• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any signal operator info.??

C.O.D

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello. I just got through the application process, and have a date for basic. The trade I have selected is signal operator. This was not my first choice but I feel as though I have left this long enough and should get in now. I know what to expect from bmq, but I would like an idea of the day to day life of a sig op at signal school, and after that..., In short, does anyone have any good info, tips, or anything at all they can share at all for a would be sig op? Also if I decide that being a signal operator is not for me, would I be able to switch easily if another trade opened up after bmq?? Much appreciated. Cheers.

Hello. I just got through the application process, and have a date for basic. The trade I have selected is signal operator. This was not my first choice but I feel as though I have left this long enough and should get in now. I know what to expect from bmq, but I would like an idea of the day to day life of a sig op at signal school, and after that..., In short, does anyone have any good info, tips, or anything at all they can share at all for a would be sig op? Also if I decide that being a signal operator is not for me, would I be able to switch easily if another trade opened up after bmq?? Much appreciated. Cheers.

Please do not double post.  Give people time to find your first posting and respond to it.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/91212/post-899133;topicseen#new

Milnet.ca Staff

C.O.D said:
Also if I decide that being a signal operator is not for me, would I be able to switch easily if another trade opened up after bmq?? Much appreciated. Cheers.

Reg force or reserve? It's a hell of a lot easier to change trades in the reserves.

Sig op's a distressed trade, in that numbers are pretty short for the demand. Moreover, you won't have had any direct exposure to working as a sig op during BMQ, so how are you going to be in a better position to judge whether it's something you'll enjoy? Your best bet would be to meet with sig ops *now*, get a solid grip on the trade and figure out your next move from there.

Taking an offer when you've got mixed feelings about that trade's bad news, man.

You'll have the bunch that tell you they dont like being a Sig op, and you'll have the bunch that say they love it. Your going to have to do lots of reading on your own and talk to the recruiters.

Maybe this thread can help you?

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/77029.0

Best of luck :)

Thanks for the quick response guys. Sorry about the double post, wont happen again! I know that I'll enjoy basic, I guess I just worry about being stuck in an office environment after I'm through with signal school in Kingston.

Rest assured COD, you won't have worry about that if you get through CFSCE.

Good to know Jammer. Does anyone know if a signal operator can get deployed, and/or if this is common? Can I do anything on my end as my career develops to ensure that I could be more of a combat type sig op, deployed, working, active etc.??

C.O.D said:
Good to know Jammer. Does anyone know if a signal operator can get deployed, and/or if this is common? Can I do anything on my end as my career develops to ensure that I could be more of a combat type sig op, deployed, working, active etc.??

Yes; a trained Sig Op can be deployed.  I will not get into the "Combat type" as if you do some reading on this site, you will find a whole wide variety of discussions on what a Sig Op may and may not do.

Thanks for the response, and believe me, I dug through this whole site before I decided to post. I'm still finding it hard to get a good picture of what life will be like as a sig op after CFSCE. It seems like it all depends what unit you get posted to etc. 

C.O.D said:
Thanks for the response, and believe me, I dug through this whole site before I decided to post. I'm still finding it hard to get a good picture of what life will be like as a sig op after CFSCE. It seems like it all depends what unit you get posted to etc.

Just remember everything changes in the Military, always expect change.

Im going to Kingston in February for my Trades course at CFSCE as a Sig Op. I've been looking around to see how life as a Sig Op is and could not find a full picture of it. What I did was I found a Signals attraction team going around Canada, I'll PM you there website. Send them an email and they can answer any questions you have. I hope it helps! 

Here's the Facebook Group, you must request to join. In that page you'll be able to find an email to message the recruiters.

http://www.facebook.com/#/group.php?gid=109416167157&ref=ts

I quote this from the page:
"The Army Signals Attraction Team is made up of 5 Regular Force members from varying elements of the Signals Branch.
Our team goal is to reach out to Canadians and promote the Signals branch and assist potential recruits during the joining phase of their new careers.
The Army Signals Attraction Team will be traveling across Canada over the next 2 years in an effort to interact with the public.
As well as traveling, we will be available around the clock to answer any questions that you may have."

EDIT: Updated link and Put Website

I think it might be a better idea for you to post the website here, that way new pers that join the site have easy access to the information with search.

