• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any favourite BMQ memories?

My bunk buddy was jacked up for forgetting to put his shoes away and I was written up for it. I actually started catching on that day. Awesome.

Getting all our kit on Thursday, Week 1 in Cornwallis.  I lost my belt somehow.  Told my Master Seaman.  

The good guy that he (I thought was)...20 minutes later came in with a new belt for me...and (this guy was 6 foot 3 or 4) standing over me, says in his MS voice...."YOU OWE ME MILLAR!".

I took out my wallet, and (stupidly, as a Week 1 recruit would) say....

"How much Master Corporal...I mean Seamen"  ok so TWO wrong things to say...

After he pretty much made me crap my pants with the look on his face....well...

1 word folks...

"pushups"

;D

On a Recruit course I was teaching on....

Recruit:  I want to see the Warden.

Me:  the WHAT?  Get your heels together there you when you talk to staff!

Recruit:  I wish to see Warden Officer (insert name here) Sergeant!

I had to walk away...

Same course.

Recruit goes across the drill floor, arms breast pocket high, smartly but no beret on...

Me:  Pte Bloggins, where's your headdress at?!?!?!?

Pte Bloggins:  On my pillow when you let us sleep Sergeant!

::)

He was NOT the tallest tree in the woods but was thought to be one of the thickest...

gravyboat said:
Big time.  I did learn another fellow in my Platoon was from PEI that weekend.  "Watch out boyz, the sidewalk is slippy".

and if it had been winter he woud have said it was "right slippy!"

22 birthday, easter weekend....on a bus going to Cornwallis in 1987. Did not know Mom had stuck a chocholate bunny in my suitcase... "All right welcome to Cornwallis... open your bags"..hmmm I'm sure the staff enjoyed it.

Frankie said:
22 birthday, easter weekend....on a bus going to Cornwallis in 1987. Did not know Mom had stuck a chocholate bunny in my suitcase... "All right welcome to Cornwallis... open your bags"..hmmm I'm sure the staff enjoyed it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ok you just made my night!  :rofl:

Pre-story:
We didnt sleep in our beds (like anyone does  ::) ), a couple days after our FTX we were suppose to have sheet exchange. Most of us didnt do it. Some individual in a state of complete fuckupery told to the Sgt who was doing the sheet exchange that "we dont need to exchange our sheets 'cause we dont sleep in our beds"... Yeah. NOT good.
They made us call take our beds apart, wash them, and do all that while calling out the time 1-23-1 :D
Fun times.

====
@the person who said "waking up at 5am every morning...not". You actually got to sleep in 'til 5? Damn.

During Div Commander's Inspection watching a member of my platoon salute the Major with his left hand.

Watching the same guy then salute the Sergeant Major during the same inspection (at least he did it with the right hand this time).

During First Aid Class pointing to the MCpl instructor implying he should take off his beret (It was the 1st week and I thought he was a member of our platoon). He looked so confused and patted his head checking his beret, I just walked away fearing for my life.

I've a few but this one definately stands out, in fact the whole thing PJ's stands out. At Kapooka (Australian Army Recruit Training) first thing in the morning the staff call out "Hallway" and everyone screams in back, rips off their bottom sheet and bursts into the hallway to stand at attention in there predetermined spots, nothing to unusual there but add to it this. We were issued these ugly lime green PJ's that had a fly in the pants about 10cm long... but with no button...
A bunch of young guys, first thing in the morning, no button. Can you fill the blanks? For the girls there it was an anatomy lesson, for the guys it was simply embarrassing.
Also marching down the hallway to the SAL's and having things fall out through this gigantic hole in the front of your pants, i'm pretty sure they put the girls in the first room before the SAL's just to embarrass us!
May as well add one more as well, the night before the Challenge i was on picket. It was raining heavily, the guy on the minimi (C9) was asleep next to me and all around me nature was raging. It was a huge storm. The i've never seen the sky like i did that night. It was beyond beautiful. Lightning was flashing every few seconds, there was just a constant glow around us, for a brief second huge shadows would swell up and then disappearing in almost the same instant before reappearing in a completely different guise. Kangaroos would suddenly show up not 10m away, smashing through the bush but you never heard a sound of them. Just the thunder everywhere. The sight of the artfully arranged hoochies (we'd created super tents with them) and the sleeping bodies under them as the light created all these different shades, shadows and appearences on them is something i dont think i'll ever be able to describe in all its glory.
I was huddled down next to a tree, wet through and despite it being 3 in the morning i'd never felt so alive or so awake. It was mad, exhilerating, exciting, beautiful, moving, fascinating and beyond belief. When ever i need it i can take myself back to that night and still be in awe of what i saw.
The pride they instilled in us at Kapooka in being an Australian soldier still beats VERY strongly through me and it was the absolute time of my life.
Keep them coming folks,
Hales

