• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

any info on entry plans would be appreciated

mbhabfan

Inactive
Reaction score
I am 31 married with one little girl.  I am self employed and have been for the past nine plus years.  I would like to join the forces as a pilot.  I am currently completing my ppl.  I do not have a university degree.  So this leaves the ROTP or the CEOTP (if it reopens) as my two entry plans.  The ROTP doesn't pay enough money for those three years of university to provide for my family.  I was curious to see if anyone has had any luck getting in DEO without the degree?  On the forces website it says "usually"  required when do they make an exception?  I have over nine years of management experience, and I think I have the drive and ambition to succeed as a pilot if given the opportunity.  The CEOTP would be ideal for me...get the entry and eventually get a degree as well which is something I want.  If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.  I would just like to add that this site is a great idea, I have been reading the posts for a couple of months and this is my first post but this site is great.

One thing you might want to consider with the DEO route is that pilot selection (or selection for any officer trade, but especially so with pilot) is quite competitive.  Because you don't have a degree, that could be the deciding factor when selection boards roll around.  This is all conjecture though, as I'm neither a recruiter, nor a member of the CF yet (give me a couple weeks and that'll change).  You'd have to talk to a recruiter and get their take on it. 

I just went through ACS in Trenton. Of the the four that made it past CAPSS, two were DEO candiates and two others were some other program. The CEOTP program I believe was axed this past April (new fiscal year). The two non DEO candidates were trying for a new program were DND pays for you to go to university prior to entering training. Both were kids (20-21) and four years to them was "forever". The average age for a DEO is 32. I believe Moncton Flight School, and Abotsfered offer a aviation degree (diploma) that after completion you are exempt from ACS and after BOTC you will go directly to primarly flight training. Also, if things don't work out in the military, you will have your Commercial and Multi ifr ratings. I would suggest that this probably is the best route.

Ask your recruiter, and if they don't know ask someone else.

The problem I run into is that with a wife and kid it is too costly to shut down my business and attend classes for three years.  I am very interested in a degree just can't figure out the financial part of little or no income for three years.  I have found that in talking with recruiting there are several very different opinions as to my best course.  One day it is one thing another day it is another.

My only suggestion now is to get started. Take the officer exam, initial medial, interview and physical now. Get the ball rolling now so that you can atleast get a ACS date. Then they know your serious about it and hopefully they will start providing you with the solid answers you need.

My daughter is two, and my wife and I are expecting another in March. I understand what you going through. If you want it bad enough you can make it happen.

Cheers,

I was under the impression from the cfrc Winnipeg that I wouldn't be able to do any of the above until they were taking applications for the pilot occupation.  So I can apply now and do the initial officer exam and the medical right away?  The recruiting officers aren't going to divulge any more information than they have to are they.

It seems like you are having some challenges with the Recruiting people. The airforce currently is 80 pilots short this year in its recruiting goals. Last year they were 260+ short in their recruiting goals. So, they <u>are</u> taking on new applicants. Regardless, request to aleast start the process of enlistment ie taking the officer exam, and interviews medicals, security checks etc... I would suggest get the process going as soon as you can because it does take some time to get it worked through the system. I know that there is a program where they pay you to go to university- three of the guys on my ACS were under that program. I don't recall the name however.

On a personal note, I would encourage you if you haven't already, to have a real heart to heart with your partner. Make sure that all of the questions are answered and that both of you know what to expect. It is easier when your family is fully behind you- there are a lot of bumps along this road and you want to make sure everyone is willing to travel down this direction.

Cheers,

Bog thanks for the help.  My wife supports this 110% she has been really great about everything.  She is a health information analyst and she would look for a civ job someday.  You have been a great help thanks again for the information.

I'm presently doing my degree by correspondance with the British Columbia Open University.  I don't have the time right now to go to a regular school.  Also there are lots of universities that offer distance ed, and web based courses.  I was one of the people who got nailed when they axed ceotp so for me starting the degree now is a way to look good when I apply for rotp later this year (and hopefully finish my degree in a "normal" university.  The BCOU courses in a way are a lot nicer than traditional university courses, you can work at your own pace, on your own time, and they also have lots of support.  You have to be very disciplined though, because there's nobody to give you hell if you don't do the work.

Just a thought, but there are ways to get a degree without actually going to school.

Brodie

P.S. Good luck on your PPL, I just finished mine in april, and the recruiting folks tell me that it looks really good on the application.

I_Drive_Planes said:
Just a thought, but there are ways to get a degree without actually going to school.

Exactly...good point.  Athabasca has a great distance ed program, I would say the best or most well known in Canada.  They offer plenty of degrees and you can work at your own pace.  Depending how hard of a worker you are you could finish your degree in less than 4 years.....

In four years I would also be 35 do you think I would still be a realistic candidate for a pilot in the Canadian forces?  I have no problem with having to take the degree, I just don't think I have the four years to wait.  I have given Athabasca thought already.  I have also considered the ROTP program but it pays approximately 800 per month.  There is no way I can swing that with a family for the next three or four years.

A buddy of mine is in his mid-forties, and he just finished up his Pilot training.  For the entire four years that he was undergoing training (not University - just training) he was supporting his wife and daughter on OCdt's salary (which is not much).  I found it challenging making it through my four years of pilot training as a 2Lt.  Unless your wife is pulling in some good coin, you will be living pay cheque to pay cheque.  Heck, I am still doing that now as a 1st incentive Captain (pilot).

You must be prepared to take the lumps when you join the CF with dependants.  You will not be paid a sufficient salary for quite a few years in order to support a family.  Not to dissuade you, but be prepared to cut coupons, go without and live in military housing <not too bad> while waiting for those coveted wings. :)

So don't let age be a factor in your decision.  Your lack of a degree is definately your largest road-block.  If CEOTP is closed, you need to have at least a 3 year degree from an accredited looniversity.

