• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Application process, all the way through to... the call!

Sparkplugs said:
I was pretty impatient being on the merit list too... But I was waiting for the scary part of my medical to come back, and that took a few weeks, so that was the worst part for me.  Now that I have a date on my calendar to look forward to, I'm much happier and more patient, heh!

That would be cool!  I hope your call comes soon.  I know how it is, waiting, heh.  I'm sure it'll all be worth it and then some though!

You got in there alot faster than I, though.
I started my process last July....and it took forever to get dates for my testing.
Hopefully I will hear something in the next couple weeks....
I am tired of having our summer on hold waiting for the call.

Either way...have a blast with it!
Life is about the experiences, and this is one that you will remember forever!

160 work hours to go.

I give my work notice of resignation next week.  My boss already knows I'm leaving, and he's very happy that I'm going to go get myself a trade.  Mill work is nice, and fun, but I don't want to be 'general labour' forever.  He also thinks it's cool that I'd like to end up in Comox, because he has relatives there, and says it's a beautiful place.

The excitement keeps building.  I have constant ants in the pants lately, hehe.

congrats on getting AVN.......I did aero engine/Avn before turning my coveralls in for a flight suit...it's a good trade but can depend where you end up and what you make of it. A good time for you (and others) to be coming into the trade...new planes down the road, actual promotions >:D...but seriously, you'll love it....and be prepared to be crammed into fuel cells, tailpipes, intakes, etc.....I was in my younger days...

bison33 said:
congrats on getting AVN.......I did aero engine/Avn before turning my coveralls in for a flight suit...it's a good trade but can depend where you end up and what you make of it. A good time for you (and others) to be coming into the trade...new planes down the road, actual promotions >:D...but seriously, you'll love it....and be prepared to be crammed into fuel cells, tailpipes, intakes, etc.....I was in my younger days...

Haha, being a small person with little hands, I fully expect to be crammed into all the small spaces.  Good thing I'm not claustophobic, hehe.  I'm excited for the new aircraft. 

How old were you when you went pilot?  Did you already have a university degree?  I have considered pilot too, but I'd rather be a mechanic first.

Sparkplugs said:
Haha, being a small person with little hands, I fully expect to be crammed into all the small spaces.  Good thing I'm not claustophobic, hehe.  I'm excited for the new aircraft. 

How old were you when you went pilot?  Did you already have a university degree?  I have considered pilot too, but I'd rather be a mechanic first.

I am betting a months pay he is actually a FE (Flight Engineer)...

Sparkplugs said:

Not a pilot Spark....recceeman is bang on....I went Flight Engineer....I turned wrenches for years on Tutors, Dash-8's, SeaKings and Hercs,  but it was time for something new.....so, more money, I get to fly and still turn some wrenches....not a bad deal.

Hey there Spark , just thought I'd mention to you, to not worry about your running too much.  If you  really enjoy it, then hey, have at it, but if you're worried about running during basic, don't.    You will do alot of running during basic, but its actually more of a jog....and the instructors keep it at a sane pace.  Even if you suck, they adjust the run so everyone stays together.  I've seen people totally hung over monday mornings and go for 5am runs and hacking up pounds of lung butter, and still getting through it no problem.
  Just read paracowboys posts about running properly and whatnot( which I did, and never once got shin splints!) and you'll be alright
Cheers :salute:
STeve

Mud Recce Man said:
I am betting a months pay he is actually a FE (Flight Engineer)...

I wouldn't bet you a months pay, hehe, I'm sure you're right.  I just assumed flight suit meant pilot, but it's the whole flight crew that wears it, isn't it?

Sparkplugs said:
I wouldn't bet you a months pay, hehe, I'm sure you're right.  I just assumed flight suit meant pilot, but it's the whole flight crew that wears it, isn't it?
Yes Spark.....all aircrew (even the heathens :p who fly once in a blue moon) wear a flight suit.