My favorite BMQ moment...........Every 11 weeks a grad parade, followed by a couple of days off!!,  Ah leave, need I say more.

A few of my personal favorites:

-being inspected on my reserve BMQ course. M/Cpl checking canteens to make sure they're filled properly. Any that were not, he was launching over his shoulder. Watching him take a nearly full canteen, throw it over his shoulder, and knock out the cleaning lady, who was taking a floor buffer across the floor, priceless. She had to be rushed to emerg with a massive concussion, and somehow actually came back to work. Nothing will ever replace the look on his face, not having seen the event, but hearing this 6'0, 240ish pound woman crumple to the floor.

-seeing the effects of someone in the gas hut have a rather....upset stomach due to the effects of the gas, and deciding to release said troubles...while still wearing their mask.

-seeing a course instructor drive off with their boots still sitting on the roof of their car, never to have the boots seen again.

new_sig_op said:
-seeing the effects of someone in the gas hut have a rather....upset stomach due to the effects of the gas, and deciding to release said troubles...while still wearing their mask.

Ahh yes, the joy of watching the goggles fill...

MM

Okay, I know this will definitely just go to prove the thoughts that certain individuals have about reserves anyway, but here goes.

The best thing about my basic training was being able to go home every night and every weekend.  ;D

I did mine in 1991 and it was called PRSTP (Primary Reserve Summer Training Program).  Starting in 1992, all NavRes started going to Cornwallis, then Borden a few years later for basic.  But up until then, there were approximately 30 recruits at each unit across Canada, that trained within the unit in July and August.  The majority of the course was classroom work, with daily PT and a one week field phase held at a nearby range.  We didn't know any different, so we thought that was all there was to it.

On my IAP a few years ago we were marching to one of our classes and my Section commander comes down(very angry looking) and says 'YOU....come with me...' so I followed him down this hallway completely terrified to where another Sgt is waiting for me(also looking quite angry and he was a BIG guy) anyways he says to me 'I know your dad, just wanted to say hi' and the two Sgts sent me back to class while they laughed in the hallway. Needless to say I had some choice words for my dad when I called home that night.

new_sig_op said:
A few of my personal favorites:

..., and knock out the cleaning lady, who was taking a floor buffer across the floor, priceless....

"Cleaning Lady"?  What's a "Cleaning Lady"?  And why was SHE taking a floor buffer across the floor in YOUR barracks?

My head spins as it shakes.

Roy Harding said:
"Cleaning Lady"?  What's a "Cleaning Lady"?  And why was SHE taking a floor buffer across the floor in YOUR barracks?

My head spins as it shakes.

Hehe, I know I was a "cleaning lady" on my Recruit Training (aka BMQ). So were the other 124 folks in the platoon.  ;D

But that was a few years back (17'ish), Roy, I am betting yours was before mine?  ;D

Mud Recce Man said:
Hehe, I know I was a "cleaning lady" on my Recruit Training (aka BMQ). So were the other 124 folks in the platoon.  ;D

But that was a few years back (17'ish), Roy, I am betting yours was before mine?  ;D

A year or two, perhaps.

Back