As stated before, your experience will vary depending on what unit you're posted to. Our trade is extremely varied in what you can be posted to, and expected to learn. Everything from Combat Support with a manpack to working a helpdesk in a headquarters and all the bits in the middle. On your trade course, you'll get exposed or briefed on most of the facets of the trade and will be able to put down posting preferences and hopefully get somewhere that you'll enjoy. Keep in mind you may not get posted where you want right away, you'll go where the Career Manager and the Army needs you most.

You can count on being posted to one of the three Bde Signals Squadrons or CFJSR after the Apprentice course.

Thanks allot everyone, every bit of new info. helps! Thanks smode

Jammer said:
You can count on being posted to one of the three Bde Signals Squadrons or CFJSR after the Apprentice course.

and where are these 3 bde sqaudrons located in canada ? im also a sig ops and should be graduating in 2 weeks after break =)

Vader said:
and where are these 3 bde sqaudrons located in canada ? im also a sig ops and should be graduating in 2 weeks after break =)

Edmonton, Petawawa, and Valcartier.

The ASG Signals Sqns do not support line units. They provide AREA I/S support as well as tech services and Msg handling.
2 RCR has it's own Sigs Pl, 4 ESR has a Sigs Troop, CTC has a Sig Sect. None of which have anything to do with 3 ASG. As for anyone coming off thier Apprentice crse going to an ASG anywhere...no chance at all.

Ok so basically this info on their internet site is wrong then?

ASG Signal Squadron (3 ASG Sig Sqn) has evolved over the recent years to become an organization focussed on the standardized provision of Area Communications and Information System (CIS) services.

In the absence of a Headquarters and Signal Squadron organization within LFAA, 3 ASG Sig Sqn provides direct Signal support to Land Force units- primarily CTC – through the provision and training of Command and Control capabilities (e.g. Land Command Support Systems (LCSS), Tactical Command and Control Communications Systems (TCCCS), satellite communications, etc). 3 ASG Sig Sqn also provides Signal support to expeditionary operations (including augmentation support to Theatre), support to Area domestic operations, and support to Area training.

The roles and responsibilities of a hybrid organization like 3 ASG Sig Sqn to complete the traditional Brigade HQ and Sig Sqn functions, the Brigade Service Battalion LCIS Tech maintenance functions, and the traditional garrison CIS functions require dedicated personnel to each of the roles.

The Sqn has now re-organized its organizational structure to separate the Signals and CIS responsibilities.

The Signal responsibilities are divided between the Sig Sqn HQ and the Signal Troop (Sig Tp). The Sig Sqn HQ provides the Sqn Command and Control elements.

The Sig Tp provides Signal Combat Support through:

a.the CP Section which provides the commander with direct command and control via field and CIS communication means; and
b.the Technical Support Section which provides 1st and 2nd line technical support for field communication equipment and on-site maintenance repair teams (MRT) s for deployed units. The tech sp section also includes a line det responsible for the implementation, maintenance, and management of line infrastructure for deployed units.

Or am I reading this wrong?

EDITED TO ADD

Might aswell add all of the info from the 3 ASG Page to get a better pic.....

The CIS support is organized into three sections:

a.CIS Plans which provides Command and Control;
b.Area CIS Svc Ops which provides Area CIS Service Support; and
c.CIS Sp Dets Svc Ops which provide direct local CIS services such as Telephone Services ( includes voice mail, directory listings, circuit management, video conferencing, and mobile device support ), Communication Centre capabilities, Communication Systems technical services (non-tac radio) and infrastructure support (both line and telephone infrastructure). Currently there are four Sp Dets located in Moncton, Aldershot, Halifax and St. John’s which provide event management, access management, IT Ops Management, and Tech Mgt as required in their AORs.
The services that 3 ASG Sig Sqn provides WRT Area CIS include:

a.LFAA Army Centralized Service Desk (ACSD) - The Help Desk provides a single point of contact and a first and second level support for all LFAA and lodger units in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Prince Edward Island;
b.Network Management Services - Network Services is responsible for the management of the CFB Gagetown network infrastructure, which includes providing IP addressing, and switches to allow network communications and security. Network Services also provides network administration and support services for clients at CFB Gagetown;
c.PC Services - Provides login, file and print services, server backup and data recovery, baseline application management, and national application hosting;
d.Area IT Procurement – Provides procurement of IT equipment IAW DND guidelines; and
e.Land Force Cryptographic Distribution Authority (LFCDA) - Provides military messaging services and classified services; and
f.CSNI

Back