• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Applying from outside Canada (Merged)

macknightcr

Inactive
Reaction score
Alright I am 21 years old and just now applying to RMC, here in the states I graduated high school with a 3.2 GPA then attended a local University where I found partying to be my downfall and had a horrible GPA 1.8 (I think).  Since then I have attended another school and my GPA is now a 3.5.  I have played hockey my whole life, coached it a little, I'm a volunteer fire fighter, a member/founder of a running club, play flag football with friends on weekends, work 40 hours a week, while at my "failure of a university" I joined a fraternity and we raised thousands of dollars for cancer research, we walk in the relay for life, and we helped a local sorority raise money for Hurricane Katrina relief, and my father attended and graduated from RMC in '81.  Do I sound like I have a chance of getting in?  I have always wanted to join the military and attend a military school, growing up in the states everyone talks about Annapolis, but I have always wanted to go to RMC. 

You need to be a Canadian Citizen to apply at RMC.  I don't know your background exactly, I tought you'd need to know.

Second, your best bet is to actually go to a recruiting center and apply.  No one here can tell you wether or not you will make it. 

I am a Canadian Citizen, and am in the process of sending all the required documents to a recruiting center in Ontario.  I have also filled out the on line application so I have a file opened with the Canadian Forces.

You sound like one of my friends who's entering 2nd year at RMC right now. He lived down south for 4 years, and got into RMC quite easily. But things do change from year to year.

I was in the exact same situation 6 yrs ago.  I graduated RMC in 08, came from Texas, doing pilot crap now.  I`ll try to address everything, but it`s been awhile, so I`ll probably miss something.

Step 1:  Call the recruiting centre in Ottawa.  They are the ones that handle the recruiting for the region outside of Canada.  Get things going as soon as possible with them.  My experience was that they did not like dealing with me from outside the country... I had to take the initiative wrt paperwork.   

Note: they only cover your travel expenses for Canada, ie if you buy a plane ticket from Virginia to Ottawa, they will give you money for your taxi from the Ottawa airport to the NDHQ headquarters. 

Step 2:  Medical- I`m a bit sketchy on this one, but if memory serves me right, you need to make sure that you have your medical scheduled in the same time frame as your initial interview, aptitude test and piss test, if not you end up making another trip.

Step 3: Enrollment- Enrollment ceremony is a bit before your course will start (are new cadets back to doing initial training at St Jean, or still at RMC?).  Anyways, you show up for enrollment, take some time off (depending on training course) and catch the bus to RMC or the MEGA in St Jean.

Step 4: Getting stuff sent from the US to Canada, either at RMC or once you leave RMC: the military won`t pay for it.  You are entitled for a move from your place of enrollment (Ottawa) when you are posted, not where you moved from.  For almost everyone these two places are one and the same, but not for you.  If you have any furniture that you can't ship, might as well sell it.

Lastly, what trade are you gunning for?  If you are going for aircrew, the process is different... check the million aircrew posts.

that's what I got... cheers

Let me clarify a couple of points from my experience. I have two sons who applied from the US: one is going into his final year next year; and the other missed the deadline for an application this year, so will be applying next.

We started my son's application online, but at some point early in the process, you need to actually go into the CFRC to speak with whomever is responsible for your file.  For my son who made it into RMC< there were in the space of a year, three different custodians of his file, which made continuity on outstanding issues/paperwork quite entertaining.

We forwarded all the application material through CFRC Toronto. We had no dealings with Ottawa. No one indicated that Ottawa looked after out of country recruiting.
In hindsight, I would likely have had my sons deal with a smaller CFRC like London: easier to get to from where we are and less likelihood of paperword getting lost (happened to us three times).  Two couriered packages that were signed for at the front desk of the CFRC were lost somewhere inside the building.
One lesson learned:  follow up on any paperwork submitted within the week to confirm it has made it into your file.  The lost paperwork was part of the reason my son missed the submission deadline this past year and was not considered. In hindsight, he did submit it late in the process, but nonetheless, having it lost at the CFRC was not something you expect.

CF only pays for any travel from border to CFRC. Travel to border was our responsibility. We drove him up so it wasn't that big an expense, but it something to factor that into your budget.

We were able to get the medical, and other tests combined into one appointment by continually pushing the issue. We ended up talking with the Det Comd to get this sorted out.

You will need to complete a request through the FBI for a 'police check'.  I am going to say it was a security check, but that is likely the wrong term.  Anyway, someone can correct me on terminology, but essentially this is required from the FBI to confirm that you have no outstanding convictions etc from your time in the US. There is a fairly standard fax format you complete and fire in that is completed pretty quickly.

Swearing in ceremony took place at CFRC Toronto and was well in advance of my son's course.  Plan on a good half day cause there always seems to be some last minute paperwork to complete.

Anyway, our experiences for what it's worth.

As the title says, I am in the process of applying to RMC while living in Virginia.  I am curious to know what anyone else experienced, either applying to RMC or to the CF from America. 

As of now my process has been very smooth, but I am still waiting on my FBI background check in order to move along and hopefully be accepted to RMC.

You're not the first and you certainly won't be the last; I know people who got into RMC from as far away as England and Germany as well as several people from the States. Best of luck to you,

This is a similar thread.  In the last one I was wondering if I was a suitable candidate for RMC.  In this one I am curious to know what people went through (hurdles they had to cross) while joining the CF from the States.

macknightcr said:
This is a similar thread.  In the last one I was wondering if I was a suitable candidate for RMC.  In this one I am curious to know what people went through (hurdles they had to cross) while joining the CF from the States.