Sparkplugs said:

I just looked at his profile..and saw his MOC.  ;D  So I had a small advantage...(vice some weird voo doo trick)

Mud Recce Man said:
I just looked at his profile..and saw his MOC.   ;D  So I had a small advantage...(vice some weird voo doo trick)

:p  That would explain it, hehe. 

Hey Sparkplug....

Tomorrow's the big day... Congratulations and all the best in the future.

kc

newair-oldarmy said:
Hey Sparkplug....

Tomorrow's the big day... Congratulations and all the best in the future.

kc

Thank you!  But I have another couple of days to wait... I got switched to wednesday due to a soldier's funeral on monday, so just a bit longer to wait.

=)

Well, yesterday was the big swearing-in day.  I got to Thunder Bay Tuesday night, stayed in the hotel, and then Wednesday morning, I got up and got dressed for the ceremony.

I arrived at the recruiting center, and two other guys showed up for the ceremony, both going for infantry.  (Luke and Jamie are all I remember for names, hehe.)  We had to go and fill out paperwork and finish checking and signing forms.  The Sergeant showed all of us a video in the room where our friends and family waited.  The 20-minute basic video, which proceeded to scare the hell out of my mom, lol.  The Captain made the 'ladies first' joke and so I was first.  I took my oath, signed the paper, and that was it! 

s320x240

I'm feeling very proud and excited now.  Oh, my friends that came with me to the ceremony made me a cake.  I must warn you, it is totally not work safe AT ALL, so please don't click it if you're working or have kids around.  That said, it was the funniest cake I've ever seen, and I love it.  http://pics.livejournal.com/biggerstaff/pic/0002etxx/s320x240

Later on, I went to my celebrate-being-in-the-military party thrown by the lovely ladies that came to my ceremony and made me a cake.  My friend Phebe is a piper, so she played me a bagpipe serenade to celebrate the day.  She played some traditional Scottish off-to-war songs, and then she played the Star Wars theme.  Hehe.

So I am now a private recruit.   :warstory:   Sweet!  2 weeks until go time, I can't wait!

edited for spelling

Sparkplugs said:
I'm feeling very proud and excited now.  Oh, my friends that came with me to the ceremony made me a cake.  I must warn you, it is totally not work safe AT ALL, so please don't click it if you're working or have kids around.  That said, it was the funniest cake I've ever seen, and I love it. 

I looked like that once in the shacks...hilarity ensued. Just a Sig Op might use different words...  ;D

Congrats, BTW.

Sig_Des said:
I looked like that once in the shacks...hilarity ensued. Just a Sig Op might use different words...  ;D

Congrats, BTW.

Lol!  A quote from a friend later that night about the cake, "Jen, I'm sure this is only the first of much peen you will be seeing in the military.  Cheers."

I honestly hope your attitude doesn't waiver, and is infectious to your course mates (and maybe some of your staff...who might just be coming off Block Leave  :p ).

:D

Don't do what I did in '89 at Cornwallis, when I called "MCpl White" "Mr. White" right off the get-go.  ;D

When I got reamed right off the bat I remember distinctly thinking "uh oh!  this isn't starting so good!"

;)

Mud Recce Man said:
I honestly hope your attitude doesn't waiver, and is infectious to your course mates (and maybe some of your staff...who might just be coming off Block Leave   :p ).

:D

Don't do what I did in '89 at Cornwallis, when I called "MCpl White" "Mr. White" right off the get-go.   ;D

When I got reamed right off the bat I remember distinctly thinking "uh oh!  this isn't starting so good!"

;)

I'm hoping to start off on the right foot, hehe.  When I got sworn in, I remembered to call the Capt. by rank and last name, and he was happy about that.  My attitude is totally born into me.  I can be annoying at points, I know, but when I get excited about something, i just can't help it.  Monty Python's version of "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" is totally my theme song. 

My dad's getting sick of my "DAD!  Only 16 days until I go!" proclamation every morning, hehe.

Thanks!  ;D

Back