• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any Civvy-U/Reservist Students ever done something like this?

benny88

Inactive
Reaction score
Ugh, today in my business class, the abbreviation MWO was used for Mid-Western Ontario. I was asking a question and said Master Warrant Officer. Everyone stared. Doh!

Also, my first class in first year (3 days after graduating IAP) I almost called "Room" for my prof.  :blotto:

I'm sure there's some other stories of people being fish out of water in a civilian setting, let's hear 'em.

I had (and still do) a weird tendency to take off my hat/toque a step before I walked into a building, and put it back on a step before walking out.  I never noticed that until on a trip in the States, when one of my friends told me how it reminded me of her brother (in the USMC)

That's awesome!

I think we all have unique things that carry over to our civvie life, that many of us don't notice. And even if other people noticed, they probably wouldn't know where it comes from. ;)

Someone shouts my name, I have a tendancy to shout back: "SIR!"  Ended up red-faced with a nasty look from my lady boss until I explained.  :-[

I still have an overwheming urge to come to attention in front of the water fountain.

People have pointed out that I only carry stuff in my left hand, and swing my right while walking.

...and, I polish my work boots.  Can't help it.

I tend to not like looking like a tool in front of people, so I can't say I've ever done something like that.

8)

It must be the water in Guelph  ;)

Either that, or that I've been doing "military" stuff since the age of 10 (Navy League, Army Cadets, PRes), and the charm has sort of worn off on me.  I too am not keen on looking like a weiner, and feel that I can seperate the spheres of my life pretty well.

Corps of Guides said:
It must be the water in Guelph  ;)

Either that, or that I've been doing "military" stuff since the age of 10 (Navy League, Army Cadets, PRes), and the charm has sort of worn off on me.  I too am not keen on looking like a weiner, and feel that I can seperate the spheres of my life pretty well.

Indeed.

I think some people do it on purpose to get attention. Same as when they 'accidentally' pull out their DND ID at a bar instead of a normal ID, or wear small packs on campus, or course shirts in class etc etc.

Can't say I'm ashamed of my job, but I don't feel the need to let the world know what I do (I'm not like a firefighter who gets his own vanity plates, window stickers, bumper stickers, windshield stickers etc so that everyone knows who they are  ;)).

Piper said:
I think some people do it on purpose to get attention. Same as when they 'accidentally' pull out their DND ID at a bar instead of a normal ID, or wear small packs on campus, or course shirts in class etc etc.

I have provided the DND card as a second piece in the past, but other than that, nope.  I also feel bad for people humping small packs around campus - its not like we're working for free, right?

Piper said:
Can't say I'm ashamed of my job, but I don't feel the need to let the world know what I do (I'm not like a firefighter who gets his own vanity plates, window stickers, bumper stickers, windshield stickers etc so that everyone knows who they are  ;)).

Agreed - most "army" I get is if I happen to have a course shirt (etc.) in my gym bag on a given day.  Other than that, nope.  Maybe we should look into that sticker thing?

Dimsum said:
I had (and still do) a weird tendency to take off my hat/toque a step before I walked into a building, and put it back on a step before walking out. 

That's showing good manners. Especially in the presence of a lady.

My friend is a firefighter with an awesome "Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet" t-shirt. If the Army ever had a sweet shirt like that I'd buy one for every day of the week.

Indeed.

Ughh! GHEY!

Thats just as bad as wearing I.D. disks to the bar. Wanna know where my dogtags are? In that velco pocket on the inside of my combat shirt.  I just leave them there, let them go through the wash, and then one day when I need them that's where they'll be.  The only time I've actually worn mine in years has been overseas when someone may have needed my ZAP number, or to a lesser extent on exercise if I just happened to be feeling particularly hardcore that week.

I think the only time I get weird looks while wearing civvie clothes is if I accidentally refer to someone as "as bag of hammers".

Wonderbread said:
Ughh! GHEY!

Thats just as bad as wearing I.D. disks to the bar. Wanna know where my dogtags are? In that velco pocket on the inside of my combat shirt.  I just leave them there, let them go through the wash, and then one day when I need them that's where they'll be.  The only time I've actually worn mine in years has been overseas when someone may have needed my ZAP number, or to a lesser extent on exercise if I just happened to be feeling particularly hardcore that week.

