• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

any info on entry plans would be appreciated

under the ROTP can anyone tell me the wages if I were to be accepted?  I think it is $800 or so a month.  Is this accurate?  It doesn't matter which way I add it up I can't live on that a month with a wife and kid.  Has anyone heard if the CEOTP will reopen?

mbhabfan said:
under the ROTP can anyone tell me the wages if I were to be accepted?   I think it is $800 or so a month.   Is this accurate?   It doesn't matter which way I add it up I can't live on that a month with a wife and kid.   Has anyone heard if the CEOTP will reopen?
More like $1000/month, but you're not far off.  Isn't exactly the most appealing to someone who's already established I know, but I guess you have to look at the opportunity costs (i.e. free degree) as well.

If you go to a school in the same city as a base, you can apply for military housing.  Might cut down the bills a bit.

mbhabfan,

I am in a similar spot. I am 29; fit as a fiddle and have flying time on my PPL. The CEOTP closed on me as well (thought it was too good to be true!). I was reallly disappointed and almost threw in the towel. Instead I decided to go to University part-time working on a three year degree and continue with my private license on my own time. (and call the recruiting centre every two weeks or so :-[). If it doesn't work out with the Forces, I will have a degree and hopefully all of my ratings which I can take elsewhere.

I guess the reason I am posting here is two fold. I would like to thank the pro's who have posted and given some stories relating to age. It is really encouraging to hear that some in their mid to late thirties are being accepted. I get discouraged from time to time since I am not a young recruit fresh out of High School with credits in Physics, Math and Science. Second, I agree with you regarding the Recruiters. I appreciate that they have a lot of programs to be aware of however, they can't seem to support the web site or advertisements that posts the career options. I remember going in to ask about the CEOTP (which was posted on the web site) and they told me it was closed. It remained posted on the site for quite some time after! I asked about applying as an Aivation Systems Technician and then applying to transfer to Pilot  - one said "Sure! you can do that" the other "I would NOT recommend that". the latter seems to be supported by many.

Thanks again for the posts guys!

I think the recruiters like to offer re mustering as an option, however I think it is like seeing a Big Foot, sure they might exist but you will never see one.  Does anyone know of someone who has been accepted under the Ceotp for any occupation?

After washing out of my first attempt through ACS I asked about joining as ATC and remustering. CFRC frowned on that and so did friends and family already in the military. You don't want to join then go through the training of a program you don't want to have as a career, because there is a chance you would not be able to transfer or a chance you won't make it through ACS or the medical.

Plus in your case, you still need to have a degree.

I am 31, and waiting for the board's announcement (this week). How bad do you want it? How hard are you willing to work for it? What are you willing to do to get it? These are all questions I asked myself. Nothing focused my mind more than having to live with the regret of not giving this chance all my effort. Waking up and being 52 and living with the "what ifs" got me through a lot of rough nights during the past 18 months.

Good luck guys. Whether you think you can or you can't- your absolutely right.

Not through CEOTP but I know of two who went through DEO.

One completed Basic and has been waiting a LONG time to get the call to come back. I think he was done last spring and has been twiddling his thumbs ever since.

The second washed out during initial flight training (he had no air time) and was told to come back when he completed his PPL. He is actually quite happy as a Captain in the Infantry now...

I guess this is another point to consider - what if you don't make it past the initial flight training. They must fill a lot of other positions with people aspiring to transfer to pilot. I know I have considered it.

Thanks Bograt! (And you are right about the "what if's"!) Good Luck to you too & keep us posted!  ;D

L8R

If you fail out of Moose Juice or Portage (PFT or AFT), you'll be offered quite a few different trades.  In my travels I've met quite a few people that didn't make it to wings standard that were quite happy in their "new" careers.

WannaBeFlyer said:
One completed Basic and has been waiting a LONG time to get the call to come back. I think he was done last spring and has been twiddling his thumbs ever since.

You call last spring a LONG wait? Myself and Zoomie waited in excess of 18 months, not sure exactly for him but I waited 20 months between French and Moose Juice. Just be thankful the system is moving now, I was a 2Lt for 4 years due to the wait.

