• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Apple Vs. PC at RMC

N

ncaroppi

I am an officer cadet and will be attending Campus Fort St. Jean in the fall, and RMC in the following year. I am looking into getting a new computer, and I am wondering if there'll be any problems if I get an iBook. Would it just be wiser to get a PC laptop?

Thanks.

ncaroppi said:
I am an officer cadet and will be attending Campus Fort St. Jean in the fall, and RMC in the following year. I am looking into getting a new computer, and I am wondering if there'll be any problems if I get an iBook. Would it just be wiser to get a PC laptop?

Having used both Apple and PC, I'd recommend Apple hands-down.  However, I can't comment on any connectivity issues you may have with an Apple at RMC.

I can't speak to RMC at all, but Apple just announced that they are switching to Intel hardware ... if you buy an iBook, bear in mind that future software will be written for the new hardware and, while it should be backwards-compatable, might well run slowly on the older (Power PC) stuff.

One thing to consider as a Uni student and buying a laptop, is what do you plan on studying, and what sort of software you'll need to help you in your studies. If you just need word processing, then a Mac would be perfectly fine. If you're planning on studying something like engineering, you may have trouble getting some of the more obscure programs that you may find usefull. I did my Electrical Eng degree at a civilian university (since I'm reserve), and I found that having a PC that could run both linux and windows software related to my degree/coursework helped out quite a bit, although the option was always there to use the school's lab computers to get access the same software - It was just inconvenient for myself to get to the campus to do that work, as I lived rather far away. I don't know how much of this applies to RMC, it's just some thoughts to consider. Someone actually attending RMC will have to fill you in on the specifics..

I will be studying science/engineering, and it is the "more obscure programs" that I am concerned about. Right now I am leaning towards getting an apple, but not if that means running down to the computer lab everytime that I need to get something done. Any advice from RMC students/grads?

Soldier of Fortune said:
Do You get free Internet Access in your room at RMC?? Does anybody know??

Nope, not yet anyway. You have to buy internet, or get a wireless card and find a friend with a wireless router nearby. (for anyone attending, don't worry. you'll be able to sort that stuff out after FYOP).

As for apple VS PC.. I've never had an apple, but I would like to get a mac laptop (I already have an athlon desktop - I'm also comp eng, so any computer is good for me, really :) ).
There aren't really any RMC specific things I could think of that could affect your choice. I've only just finished first year, not sure about what kind of obscure software I'll be getting in, but you have access to the RMC labs which are a 2 minute walk away.

Take it from an expert... Apple is the 3rd most popular PC after Linux/Intel and Wintel. Linux overtook Apple last year. Ignore Apple

Buy Wintel. the software is cheaper, more recent, easier to get, easier to share, easier to find, more programs. etc. Ignore the small shrieks of "but Apple is better/more efficient, cooler, retro, cooler designs, pretty, fun to own, etc. etc. etc."

For god's sake everyone - Apple is over. It is marginalised, it is gone. It has some cool MP3 players, and interesting ergonomics but that's it. 95 percent of the world uses Wintel platforms. 3 percent uses Linux. The remainder is Apple and others. Forget it. Geez if the apple freaks had their way we'd all still be driving Edsels 'cause they're well designed and built and right pretty to look at

I suspect that I have made my point.

Cheers

Okay.. so should I even bother getting my own computer for RMC? Is it merely just convenience to have your own? Personally I dont mind trying to get me parents to get me one--if I'm actually going to use it and it would be a good investment..

A little off topic: DVessey, I need you help with a quaetions I have,
In the joining instrustions, kit list specifically, it say bring a lockable trunk. I just bought a this black one from sears, its like 30x15x16, is this too big? like what are we gona use it for, just locking up personal stuff?
Also.. what kind room do we have for luggage that were like bringing from our training this summer, like I'm sending some unaccompanied baggage to RMC but also bringing a peice of luggage on IAP this summer, is there room for all of it  :-\ ??

Soldier of Fortune said:
Okay.. so should I even bother getting my own computer for RMC? Is it merely just convenience to have your own? Personally I dont mind trying to get me parents to get me one--if I'm actually going to use it and it would be a good investment..

Considering you're paid 600$ a month or so, after deductions (according to the paper we were given at the RC), and you're not allowed to have your own computer/internet in your room until after FYOP, (according to what I was told) I doubt you have to ask your parents to buy it for you. You can get a decent laptop (cheap, but you don't need a huge gaming machine for RMC) for, what, $1000? So, really, you should probably wait before you buy a new machine... I know that's what I'm doing.

Soldier of Fortune said:

A little off topic: DVessey, I need you help with a quaetions I have,
In the joining instrustions, kit list specifically, it say bring a lockable trunk. I just bought a this black one from sears, its like 30x15x16, is this too big? like what are we gona use it for, just locking up personal stuff?
Also.. what kind room do we have for luggage that were like bringing from our training this summer, like I'm sending some unaccompanied baggage to RMC but also bringing a peice of luggage on IAP this summer, is there room for all of it  :-\ ??