I think the only time I get weird looks while wearing civvie clothes is if I accidentally refer to someone as "as bag of hammers".

Ugh, ID disks in civvies drives me bannas. It looks dumb and both civvies and military folk alike think you're an idiot. Just like the dink here who had his out talking about how he got them issued in case he died in Afghanistan. Turns out he was 2 weeks into his weekend BMQ.

Anyways, I guess I'm guilty of using my DND ID once or twice but only when I get double carded and I'm without anything else (quite literally, it's been once or twice). I always used to quiz guys when I was working the door on what unit they were with etc when I got handed a DND ID, mostly just for fun. Caught one kid with a fake temp DND ID once. Had some fun with that kid...

Regardless I really can't understand it when people can't differentiate between when they are in uniform and when they aren't, or 'accidentally' blurt out a distinctly army term. Except for insults, only because the forces are a breeding ground for fantastic insults and curses.

I dunno, after I got into the habit of saying "yes MCpl" or "yes sir" it transferred over to "yes (insert name here" instead of "yep." But I guess that's just the habit of being assertive too, and not necessarily army specific.

Piper said:

I too have used it for a second piece, but a pet peeve of mine is the "acidental" spilling of the ID discs from the shirt. Or the claim that one cannot afford a civvy bag and "must" use the small pack.

Anyways, no need to be for anyone to be all hostile and call people tools; everyone's done some stupid things at one point. And if you can't say anything nice...

benny88 said:
Anyways, no need to be for anyone to be all hostile and call people tools; everyone's done some stupid things at one point. And if you can't say anything nice...

The term is entirely appropriate for someone wandering around campus in his smallpack, ballistic glasses for shades (gotta protect against these errant pebbles while walking), ID disks and a BMQ/IAP course t-shirt with "pain is temporary-pride is forever" or another equally silly term plastered across the back in CADPAT lettering. I actually think it's an unofficial rule that the hardcore-ness of a course shirt's slogan is in inverse proportion to the difficulty of the course.

I've got to be honest, I have nothing nice to say to someone who dresses like that. A couple bucks invested in fashionable clothes didn't kill anyone. 

Piper said:
The term is entirely appropriate for someone wandering around campus in his smallpack, ballistic glasses for shades (gotta protect against these errant pebbles while walking), ID disks and a BMQ/IAP course t-shirt with "pain is temporary-pride is forever" or another equally silly term plastered across the back in CADPAT lettering. I actually think it's an unofficial rule that the hardcore-ness of a course shirt's slogan is in inverse proportion to the difficulty of the course.
I've got to be honest, I have nothing nice to say to someone who dresses like that. A couple bucks invested in fashionable clothes didn't kill anyone.

We can agree on that. And as for the bolded part, consider your unofficial rule confirmed. To add to it, I find that weasels like pilots (see profile before you jump on me) and other non-pointy-end trades tend to wear aforementioned h-core shirts in such settings much more often than actual combat arms types.

benny88 said:
We can agree on that. And as for the bolded part, consider your unofficial rule confirmed. To add to it, I find that weasels like pilots (see profile before you jump on me) and other non-pointy-end trades tend to wear aforementioned h-core shirts in such settings much more often than actual combat arms types.

I wouldn't go that far. I've seen lots of guys with goofy shirts from all different trades. I think it has more to do with an inferiority complex then anything else (same reason you see so many guys wearing Tapout shirts who couldn't throw a good punch if their lives depended on it).

How'd we get to talking about t-shirts again?  :D

Piper said:

Its a pleasure to know that there is still a few Perfect and Righteous Politically Correct Men around.

Cheers.

ballz said:
I dunno, after I got into the habit of saying "yes MCpl" or "yes sir" it transferred over to "yes (insert name here" instead of "yep." But I guess that's just the habit of being assertive too, and not necessarily army specific.

Got in the habit?

Dude, in the other thread you said you've completed half a BMQ course. Whats that? Four weekends? Gimme a break...

I don't wan't to discourage a keen young potential officer... but at the same time don't be a wiener either.

I only did 3 weekends actually, plus 4-5 parades on Thursdays night. And the whole purpose I did that (on my own time) was to make habits so that when I do my BMOQ this May I'll already have trivial stuff like that made a habit and can worry on the more important stuff.

A wiener? I learn quickly, effin sue me.

Back