• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anybody do the NSCE exam this year? and how was it?

Passed NSCE the weekend of the 26,  it was pretty easy, the map and compass got alot of people, Make sure u really can measure a route

NSCE was so slack this year compaired to previous years. I went, and passed! Whoot. They teach you the things before you go into the test. I had trouble with my aw crap, I forget what its called... left over right, right over left knot. And they taught it to me, so I passed.

Sorry, my previous entry I was sort of inturupted.

NSCE was extremly slack, says my RSM. We were taught everything before going into the exam. My core, we have this winter indoc, and all the NSCE kids from the regiment, go to Borden, and we get taught everything. We just sort of study all together, with an officer. Well, the practise exam, was the exactly the same as the NSCE phase 1 exam. I loved it! I knew all the questions, because it was also my gold star exam the previous year. I was sitting writting the test, and my best friend was sitting beside me. We looked at eachother as we were writting the test, smileing... because we definality ACED it.

NSCE- I loved being in the hotel, and I loved just seeing everyone from BRAVO 2004. BRUT BRUT

Sgt- ONTARIO REGIMENT 2525

That hotel was pretty good. I hear a few people got hot tubs and jaccuzis in their rooms, it was pretty sweet. If your from 2525 then your RSM(black guy, he is a jumper as well) was my syndicate RSM.

You did Bravo? Do I know you? 

GGHG_Cadet said:
That hotel was pretty good. I hear a few people got hot tubs and jaccuzis in their rooms, it was pretty sweet. If your from 2525 then your RSM(black guy, he is a jumper as well) was my syndicate RSM.

You did Bravo? Do I know you? 

Yeah, Wilsons my RSM! Hes amazing. Yeah, a buddy of mine got a jaccuzie in his room. You probaly know me... lol who doesnt?? My sister did staff durning BRAVO 2004. I'm McNabney... lol! Yes sirrey bob. Who are you? Well, the question now is... do I know you??

McNABNEY

Oh sorry you did Bravo in 2004, I did it in 2005. I missed that. But I know your sister, as my Sgt was going out with her or something like that. I was around Bravo a lot though in 2004 I had two really good friends in Bravo, actually you probably know them- Birkett and Lang.

lol, its all good. Yeah, my sister was dating some kid or shall I say staff cadet at Golf or some CL company. Yeah, those names sound familiar. Alrighty then...

Staff Edit: One or two smileys, not the whole screen, please.

NSCE 2007 was really easy I thought. But perhaps all the hardcore studying I did for it helped (yes, I studied for NSCE). The multiple choice was really easy, and as for the phase II, you either knew it when you went there or you didn't. Topped in Manitoba province for NSCE 2007 (and I'm from N. Ontario!) 2nd place also came from my corps...my ONTARIO corps!

Don't sweat over NSCE. It is incredibly easy. It usually has the same questions from year to year. So, you need to know everything from the reference book, but if it seems obscure, learn it anyways... There are some obscure stuff on Phase 1.

I did my NSCE last year, I had a 96 on the written, and 92 overall.

My friend from the same corps got an 89 overall.

This summer, I am headed to Scotland and he is headed to Wales.

I actually have to disagree with you there. NSCE is not easy. In almost every province the pass rate is (only!) roughly 50%. This doesn't say to me that the exam is easy. Weather one can keep a clear head while in both phases of the exam, and train physicaly for it, determines the "easiness of it". I had to re-train for the PT, which isn't my favourite thing to do in the middle of january, but it was my DETERMINATION that got me through. The determination of the cadets who take on the NSCE challenge is the key factor in their success. ACE Holland here I come!

Seems like things are still about the same from when I took it back in 1994 (the 2nd intake after the change over from the orginal gold star program).  The smallest little things can mess you up.  All I had dealt with for firearms at the time was the FN, and get to NSCE and we had to test on Enfields.  I was taught to dry fire in a safe direction to ensure the rifle was safe..... did that with the Enfield, and received an automatic fail.  I got my sheepshank knot wrong as well.  I always hated tying knots, lol.  Good to see things are still being kept up.

For the past 3 years, the pass rate of the corps has been 100%. And it is almost garenteed to continue this year as well. 13 National Star certified cadets(10 since 3 are aged out), and quite a few are eligible next year.

The PT test was the easiest part of the whole NSCE IMO. With a Bronze minimum, people can usually manage it. I mean, on of the people who did NSCE with me had some pretty bad back problems and still managed to get through it. Although I did get Gold, I know many people didn't aspire towards it(sadly). Remember, the higher your level on the ACFT, the better your overall grade.

The Drill lecture is the hardest thing on the entire NSCE. Its because its very formal, and there is really only 1 way to do it. If you don't do it exactly in that forumula, you lose marks, sometimes critical marks. I'd advise people to try and get their hands on a Drill mutual assesment sheet. If you follow that and learn to do your drill lecture according to it, you will get a much higher mark. Work on your voice. Also, remember to ask if there is any questions after each movement, and to demonstrate from different angles.

The Classroom lecture is about moderate. Try to get your hands on a Classroom mutual assesment sheet. Then use it to figure out a way to get the highest mark from it.

The map and compass is pretty basic. The elevation and the measuring along a route are the place where a lot of people mess up by not being careful enough.

Knots are just a skill that needs practicing.

For the record, all I wanted for NSCE was to pass. I wasn't determined to get a decent mark, it just happened.

The drill lessons and map and compass aspects of NSCE seem to be the most stressful part of the exam.  The drill lessons can be difficult depending on what lesson you get and for some reason lots of people still have trouble with the M&C, just practice practice practice and write detailed lesson plans!!

bms said:
I'd advise people to try and get their hands on a Drill mutual assesment sheet.

You don't have to try that hard, it's in the NSCE Study Guide which is distributed to Cadet Corps every year across Canada.

The new (ish) marking format for Drill does not make it difficult to be successful, as long as you teach and confirm the squads correctly. If you don't do that, you're in trouble. Something like 60 marks (a pass) comes from breaking the movement into squads and teaching/confirming each squad independantly.

Back