Zoomie,

I just read your post. <gulp> Why was he on O'cdt salary while undergoing pilot training? I am married and will have 2 children by the time I go to Portage. We are not planning to sell the house and move the family until MooseJaw. Is this smart? Can you give any accounts on what others in my circumstance have done in the past.

My wife is a music teacher... do they have schools in Portage.. ;) Seriously do you have any idea if it is difficult for partners to find work. I'm not sure what do to regarding the homestead. Obviuously, picking up the family to go to Portage for Basic is not in the cards, but should I wait until advanced before I move the family? How long is it taking guys to get the courses needed to get their wings?

35 is still relatively young.....you could do your 20 years service and collect a full pension and only be 55.  I think around 55 is when you are encouraged to call it a career, it may be 60 now though???Possibly look into 3 year degrees that could knock a year off as well

mbhabfan said:
In four years I would also be 35 do you think I would still be a realistic candidate for a pilot in the Canadian forces?   I have no problem with having to take the degree, I just don't think I have the four years to wait.   I have given Athabasca thought already.   I have also considered the ROTP program but it pays approximately 800 per month.   There is no way I can swing that with a family for the next three or four years.

Bograt said:
Why was he on O'cdt salary while undergoing pilot training?

CEOTP applicants were all OCdts, I think they might have changed that by now.

Wait until Moose Jaw to determine if you want to move out there.  Portage is only 8 weeks...  If you already have a home, I would suggest you keep it.  Keep your wife in her job and your kids in their school.  They will most likely miss Daddy while you are gone for 8-10 months in Moose Jaw.  As long as you aren't interested in becoming a fighter jock, this strategy works best.  If you keep your family at home, you will be posted to MJ and receive free R&Q (rations and quarters) and also receive a Separation Expense from the crown (approx $10/day).  You will also be able to claim LTA (leave travel allowance) which will provide you with monies in order to travel home once a fiscal year.  I know quite a few people who took this route (including my 40 year old friend) - their marriages survived the separation and you won't have to subject the family to Moose Jaw living :( .

A buddy of mine is in his mid-forties, and he just finished up his Pilot training.   For the entire four years that he was undergoing training (not University - just training) he was supporting his wife and daughter on OCdt's salary (which is not much).   I found it challenging making it through my four years of pilot training as a 2Lt.

A question about that. Are promotions really slow in the Pilot MOC? I know you make your way to Lt. once you get your wings, so it all comes down to course timing. But 4 years as an OCdt/2Lt? That's a long time.

Unless your wife is pulling in some good coin, you will be living pay cheque to pay cheque.   Heck, I am still doing that now as a 1st incentive Captain (pilot).

Wow. I always thought $60,000+ would go farther than it does now, I guess.

The reason you stay as a OCdt/2Lt until you get your wings is because they can't promote you beyond that until you're MOC qualified (wings standard).   I was a 2Lt for 4 years due to training delays, once I got my wings I went right to Capt with just under $22,000 in retro pay. You have to spend 1yr as a 2Lt and 2 yrs as a Lt.   If you're MOC qualified before your 3 years is up, you're a winged Lt, if the 3 years is up, you go right to Capt.   You still get retro paid based on the 1yr 2Lt/ 2yr Lt timeline.

Dr Size, 20 yrs isn't a full pension, it's not possible to get a full pension (depending on your def'n of what a full pension is).   You get 2% per year of service with a min of 20yrs which will be changing to 25yrs in Jan.   So for a 20yr career, you'll get 40% of your 5 highest paid years, ie. 5 yrs at $100,000 x 40%= $40,000/yr pension. 35 yrs or 70% is the max pensionable time, so since I was 20 when I got in, 35yrs will put me to 55 years of age, there's no point in me extending to 60yrs of age since my pension won't increase beyond the 70%.

Another point on leaving your family where they are until you're done training, in addition to the separation expense, you'll also get post living differential, the rate depends on where you live, Halifax is $192/month and the rates vary across the country depending on the cost of living, Toronto is the in the $1000/month neighbourhood and other places are as low as $40/month.

Hope that answers some questions.

Cheers

Inch, you said "Another point on leaving your family where they are until you're done training, in addition to the separation expense, you'll also get post living differential, the rate depends on where you live, Halifax is $192/month and the rates vary across the country depending on the cost of living, Toronto is the in the $1000/month neighbourhood and other places are as low as $40/month"

Do you get this "'post living differential" while you are doing BOT and Second Language Training in St. Jean and the Phase 1 (?) flying training in Portage?

If your primary residence is in an area where there is a PLD rate specified, you get it, ie. your wife and family stay in Toronto while you're on courses, you'll get PLD for Toronto.  I own a condo in Halifax, even if I go somewhere else for courses or whatnot, I still get the Halifax PLD until I get posted or sell my place and move into government housing. 

The old guy that Zoomie mentioned, his wife and daughter stayed in their house in Montreal while he was training.  He got PLD for Montreal even though he was in Moose Jaw & Portage for almost 2 years.

There are some stipulations on it though, you may be asked to produce a lease or copy of your mortgage, since it's a pretty hard sell to get PLD if you don't actually own or rent in an area.

Clear as mud?  ;)

Cheers

carpediem, I just read your profile and thought of another point to clarify. PLD is the new revised Accommodation Assistance allowance or AAA, I believe PLD just came about very late in the 90's, maybe even 2000, I enrolled in the reg force in 99 and it was called AAA.   The PLD is supposed to be a little fairer or what have you with how it is given out and what particular rates are given than triple "A" was.

I could be mistaken, but I think you have to be regular force to get it, something to do with the whole posting thing that reservists don't have to worry about.

Cheers

Back