• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

AOPS is designed to operate in the Arctic between June and October, even CCG icebreakers are not regularly present for the winter months in the Arctic. Going around Cape Horn wouldn't be especially pleasant as well, best to get the ship to the West Coast and let the crews train up before any substantial operations are undertaken.

AOPS is designed to operate in the Arctic between June and October, even CCG icebreakers are not regularly present for the winter months in the Arctic. Going around Cape Horn wouldn't be especially pleasant as well, best to get the ship to the West Coast and let the crews train up before any substantial operations are undertaken.
Only the Russians have icebreakers that work the arctic in the winter and they focus most on keeping their northern sea route open.

IKR, the way Greta and the gang talk I thought the iqualoitians would have their beach umbrellas out already 😁
I've always thought if the warming was totally real....two things....first everyone from Obama to Soros has bought beachfront mansions...second and being more serious, Canada would be the biggest net beneficiary in the world. I see no move to win on this. Opening up the north would be just one big win. But nothing from the powers that be.

Edit...Beneficiary not benefactor

Last edited:

it helps to keep current conditions for perspective and not those from 20 yrs ago. Note the above is not meant for navigation but we are at or near the winter maximum
Interesting, all the thickness values are modelled but they don't seem to reference any groundtruthing to ensure their model is accurate. I learned over the years that modelling without groundtruthing always needs to be treated with caution.

Interesting, all the thickness values are modelled but they don't seem to reference any groundtruthing to ensure their model is accurate. I learned over the years that modelling without groundtruthing always needs to be treated with caution.

there are some data from in place measurements and buoys but most is off satellites now. You also have to take into account for example with ice extent that the cell only needs to be 15% covered in ice and each cell is 100km2 i think

there are some data from in place measurements and buoys but most is off satellites now. You also have to take into account for example with ice extent that the cell only needs to be 15% covered in ice and each cell is 100km2 i think
Thanks for the comment. Took a quick look and found this interesting bit on the buoys. Ingenious way of doing things.

This is a older report

Here is a new rabbit hole I will have to go down. Domestic ice reconnaissance done by the local communities. These are the sort things I like to see, beyond just the data. The jobs, the pride in providing information to the community all help to make them healthier.

Atlas

Thanks for the comment. Took a quick look and found this interesting bit on the buoys. Ingenious way of doing things.

This is a older report

Here is a new rabbit hole I will have to go down. Domestic ice reconnaissance done by the local communities. These are the sort things I like to see, beyond just the data. The jobs, the pride in providing information to the community all help to make them healthier.

Atlas
We dont use and equip our northern communities as we should.
Northern resupply with ice capable freight/RORO ships manned by Reservist that can be optioned for CAF material lift
DAME, whatever we choose in every northern community for sovereignty patrols and SAR-Rangers
Northern utility/Twin Otter replacement?

We dont use and equip our northern communities as we should.
Northern resupply with ice capable freight/RORO ships manned by Reservist that can be optioned for CAF material lift
DAME, whatever we choose in every northern community for sovereignty patrols and SAR-Rangers
Northern utility/Twin Otter replacement?
I would put into place Naval Reserve units at two places, one Western and one Eastern Arctic. Build a large hanger with attached building and launching ramp with apron that helicopters can also land on. Equip them with a CB-90 boat and a large RHIB. Boats and training inside during winter. Patrolling and supporting the Rangers, RCMP, CCG and CAF in the summer. It will need a fair bit of support from the south for the first 10 years, but the goal is to develop local capability. Adapt the CAF approach to the local conditions, not the other way around.

I would put into place Naval Reserve units at two places, one Western and one Eastern Arctic. Build a large hanger with attached building and launching ramp with apron that helicopters can also land on. Equip them with a CB-90 boat and a large RHIB. Boats and training inside during winter. Patrolling and supporting the Rangers, RCMP, CCG and CAF in the summer. It will need a fair bit of support from the south for the first 10 years, but the goal is to develop local capability. Adapt the CAF approach to the local conditions, not the other way around.
Or we can just wait for the CCP or others to get it done.......

Is that not current policy?

Having no policy with matching capability is the same thing as the CCP policy.

Having no policy with matching capability is the same thing as the CCP policy.
Really my point said nicer. LOL.

If things keep moving in the direction they are the world is going to wake up with PLA China MinMetals Minerals Corp. bases in the artic circle. China is going to demand something of Putin in the near future. What is the price of Haishenwai to Putin?

Back