• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arc'teryx Atom LT vs Snugpak Sleeka

hammond

Inactive
Reaction score
I own both a Sleeka and an Atom; both are very warm but I prefer the Sleeka for military use. It's ample cut will let you put it on over other clothing when in a hurry.

Thanks for the reply, what about for use under like the combat shirt, or a hard shell like the rain gear? Which one do you find compresses the best?

IslandTrooper said:
Thanks for the reply, what about for use under like the combat shirt, or a hard shell like the rain gear? Which one do you find compresses the best?

I did not carry out a battery of scientific tests on them; they seem to have similar performances. Their capacity to be compressed are also similar; like I said, I use the sleeka for military use, but I find the Atom a high quality jacket.

I've used the Sleeka quite a bit for both civvy and military purposes, as well as other similar jackets and fleeces. Being a 'puffy jacket' it can get wet and lose warmth moreso than a fleece or wool product (although it shouldn't if you're able to delayer as required) so I would argue that one doesn't neccessarily replace the other.

You may want to consider wearning a softshell or a stealth suit under your combat shirt/jacket, then keeping the Sleeka for those times when you're not moving around much. I usually wear the MEC softshell 'Fusion' hoodie and pants in the mountains, and they're awesome - and fairly cheap : http://www.feedthehabit.com/skiing/mec-fusion-softshell-hoodie-and-pants-review-mens-and-womens/

The sleeka is a great piece of kit (I'm not ashamed to admit I have one), but unless you're looking for that, "Yeah, I picked this up at the NAAFI when I was in the 'Stan...did I mention I was in Kandahar?" cachet, its probably cheaper and easier to get something from MEC of Arcteryx, which is of comprable quality...also, Canadian!

That said, you never know what your chain will allow unless you ask around. Some may let something like a Sleeka slide because folks have been bringing them back from theare for awhile now, but balk at something else...I would recommend you consult your tribal elders for advice.

Back