanks for the response. Lets say that trade is competitive to get into (as it probably is right now) would my civilian training make the army more willing to train me in the things I was lacking, knowing that once trained I would have that extra insight into the equipment i was using? Or are they just as happy to have the guy operating the robot just know how to use it?

On a side note. Who is it that works with the RCMP for domestic bomb threats? I read that it was a mix of military and RCMP. effort

Adrian_888 said:
On a side note. Who is it that works with the RCMP for domestic bomb threats? I read that it was a mix of military and RCMP. effort

The same people that do operational EOD? I have no doubt that the people who conduct domestic counter-terrorism operations do so secretly and are not advertised as to who they are.

PuckChaser said:
The same people that do operational EOD? I have no doubt that the people who conduct domestic counter-terrorism operations do so secretly and are not advertised as to who they are.

A unit I worked with used to help the local police agencies with some of their EOD work.

As for working the robots, there are people that are trained as techs for the devices and the folks get the training on the equipment they need to know...if they have training already, they still get trained on in to be sure they're trained the way the teams want them trained.

Getting into trades with EOD capability, like any trades, are competitive...and becoming a clearance diver is remuster only and it's an extremely arduous journey to get into there.  But I don't think you're hearing something - EOD isn't a trade, it's a component of a trade only, so you still have to make it in the other trade to get to that point where you're doing bomb tech stuff.  Driving the robot is only a small part of that.

MM

Adrian_888 said:
would my civilian training make the army more willing to train me in the things I was lacking, knowing that once trained I would have that extra insight into the equipment i was using?

You may never even be employed in the EOD role, regardless of which trade you chose.

Back