• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

Doesn't fit the narrative of the current Fed Gov't that's why.
Then the RCN PA folks wouldn’t have been approved to release the article.

The LPC is (rightly) getting lambasted for the state of the CAF. Any “good news story” would be a break for them.

You should have seen MON on the way out the door on the weekend...it was notable...alas, when you've only got so many person hours, and so many things that actually need repair/maintenance, I can see how rusticles have less meaning.

I was just going to ask about that.

Seems unsightly
I can’t remember where I heard this, but I thought that due to environmental regs (especially in the US and Canada), you can’t paint ship while underway.

I can’t remember where I heard this, but I thought that due to environmental regs (especially in the US and Canada), you can’t paint ship while underway.
Its a lot of things. Once each year we sent ships down to the naval station Roosevelt Roads Puerto just to paint the ship and that was over 25 years ago. Ships now get a full paint ship each time they go into a refit by contractors and it could be years between refits. The type of paint is changed to two part product and we no longer allowed to paint ourselves except for touchups and even then massive precautions. I would imagine Esquimalt even has stricter regs on painting. When Montreal left she was looking a little haggard especially when she deployed only 6 months ago. With the month before deployment filled with maintenance, lectures, DAG, refresher training, appointments, and getting ready for WUPS sprucing up the ship was low priority.

Lot's of the higher end merchant ships are in good repair, despite minimal docking and refits. I have to wonder if they use better coatings and prep work?

Lot's of the higher end merchant ships are in good repair, despite minimal docking and refits. I have to wonder if they use better coatings and prep work?
Most don’t brave weather that Navies sail in though. Also one tends to suspect private entities may not alway heed environmental regulations on painting.

The type of paint is changed to two part product and we no longer allowed to paint ourselves except for touchups and even then massive precautions.
The paint is probably a polyurethane epoxy with isocyanate as the hardener-key word there is cyanate as in cyanide. My son almost got busted last December for spray foaming a house boat on the water even though everything was tarped and boom around it. Nosy neighbours called Transport Canada/CCG/MOE. Apparently nothing was allowed to fall in the water, anything that did was a contaminant. Not much of a sense of humour about it as my son asks even my hat? Answer YES

you really think so? Sitting next to Lock 1 on the Welland might just change your mind about that. Most going through are showing significant rust, dents, scrapes. I believe that they require an out of water inspection every 5 years and I can assure you that when they leave the dry dock many have not been re-pointed and if they are fresh water sailors they have not been undercoated

you really think so? Sitting next to Lock 1 on the Welland might just change your mind about that. Most going through are showing significant rust, dents, scrapes. I believe that they require an out of water inspection every 5 years and I can assure you that when they leave the dry dock many have not been re-pointed and if they are fresh water sailors they have not been undercoated
i said higher end merchant ships, the various fleets run the gambit that goes from death trap to Starship. merchants try to avoid storms, but they have routes and timetables they must meet. They spend a lot of time at sea. I would agree that they are not as particular as we are in regards to the environment.

Back