• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Computer Tips and Tricks

GnyHwy said:
I realize that this question doesn't measure up to geekiness of this thread, but I didn't want to start another thread, and this is the closest one that I could find to answer my question.

In reference to this site:  How do insert a photo in the middle of your text?  I understand you can add it as an attachment, but it gets attached at the end.  I also see the insert image function, but what do you put in between the brackets?

Thanks

You have to use a photo host such as Photobucket.  Upload to the host, and they provide a link to the photo.  Or, you can try hotlinking directly to a photo on a website, if you know the URL - but some websites don't like that.  I'll link one below so you can see the code.

The difference between using the IMG tags and attaching a photo is who gets hit for the bandwidth.  If you use an IMG tag, the place where the photo is hosted is hit for the bandwidth.  If you make it an attachment, then Army.ca gets hit for the bandwidth.

041211-beer.jpg

edit:  if you hit the "Quote" button on this message, you'll be able to see the IMG tags in use...

dapaterson said:
Ah, computer discussions always bring out cultists.  As I don't like wearing black turtlenecks, iThink iWill give the iMac a pass.

I used to like AVG, but after about v5 it became a massive resource hog.  For less hgh-powered computers with a reliable internet connection I've moved to the free Panda cloud AV; very small resource bite (MS Security Essentials can be a resource hog as well, and doesn't always multi-task nicely).

I'm also an OpenOffice fan; I know of at least one federal government department that's moving from MS Office to Open Office.  Hopefully the full federal government will do so; the millions paid every year in licensing are throwing away money to little effect.

I have to agree about AVG as I had the same problem. For anti-virus/firewall I use the paid version of ZoneAlarm. I've got no complaints and its rated as one of the best out there.

Also an OpenOffice fan. Never heard of LibreOffice before, unfortunately all my files are in OpenOffice formate so changing programs would be counter-productive. BTW, OpenOffice has a new update Apache OpenOffice 3.4 available. I've just downloaded it and while I haven't really had a chance to compare it to previous versions, files do seem to load faster.

Best browser? Pretty subjective. I've used Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome and Opera at one time or another and had various problems with them; Firefox kept crashing/locking-up and Chrome was a memory hog. Can't remember much about using Safari. Right now I use Opera because it has the best features (e.g. Speed Dial, integrated mail program, ease of use, etc). One drawback for Opera is that its not compatible with some sites (e.g. watching movies on Netflix) and I'm forced to use MSIE.

One program I'm quite impressed with is SiSoftware's Sandra, a benchmarking, information and diagnostic utility. It comes in both free and paid versions.

Retired AF Guy said:
Also an OpenOffice fan. Never heard of LibreOffice before, unfortunately all my files are in OpenOffice formate so changing programs would be counter-productive. BTW, OpenOffice has a new update Apache OpenOffice 3.4 available. I've just downloaded it and while I haven't really had a chance to compare it to previous versions, files do seem to load faster.

LibreOffice is built upon OpenOffice. Both branched out in different directions. OpenOffice is backed by Oracle, LibreOffice, by the Document Foundation which is backed by Google, SUSE & Red Hat. Both are the same concept, different flavours. Major difference is that LibreOffice is being developed at a much faster rate and is mobile friendly.

The number of extensions available to LibreOffice, make it a winner in my book  :)

Word of caution: I recently got into a lot of trouble for submitting a document written in LibreOffice (ODF) and converting it to DOC/DOCX, there are a lot of silly things that happen (e.g. double word spacing, inconsistent return carriages, etc). To be safe, submit in PDF if possible. The reason I work in ODF is that some of my extensions are limited to that format :(

Edit: incorrect information

RDJP said:
Haven't used it yet, but a teaching colleague states that Google Drive is much quicker than Dropbox, and has a 5g instead of a 2g capacity.  Just a thought.

An OC48 with SSH will do the trick to !

Back