• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

bossi

If I am not mistaken that means that between April of last year (when the JSS project was announced) and now Halifax has seen a Brit LPD, a French LPD and, IIRC, an American LPD.  Not sure about the American.

Perhaps some of the Naval types can comment on the accuracy of this observation and whether this is unusual or does Halifax regularly see this class of foreign vessel visiting?

Actually it was the entire Saipan Strike Group about a month and half ago. Its not unsual to see foreign warships of any class and type come into Halifax. It usually happens every couple of months, sometimes more sometimes less frequently depending on whats going on in the world.

Thanks for the clarification Ex-Dragoon.

I understand that foreign vessels are a fairly common sight in Halifax but are the LPD sightings more frequent than previous?

Cheers.

Thanks again for the clarification.  Just goes to show how you can get a distorted view if you rely on reports from the Media.

So the only thing we can take from increased reports is increased Media interest.  Can we infer, in Canada, increased political interest?

Kirkhill said:
Thanks again for the clarification.   Just goes to show how you can get a distorted view if you rely on reports from the Media.

So the only thing we can take from increased reports is increased Media interest.   Can we infer, in Canada, increased political interest?

I would say closer to it being a slow newsday. :D

Then again some dreams become nightmares.

It seems the Brits had to retire their previous LHD early and the world situation being what it was they requested the shipyard building HMS Albion to speed up delivery. Now the yard building Albion hadn't built Navy ships for awhile so its workers were not used to stringent navy construction standards and the ship was being built to commercial structural standards so the results are not entirely satisfactory.  The Royal Navy was in such a hurry to rush these ships into service that they accepted them from the builders with a long string of defects. The electrical cable runs done poorly especially where they passed through watertight bulkheads ( shades of HMCS Chicoutimi)  , shoddy construction work (poor standard of welding) , the hull will probally require strenthening especially below the bridge and in general the vessel seems too lightly built to stand up to battle conditions but only time will tell. We are not the only one's cutting corners to save $$$$ at the expence of ????

cheers

I don't know what it is about Brits and electrics.  They just don't seem to get them. 

Brit houses, Brit cars, Brit subs and now Brit boats.

Kirkhill said:
I don't know what it is about Brits and electrics.   They just don't seem to get them.  

Brit houses, Brit cars, Brit subs and now Brit boats.

Yup - I'll never forget my friend's MG; it was pure shyte in wet weather (not like there's any of that in Britain), and he actually had to carry two batteries ...

And, when I was living in England, the electrical wiring was frightening ... (I've got much more confidence in our CSA and building codes, when enforced)

If you whant some more info on the JSS program there is a GOV site called www.sfu.ca/casr/101-ointro.htm its got info on all sorts of millitary projects

That isn't a government site, it is an independant "think-tank".

Infanteer said:
That isn't a government site, it is an independent "think-tank".

Definitely true!!

The page is maintained by a defence analyst and professor of political science at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia.

Oops sorry about that thought that the web site was Gov but does have some good info

Though it isn't a Gov't website, the website does have some good information.

Navalsnpr said:
Though it isn't a Gov't website, the website does have some good information.

Not to mention some real out to lunch information as well. CPFs as OPVs come on what were they smoking?

Ex-Dragoon said:
Not to mention some real out to lunch information as well. CPFs as OPVs come on what were they smoking?

That must of been something they thought of after their Friday Lunch at the local tavern!

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi-bin/client/modele.pl?session=dae.4308111.1089903978.QPadasOa9dUAAESlMZk&modele=jdc_34

Apparently the Aussie's, yet again, assign different priorities to their defence dollars.

Tanker converted at a cost of 60 MAUSD to fill RAS role.

Back