• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Applying from outside Canada (Merged)

I was born in Canada but have lived in the United States for almost 11 years now. I moved here as a dependent of father who was transferred here for his job. I am still and have always been a Canadian citizen, and have not held any other citizenship of any other country. I have several questions about my eligibility of joining the CF but will keep it to just the few below:

1. I know that since I am a Canadian Citizen and am over the age of 17 I am eligible to apply, but do I have to be living in Canada when I start my application or can I move back to Canada after the application process has started?

2. How long does one think a background check will take since I have lived outside of Canada for so long and does this look bad to a recruiter? (I know that there is no x=y answer to this question but I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice about it.)

3. Lastly, I am looking into a welder, machinist, carpenter, etc. trade in the CF. If I already have some training and am continuing that training in the trade does that make me a better candidate or will that not make too big of a difference in the competitiveness of the application process?

I appreciate any and all help that I can receive on the topic(s) and if there is a thread about this already I apologize for not finding it and would ask if someone wouldn't mind steering me in the right direction.

Thanks for the help ~ Kel

CDN in TX said:
I was born in Canada but have lived in the United States for almost 11 years now. I moved here as a dependent of father who was transferred here for his job. I am still and have always been a Canadian citizen, and have not held any other citizenship of any other country. I have several questions about my eligibility of joining the CF but will keep it to just the few below:
1. I know that since I am a Canadian Citizen and am over the age of 17 I am eligible to apply, but do I have to be living in Canada when I start my application or can I move back to Canada after the application process has started?
2. How long does one think a background check will take since I have lived outside of Canada for so long and does this look bad to a recruiter? (I know that there is no x=y answer to this question but I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice about it.)
3. Lastly, I am looking into a welder, machinist, carpenter, etc. trade in the CF. If I already have some training and am continuing that training in the trade does that make me a better candidate or will that not make too big of a difference in the competitiveness of the application process?
I appreciate any and all help that I can receive on the topic(s) and if there is a thread about this already I apologize for not finding it and would ask if someone wouldn't mind steering me in the right direction.
Thanks for the help ~ Kel

1.  If you are resident outside Canada, it will be difficult for you to be processed but not impossible.  Once you submit your application, you will be informed of the process.
2.  Pre-sec from the US is usually anywhere from 2-4 months at the most.
3.  Depends on which occupations you apply for and whether or not there is any relevancy between your training and the occupation

Thanks for your help! I am a certified manual machinist and am working on getting certified in pipe welding. I was looking into being a materials technician, which from what I read would be right up my alley. 

I believe that the FBI does the security screening if you are living in the USA. They are doing my granddaughters.

Rifleman62 said:
I believe that the FBI does the security screening if you are living in the USA. They are doing my granddaughters.

Applicants from outside Canada are usually required to obtain a "clearance letter" from the local police (or in the case of those applying from the States, the FBI), and it's only to determine if you have outstanding criminal issues, and/or legal obligations in that jurisdiction.  There are still other components to the background screening.

Hi everybody,

I'm currently living in Hong Kong & been out here for 10 years already,
looking to move back to Canada & enlist in the armed forces though as for the background check I'm just curious
approximately how long it takes since I've been out of the country for so long.
Since I'm planning on moving back early spring I would also like to know if there is a specific time of year when applications are processed,
as I hope to get the ball rolling as soon as possible from when I officially move back.
Is it better I send in my online application only once I'm back home or can I send it while I'm still living in Hong Kong?

Many thanks for any feedback.
:cdn:

WONG83 said:
Hi everybody,

I'm currently living in Hong Kong & been out here for 10 years already,
looking to move back to Canada & enlist in the armed forces though as for the background check I'm just curious
approximately how long it takes since I've been out of the country for so long.
Since I'm planning on moving back early spring I would also like to know if there is a specific time of year when applications are processed,
as I hope to get the ball rolling as soon as possible from when I officially move back.
Is it better I send in my online application only once I'm back home or can I send it while I'm still living in Hong Kong?

Many thanks for any feedback.

You can apply at any time.  The background check for you will probably take 6 months plus but that is only a guess.

Do you have Canadian Citizenship?  I don't believe that you can apply to be in the CF without it. 

Ice97 said:
Do you have Canadian Citizenship?  I don't believe that you can apply to be in the CF without it.

Yes I am a Canadian citizen, I was born & raised in Canada (Canadian/Chinese father & French Canadian mother) so no issue there.

Definately apply ASAP to get the ball rolling.  The worst thing that they'll probably say is to wait until you are residing in Canada again.

Ice97 said:
Definately apply ASAP to get the ball rolling.  The worst thing that they'll probably say is to wait until you are residing in Canada again.

Great, thanks for all the quick feedback.
:salute:

Ice97 said:
Not a problem.  What trade are you looking at applying for?

Interested in Combat Engineer, Weapons technician & if either isn't open for choice Infantry.
I've just turned 30, thought I might not have been young enough too enlist but dropped by the recruiting office in
Sudbury during my last visit where they told me otherwise.
Hoping the screening process won't take too long & the remainder of the process goes by smooth,
is there a certain time of year though when they start bringing those who've enlisted in for processing after screening?
I'm currently checking with friends/associates & online for some work to keep me busy in the meantime once I've arrived back
until the ball starts moving for this new chapter I'm hoping to start in my life.

