• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any signal operator info.??

I believe Jammer meant that 3 ASG doesn't support the TacRad requirements of line units the same way 1,2, or 5 Sigs do.

You just answered your own question.
Reread my post regarding the LINE units (2 RCR, 4 ESR).
You are correct, however in that PRIMARILY CTC draws it's Sig support from 3 ASG.

Jammer said:
As for anyone coming off thier Apprentice crse going to an ASG anywhere...no chance at all.

Good that they stopped that, keep the guys in the field units. I know a few guys who's first posting was 1ASG/SigSqn, but that was awhile ago.

Another posting that the new Sigs can get is straight to a Combat Arms unit. Don't think it's to common though.

Also for Sig Op course info.. if Jammer is who I think he is an he's out with you on your FTX... it'll be interesting to say the least haha

-Skeletor- said:
Also for Sig Op course info.. if Jammer is who I think he is an he's out with you on your FTX... it'll be interesting to say the least haha

Now you've got me wondering who he is.... Guess I'll find out after Podium when I go do my 5's  :)

I know exactly who Jammer is, it should be interesting.  Didn't know you were posted back home Jammer.

C.O.D!!!!
Congratulation on joining the best trade in the Army!!
Yes you will deploy!  Yes you will love it!  Yes you will make a good buck doing it!
Day to day life?  Like so many things, you get out of it what you put in, but I'm sure you're looking for more detail.  While there is a long list of duties and a wide variety of taskings you can find yourself employed in, for now, focus on learning what you are taught, increasing your cardio, and talk to every Sig within the sound of your voice.  There is so much to learn, and as you learn, you will be able to steer your career toward your preffered direction. 

Like anything in life involving people you will meet those who are on their way up, those who are on their way out and some who have gotten stuck in a rut or lost sight of their goals.  Learn from their example, you will learn the pitfalls very quickly.  Drugs, poor attitude, and laziness can freeze your career and rob you of opportunity very quickly.  Remember that while you are in the Army you are always being assessed.  The best advice I ever received was from a Warrant Officer Lambrock while I was in Meaford. 

He said "Do what you are supposed to be doing, when no one is looking.  Your career in the CF is based on trust.  The higher you go, the fewer people there are looking over your shoulder, but the greater the fall if you betray that trust."

In our trade I have friends who work on computer servers and little else, their tours are spent in air conditioned offices resolving all manner of computer (and user) issues.  Others have been employed as Riflemen.  These fired up souls fullfill their Sig duties of making sure all comms are good (don't worry you'll find out what all that entails later), and then continue on as if they were infanteers.  These guys eat, sleep and breathe right along side the infantry guys. 

Every few years in the Army you will be "posted", meaning your job will change, as a Sig, this means you have the opportunity to work with many different trades over the course of your career.  I have already worked with Supply, Infantry, Armoured, vehicle techs and more

There will be times when you have the opportunity to choose what you do, and there will be times when you will "choose" to follow orders regardless of your preference.  The best thing you can do for yourself at this time is increase your physical fitness and foster a strong mental attitude.  You are embarking on a career that will test you mentally and physically, and as you will learn, the greater the challenge, the greater the sense of accomplishment!

Welcome to the family, you will love it!!

Back