Why don't I just merge the two for you anyway.......

Just an update.  I recieved my FBI Background check in the mail yesterday and it was clear, no arrest record.  I faxed it to the Recruiting Centre in Ottawa to the Recruiter I have been talking to.  What do I have left to look forward to?  Medical checks, papers to sign, and when would I find out if I am accepted to RMC?

So, I've been having a few problems with the recruiting centre and was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.  I'm currently in the process of applying from Mexico

- My story starts three weeks ago, when I sent in my application. 

- A couple of days after that, I called to ask what I could do from Mexico, was sent in a few circles, and ultimately got an answer that I could do nothing.

- I decided then that I'd better ask for an extension to the 60-day limit of coming in personally to the recruiting office (I didn't know about this beforehand), so I talked to a recruiter online, he gave me his e-mail and said that he would forward my request to my CFRC (Ottawa), and he did so.  After 5 business days, I still hadn't heard from them, so I sent a message to the MCpl. who forwarded my e-mail.  (That was 3/4 days ago now and I have not received an answer).

- Within that 5 day period I also read on this board that others HAD been able to move their applications forward while outside of the country, and had been able to schedule all their tests on a single day while they're home.  This seemed like a good idea.  I sent an e-mail to a recruiter who I was told had been helping someone else in my situation form Ottawa.  (This may have been a mistake...)

- I also, last Friday, the 9th, was finally able to contact the CFRC by phone, explained my situation, and was told that it was no problem, I would just have to call the person who set up appointments, here's his number.  I called a few times, and never managed to talk to him.  So I left a message with my e-mail address and my situation, but have not yet received any information.  (This was last Friday remember.  So only 4 days so far).

I feel like I'm being treated unprofessionally.  If I've submitted an application has a specific officer been assigned to my case?  If so, how can I contact him/her?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Julian

Keep in mind that the CFRC are extremely busy people and with you saying that you only submitted your application 3 weeks ago......be prepared for a long wait as there are many people ahead of you, that being said good luck with your process and hope to see you with the flag on your shoulder.

Julian,

Go back and read through the recruiting threads.

Average time line for recruiting is approx. 6 months. That is if you're not applying to a closed MOC, all of your ducks are in order, and you're available to answer and qurstions about your file.

Keep in mine that you are neither special nor are you the only one in the system. To be honest, there are way more applicants in country to screen and process before they may get to yours.

3 weeks is nothing.

I appreciate your responses.

The problem I am having is that I have done a few things for which I have been told to expect an answer in 5 days, and if I don't receive an answer, to contact them.

The MAIN problem of my case is that I'm currently in Mexico.  When I get back to Canada in December, I may only be there for a short time.  I was under the impression that, for people outside the country, there was the possibility of getting appointments while you are home.

Sooo... it's been 4 months or so.  About time for an update.

I ended up coming back to Canada for second (this) semester, and put an application in in person to CFRC Halifax on January 3rd.  I did my medical, interview and CFAT (57/60! yea, they told me...) before the end of the month, and was put on aircrew selection in February.  I just recently returned having failed for pilot but passing for ACSO.

I only have 1 1/2 years of university left, so this is my last chance to do ROTP.  As it stands, I'm moving my application ahead for ACSO, but what I really want to do is fly planes.  It seems that my only options are to take ACSO and stick with it for the 4/5 years until I can do a component transfer, or wait until I've graduated and then re-do ACS in Trenton and hope that there are DEO spots for pilot in a year. 

I wish there was some way I could join through ROTP now with the intent of doing ACS in a years time and have ACSO as a fall back.  This would be ideal because then the military would pay for my school and I would have enough money to do my PPL.  It seems that this is impossible though.

I have a lot to think about while the ROTP board sits.  Any input's appreciated.

I am a Canadian currently on posting in Italy with my Wife, who works for Foreign Affairs Canada. We're looking at coming home in the next year or so and the plan is settling down in the Ottawa region. My plan is to go reg force, as its been something I've been wanting to do for a very long time, and now that we're back in country, I'll have my chance.

My questions are these:
- What can I do NOW from Italy that will help the process along?
- Does my Civvie Security Clearance from working at the embassy count for anything with the CF?
- We have a visit home in October (ottawa), I am thinking that I could pop into the recruiting centre and get most if not all of the testing and interviews out of the way. Is this feasible?

As for what and where I am thinking of going Sigs up at Pet, 2 area spuport group Signals or there abouts, not sure of the exact structure of things in that regard. But we have a new Defence attaché coming in this August and he used to be a brigade commander at Pet. so I can educate myself a little in the meantime.

Thanks,
JB

You might want to try speaking with one of the online recruiters through forces.ca or call the Ottawa CFRC - they would be able to tell you for sure what you'd be able to do to get the ball rolling. 

Good luck!!!

Try the online recruiter for sure. The only thing I can think of is your te out of country slowing down the background check? Of course your situation is unique and this isn't "my lane"

But you can apply online perhaps you might want to see if you can start it now that way ?  And how are you sure you'll get your trade in your desired geographic location? If you are going regular force it was my understanding that you can be accompdated in requests such as this but it's never gauranteed.

Regardless all the best and I wish you success! And a side note where in Italy are you? I think there may be just the one embassy in Rome , no?  Spent quite a bit of time in Florence, I wish I had my "mean time" while I wait , in Italy haha. Good luck 

Back