On the CEOTP front, I know quite a few guys that got in on that entry plan. Mine was a version of it called the Community College Entry Plan (Pilot) or CCEP, the difference between CCEP and CEOTP is that I got my commission once BOTC was finished, CEOTP's are OCdts until they're MOC qualified. Now all of this happened in 98/99 and the program has been closed for a few years now. I almost got in when I was 18 under OCTP but it closed just before I applied.

Bograt, that's some good advice, it's a long long road, but believe me, it's worth it and then some!  ;D

Cheers

"One completed Basic and has been waiting a LONG time to get the call to come back. I think he was done last spring and has been twiddling his thumbs ever since.

The second washed out during initial flight training (he had no air time) and was told to come back when he completed his PPL. He is actually quite happy as a Captain in the Infantry now..."

If you wash out in PFT and the other positions don't appeal, can you leave the forces? I   haven't thought much about anything except pilot and didn't choose a second option in my application. I'd consider other trades but moving the family around for something other than pilot may be too hard for them to swallow.

Also, while waiting for PFT, are you posted back home or sent to a base? I'm from Ottawa. 

Lots of great information on this site!!   I'm heading to BOT in Jan & have been checking the forums out regularly.

In between courses you will be able to find gainable employment in the Ottawa area.  412 Squadron is based at the airport and NDHQ is always looking for a new photocopier King or mail-room attendant.    >:D

I highly recommend that you do not move your family anywhere until you are finished Pilot training and posted to your first operational squadron.  The longest time away from home will be your stint at 15 Wing Moose Jaw - BFT lasts between 8-10 months.  Having the option to go home to your family and not be stuck in Moose Jaw is a good one - I suggest you take it.  Just tell WO Dowd at 1 CAD that you want to go on an Imposed Restriction to MJ.

If you wash out of Pilot training - you may leave the CF...  They will try and offer you alternate jobs - think long and hard before refusing.  Keep in mind that working for the CF has its ups and down.  Job security and good benefits for the family are high on this list - working 24/7 without overtime are some examples of negatives.

Good luck at St-Jean

Thanks Zoomie - good advice.

For anyone else out there over 30 who's wondering about applying for pilot. I'm 41, have a PPL but not significant hours under my belt. Made it through air crew selection. Now it's up to me to make it through the rest. Don't wait!!

No Problem. General Bachelor of Mathematics - my courses were primarily in business admin & computer science.

Congrats Harley123!!

Thanks for the encouragement and good luck with your training!

Thanks for congrats but, as things happen some last minute mysterious medical information has come back from Downsview and my enrollment has been postponed. Since I passed the fit test on Tuesday  & was supposed to be sworn in tomorrow it came as a big shock. Anyhow - I was pleased to have made it as far as I did. I met some great people at Ottawa CFRC & Trenton and can be happy that I did the best that I could. And who knows, the way things are going, maybe I'll get some last minute GOOD news...

Harley123,

Sorry to hear the bad news. Hopefully you will get that "last minute good news"!

Keep us posted!

I know this thread is a little old but here goes. Pretty much I've allways wanted to be a pilot. Alot of you know the bug I have. I really jsut want some clarity on my options.

I realize that ROTP at RMC is the most obvious option, but unfortunatly my grades are not that competitive. Does being in Air Cadets for 6 years, being a WO1, getting your power, and glider license contribute enough to your application to weigh out grades? How about other things such as international exchange to Germany or being in the reserves?  Also is CEOTP still offered for pilot?

If you are accepted to a civi university can you be subsidized under ROTP? Or does the military decide if you go RMC or civi? In the joining instructions it says you must be at least working to a degree and I was wondering if that means you get subsidized.

Also if I don't make the ROTP is there a good chance that I will be accepted under the DEO?

Does it really matter what degree you get to become a pilot? To me the whole degree thing seems a little over the top, after all, great pilots like Chuck Yeager and George Beurling didn't have good educations. I see why they do it though. The reason I'm asking is because I don't want to be left in the cold when I come with a degree in German when they only want mechanical engineers.

Any help would be great. Thanks Alot.
:cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn:

Esser,

I also had a lot of questions about becoming a Pilot that were answered simply by reading the posts of others. I would suggest typing your questions into the "Search" area or visiting the "Recruiting" forum on this site. All of your questions have been answered in previous threads by both Pilots and Recruiters.

Good Luck!

Back