• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any marathoners here?

scoutfinch

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I am just wondering if there are any other marathoners here or if anyone is currently training for one?

I am planning to run the PEI Marathon in October.  I may run the Saint John or Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon as one of my training runs in early September.  I haven't decided yet whether I am going to use PEI to qualify for Boston or if I will put that off until the spring.  I'll see how I am feeling about the race by the end of July to determine whether how much speed work I would have to incorporate to make a real race of it.

How 'bout you?

I have done a couple halfs, but do not have the patience nor time to train for full lengths.

I find the time commitment hard to balance so this time I have committed to just running 3 20 miler's in the last 6 weeks before taper time. 

(I say that now but I am already thinking about Boston times so I have no doubt that I will get more serious about it over the coming months.)

I've done some marathons, Ironmans, and halfs (marathons & Ironmans) including Toronto Waterfront last year (as a training race for Honolulu in December ;D ) ... it is an easy course, except the out-and-back (on the spit) is a little tedious ... my wife did Boston in '06 and loved it (very motivational as there are people cheering the whole way) ... I have a few friends training for Chicago this year, but I'm supposed to be in Moose Jaw by then.

Have you done other races, or is PEI your first?  Either way, good luck!

I did the Marine Corps' Marathon a while back, and I'm trying to find the short article I wrote about it. One line that still stands out is, "the only breeze was the ambulances racing past" -- damn, it was hot!

Don't leave psychotic-level training to the last minute; injuries happen when you decide too late that you're going for that personal best/qualifying/whatever.   ;)

Good luck

Haven't done any fulls yet, but the hubster and I both plan to do the MCM next year.

I'll stick to HalfMs while my fave training partner is in the sandbox...I couldn't bare my own company on those really long runs without having someone else to buffer the li'l demons away.

Good luck though Olga!

You might want to check out www.RunningMania.com it is a Canadian site of runners and du/tri athletes. There are a fair number of CF pers on that forum too.

Olga,

When I was young(er) and keen, I ran four marathons. There are lots of how to stuff available, but here are some tips you should consider.

First - make a plan and give yourself lots of time, including four months for steady training as well as some conditioning time before that. This should include rest time, races and some slush as you almost surely are going to get hurt. If you have budgeted and kept a reserve in terms of time, you can cope.

Second - keep a running log and include the distance each pair of your running shoes has gone. You should have an idea of how much distance you can get out of a pair of shoes. Stagger your shoe purchases, have at least two pair on the go at any one time, and start using the ones for the race roughly a month before the big day.

Third - keep your enthusiams under control. By the time you are well into the program, you will be in the best shape of your life and tend to think you are invincible. Stick to your plan, which should be conservative.

Good luck

Old Sweat said:
Olga,

When I was young(er) and keen, I ran four marathons. ...

And here I thought the only running you do is to the beer fridge  :eek:

I have run 3 halfs and 1 full.  I am just coming off of a knee injury but prior to last summer I regularly ran 60k per week.  I have used training schedules in the past but found them too inflexible.  I am a fairly knowledgeable runner, having run for over 20 years.  Sadly, I can provide evidence of this with almost 18 years worth of running journals and countless pairs of shoes that are too worn for running distance but still in reasonably good shape!

I am being uber-cautious this time around.  I injured my ankle last year on CAP and was too stupid to recourse.  By the time the course was over, I had torn the meniscus in the other leg (from over compensating with the good leg).  So, needless to say, I took lots of time to build my base up before I started working on hills and I have just started to toy with a bit of speed work -- moreso in an effort to get my leg turnover up.  Right now, I am only averaging about 40k per week with long runs of 15k.  I will stay close to a previously used running schedule but need to listen to aches and pains a little more closely now than I had to in my past.

I am thinking of using the NCM or Chicago next year to qualify for Boston.  And I have committed to run the Flying Pig Marathon in Cinncinati next year with my sister.

John Galt:  You said you used a half as a training run for a full... how did that work?  

Olga Chekhova~ I wish you the best of luck on your dream for Boston.

Thanks very much.  Given that I am turning 40 this year, I get an extra 5 minutes to qualify!!!

Frickin' Awesome!!!  Whoever said turning 40 wasn't great!!!

40! You look younger..  ;)

Enjoy that extra 5 minutes.

Edit: Can't spell and flirt at the same time.

I know.  I am often mistaken for Scott's sister.... much to his chagrin.

Olga Chekhova said:
John Galt:  You said you used a half as a training run for a full... how did that work? 

I prioritize races as A, B or C: "A" races are very important (i.e., Ironman, or a Marathon where I am attempting to PR or whatever: only 1 or 2 per year); I treat "C" races as supported training runs (don't really care about time, only about trying to maintain a constant PE) and "B" is somewhere in between: then I structure my training plan accordingly ... of course running a marathon as training for a marathon is unnecessarily long, but I do it anyway (YMMV) ...

Back