I'm going to jump right in, my situation is a bit complicated.

Basically I have dual citizenship (Canada/Ireland) and am currently living in Ireland. Im also in my second last year of a pharmacy degree. I would be very interested in pursuing a career in the Forces as a Pharmacy Officer. There are two main hurdles I would expect:

1) Is it possible to apply from abroad? who would be the best person to contact in this situation or would I have to travel to Canada and apply from there?

2) My degree will be recognised in Canada but I would have to take a short course and a few exams to become a fully licensed pharmacist. Would I need to be fully licensed before entering the Forces or would I be able to complete this after basic training? Maybe take a somewhat "paid education" approach?

Any and all comments would be much appreciated  :)

I can't comment too much on your first question besides saying that the initial application occurs online, however further testing in the application process would take place at a recruitment centre. Not to mention the fact that your reliability screening would take longer singe you've lived outside of Canada for some time. Maybe someone else can add to this...
Question #2:
"DIRECT ENTRY
If you already have a Bachelor of Pharmacy degree from a recognized Canadian university, have passed the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada’s qualifying exam, and hold a current license to practice client-based pharmacy in a Canadian province or territory, the Forces may place you directly into the required on-the-job training program following basic training. Basic training and military officer qualification training are required before being assigned." -- as per the description on forces.ca. So you would need to be licensed to practice in Canada prior to commencing bmoq. I would doubt that your additional courses or licensing exams would be covered, but you could definitely look into it! Hope this helps a bit.

flatlander13 said:
I can't comment too much on your first question besides saying that the initial application occurs online, however further testing in the application process would take place at a recruitment centre. Not to mention the fact that your reliability screening would take longer singe you've lived outside of Canada for some time. Maybe someone else can add to this...
Question #2:
"DIRECT ENTRY
If you already have a Bachelor of Pharmacy degree from a recognized Canadian university, have passed the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada’s qualifying exam, and hold a current license to practice client-based pharmacy in a Canadian province or territory, the Forces may place you directly into the required on-the-job training program following basic training. Basic training and military officer qualification training are required before being assigned." -- as per the description on forces.ca. So you would need to be licensed to practice in Canada prior to commencing bmoq. I would doubt that your additional courses or licensing exams would be covered, but you could definitely look into it! Hope this helps a bit.

As has been said multiple times, people like you need to stay in your lanes, and not answer questions you don't know the answer to.

To the op your situation is not unique.

1) apply online, follow the steps, your file will eventually make it Toronto, which handles all out of country applications.  There are threads already on this.

2)If you are completing a foriegn degree, you will most definately have to get a determination on it's equivalency (you will be told who to use), and most likely undergo a PLAR.

Hatchet Man has answered part I for you, I'll shed some light on part II.

In order to be enrolled as a Pharmacist, you have to be licensed in _any_ Canadian jurisdiction. You can't PLAR qualifications for which a license is required. If you're already certain that your degree meets the requirements, then you would be responsible for any subsequent national and provincial training and licensure exams.

In short, the license process is conducted on your dime. Once completed, you're eligible for enrollment.

ModlrMike said:
Hatchet Man has answered part I for you, I'll shed some light on part II.

In order to be enrolled as a Pharmacist, you have to be licensed in _any_ Canadian jurisdiction. You can't PLAR qualifications for which a license is required. If you're already certain that your degree meets the requirements, then you would be responsible for any subsequent national and provincial training and licensure exams.

In short, the license process is conducted on your dime. Once completed, you're eligible for enrollment.

I didn't say the PLAR would grant quals, just that he would go through it (most of the health occupations, require a PLAR actually), especially since his degree is foreign.  Not all PLAR's are to grant qualifications, the "A" = assessment.  The CAF doesn't universally accept all credentials/degrees, even if Provincial authorities do.  An example would be paramedic training, the CAF only accepts  diplomas from schools that are CMA approved, whereas to be licensed in a province, this is not necessarily the case.

Howdy y’all.

Since I haven’t seen many post in this forum from Canadians applying from outside of Canada, I thought I would share my journey so far.

I applied for Vehicle Tech back on August 11. I got an email couple days later asking questions about why I am living outside Canada. Easily taken care of. Got an email from a recruiter two weeks later on the 24th asking for proof of Canadian citizenship and Canadian SIC. No problem, easily sent in. Next day got the paperwork email. All these forms took a little while to fill out, as I had questions about some of the questions and information needed. Submitted all of the paperwork on September 23. Two days later, I sent in my request for the FBI Background Check. That was approximately 70 days ago. According to the FBI website, current processing time is 13 to 15 weeks, so looks like I have another 3 to 5 weeks.

I will update once I get any news, unless there are any questions.

I did the same from Texas, I've returned to Canada since then and I'm in University applying for ROTP. It took a very long time for the background check for me as well, but don't open it if it will be submitted in person to your recruiter. If it's electronically and they think it may be a false document because it looks really unofficial and garbage (which it does), then ask them if they can call the number that's on it to confirm the content of your identity history summary.

Good luck.

Back