• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any FOO's out there?

F

FOOFIGHTER

Just wondering if there were any Foo's out there? (Still in active service).  I have a couple of equipment specific questions to ask.
Thanks.

I'm trying to remember the proper name of the Laser Rangefinder used for target aquisition...Mounted on a tripod (Goneometer or something like that?).  Do you still use them or have they been replaced by something better? Also, are the procedures much the same for the FOO's as they were about 10 years ago-or have things changed?  Thanks.

AN GVS 5A
is the laser that we were using, however we now use the ESL, and I can't remember its designation of the top of my head(but looks very similar). However, it has a angle measuring head that give you the bearing to the tgt as well as the distance, and you can plug a GPS into it and get a grid to the tgt. Not extremely accurate bearings, but better than nothing. Our troops on Athena were using vector binos when they were light, if I remember correctly.
For light OPs the drills have not changed extensively, the only difference is some new lasers and possibily new radios. Mounted OPs do not even resemble those of 5 years ago, but that's about the vehicle.

Thanks for that...I checked out the AN GVS 5A-That was the one I used to use...Tripod mounted with a ring on the top of the tripod (mil graduations).  I guess things have changed a bit.  We were told not to rely on the new techno stuff too much...as the BC or CO would come by and cover it up.  We'd then have to go back to the old method-binos and map.  It was very effective for BC fireplans though-that was if you couldn't obtain (steal) other FOO party target info, and ended up adjusting targets yourself.

Scott937 said:
AN GVS 5A
is the laser that we were using, however we now use the ESL, and I can't remember its designation of the top of my head(but looks very similar). However, it has a angle measuring head that give you the bearing to the tgt as well as the distance, and you can plug a GPS into it and get a grid to the tgt. Not extremely accurate bearings, but better than nothing. Our troops on Athena were using vector binos when they were light, if I remember correctly.
For light OPs the drills have not changed extensively, the only difference is some new lasers and possibily new radios. Mounted OPs do not even resemble those of 5 years ago, but that's about the vehicle.

It's the ESL-2000...just a weird question but have you ever seen the cable that links it to a PLGR? I'm trying to get a hold of one and am having no luck.  For some reason vector binos are good for Snipers and Inf Recce Pls but not FOOs.  ???

Stand by...

the new DAGR (replacing the plugger) is coming on line--no impact (to the best of my knowledge) on 03-06), but certainly should be in place for 01-07...

training on the kit should be in the oct to nov time-frame...

feel free to PM me if you have more 01-07 related questions.

PS: John, never would have known it was you......

Enh, if I was trying to hide my ID.... I'd be JTF or something.  Anyways, your response really doesn't answer my question, unless of course the  DAGR will be connectable to the ESL as well.

Back