Your own computer is definately a nice convenience, especially if you like working late into the night. I believe they lock up the labs around 12 or so.

Don't worry too much about the trunk. I never even bothered to get one. Extra kit is either kept in your room (all your military kit (ie/ rucksack, webbing, etc) has to be kept in your room) or in a squadron storage room. The squadron storage rooms are locked, you can usually get access at any reasonable time during the day after FYOP through one of the fourth years in your squadron.
be good to have.

Connectivity shouldn't be a problem. You can work your way around for mix PC/Mac network. There's companies working with that kind of mix network and can live with that.

Secondly, Mac isn't dead. Morevover, the next generation will be on Intel CPU (called Intelmac) and future software development will be for both Intelmac CPU and PPC and the install will choose it for you detecting what you have. So you shouldn't see any difference. And they'll continue for a number of years after they stop selling PPC macs. That said, I really think Apple did a good move because software developer on Win-platform will be able to port their software really easily on Intelmac-based Macs. Good for Mac community also.

Mac OS X platform is way better than Win XP. It delivers more functionnality and many years in advance of the next Windows. It's user-friendly, beautiful, solid as rock (based on UNIX). It connects to anything Win-platform can.

Concerning your field of study, I would think twice before buying a mac. There's a lot of engineering softwares only on Win-platform. Not to mention these obsure computer programming softwares. AutoCAD for example is only on Windows for now and you'd running VirtualPC (run Win software embedded in Mac OS X). There's current talk between Autodesk and Apple right now, but nothing came out of it for now (see there: http://www.architosh.com/news/2002-07/2002a1-0711-axad-ox1.phtml).  If I would be you, I'd buy some kind of Win-based laptop, but install Linux on dual-boot and then see if softwares are Linux-friendly. Then switch on Linux platform.

As a comparison, I know Mac users are a minority, but so are Ferrari, Audi, Porshe, etc drivers. It's not because they are few that it's not good. Most of web and graphic designers, low pro film makers, publishers, run on Mac.

I really think Intelmac will have a significant impact. At the moment, Mac OS X will be allowed only on Mac, but who knows if Apple CEO change his mind and offer a product so much better than Windows that people would switch to it? Big maybe, but ones have the right to dream...

Dead. Mac is dead. Gee - maybe they can get back up to 4% by moving to intel. The tired old - "it's light-years ahead, and wonderful, etc. etc." just doesn't cut it. PM me if you want more details or discussion.

It really depends on what you're taking. Right now I'm in college, applying to get into the ROTP Civie U program. I am taking nursing and I find my MacBook does the trick, only because I'm not doing a whole lot other than research papers and power point presentations. I have 2 PC's at home and my MacBook laptop, and I find the MacBook is way more user friendly, it's easier to use and there is less problems in my opinion. If you are taking something like engineering though, I would invest in a decent PC because Mac just dosn't have the programs for that type of work. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for. If you're willing to drop $1300 dollars on a MacBook like I did, you're going to notice that it's a very good notebook. You can probably find some cheaper PC's that will offer different programs for different field of study. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, rather they each have things that they do very well, some better than the other.

Not exactly on topic -- but I couldn't resist  >:D
(what was I going to do with that bandwidth, anyway  ;D)

1195099119627.jpg

The Apple compatability issues and software choice availablity have come a long way in just the last two years.  Its almost even as to which is better (although the resistance to virusware debate is still an issue), nowadays its more a matter of cost.

Regarding Engineering and science programs, it may depend on what your taking Electrical and computer engineering are very different things from Mechanical, Civil and Aerospace.  I'm in my 4Th year Mechanical Eng at Civi University world, and I've always used pc for my programs.. Such programs not available are Solid Works(graphical program) will never work on a mac unless u get the newer ones that'll run a windows os on it. 
Your best bet is PC for mechanical as you will never have any problem with compatibility, the price is cheaper and you can run more games on it, for those times your brain is fried and cant take this shit anymore.

I have run a mac for more than 2 years now at the college and it really hasn't been an issue. The only problem has been running CFPAS. It doesn't run on OS x; however, with leopard you can install windows and it runs fine.

A few words from a MAC convert -
    Like many students, I had to get a laptop for university too. A good friend talked me into getting a Mac Book and it has worked out very well. Having never used Mac before I found it was very easy to adjust to. Also, the MAC care plan worked out well too. After a run in with a badly wired wall socket I managed to fry the battery  and with one phone call to MAC-care a new battery arrived in the mail two days later. Expediency was very important to me as I had several papers to write at the time.
  The laptop is also very lightweight and packs well - something you may not think is important at first but with several textbooks, binders, gym gear etc.... you get the picture.  Besides the weight, replacing worn out backpacks can get expensive, I went through three in my first year.
  As for software and connectivity - connecting to the internet was simple, everything is built in and there was no software to install. Just plug and play. Doing without the viruses is also a nice thing - they probably do exist but (touch wood) I have never seen one for MAC.
  All the best in school. Cheers.

Back