• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Am I too old, fat, or fit in? 2001 to 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
"At thirty would I be too old to qualify for the direct officer entry program?"

Just something I found on Google. Speak to a Recruiter to verify:
"there is no maximum age, but an applicant must be able to complete the terms of service offered on enrolment prior to the release age prescribed in QR&O Chapter 15, Release. Terms of service take into account restricted release policy, any obligatory service that may be incurred, and military occupation training."
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/dao-doa/5000/5002-1-eng.asp

And, if you're wondering, the "release age" mentioned that is outlined in QR&Os Chapter 15 is, for all officers who commence their service as an officer of the regular force on or after 1 July 2004, 60 years of age. Sounds to me like plenty of time to get a career in.

Having seen a number of "older" candidates on officer training, no, 30 is not too old.  However, do not expect to rise above the rank of Captain.  If you do, you will not be in a position to command a company.  Most company commanders these days are around 30, so, you are behind them in those terms.

Having said that, there are many good positions to fill and your life experiences may assist you in your path, should you choose to do so.

I commissioned at 30+ and am quite happy with my current career path.  There are Tons of Older people joining the Officer Ranks.  I agree with TechnoVic that you may be limited in certain issues, but there are plenty of fulfilling tasks out there to keep you busy. 

Yes, if Inf is a choice, age will also impact whether the member commands a rifle company, attends staff college (Toronto or otherwise), gets promoted beyond major; all effecting future job choices.

Sprinting Thistle said:
Yes, if Inf is a choice, age will also impact whether the member commands a rifle company, attends staff college (Toronto or otherwise), gets promoted beyond major; all effecting future job choices.

If I join at 35 as ACSO or Signals O, (this is what I hope will happen soon) my chances of getting Major or Lt. Col. are reduced ? Does my MBA can count for something in the promotion system and helps me in getting higher ranks ?

Thanks

Dombi said:
If I join at 35 as ACSO or Signals O, (this is what I hope will happen soon) my chances of getting Major or Lt. Col. are reduced ? Does my MBA can count for something in the promotion system and helps me in getting higher ranks ?

Thanks
Yes, your promotion hinges entirely on your post-secondary education, because as officers, we aren't commanders or leaders, we are pencil-headed geeks [/sarcasm]

Actually, out of 100% potential score, an MBA may count for 1%, so I'm not saying it's useless, I'm just saying there it is.

As for getting to Major or LCol, age has nothing to do with it.  Age has everything to do with commanding a line unit or sub-unit.  If you join DEO at 35, and suppose that you are complete officer training at 36, you will then "normally" wait 8-12 years to become Major (44-48).  So, it's not really a matter of age, but of mathematics. 

Dombi said:

Thanks

For ACSO, your educational qualifications can earn you up to 3 points out of 100 on the promotion board as both a Captain and a Major. I can't say for sure if your MBA would be worth the full 3 points, but I'd say you've got a decent chance of getting 2 points for it.

For SIGS, education is rated 4 points out of 100. For this one, at least for the promotion from Captain to Major, I think you have a decent chance of getting the full four points. SIGS is one of the trades that advertised sponsoring a position from their trade for a MBA in the most recent Post-Graduate Training Program message.

For both of these, this information is only valid until after you've been promoted to LCol. After that, things are rated differently.

I was a 27 year old Troop Leader and now I am a 38 year old Squadron Commander.

Masters degrees can give extra points to promotion, but they really only factor into the promotion board.  For your file to reach that board you need to have three years of really good evaluations, and those usually come from having the right jobs. You get those good jobs by doing well at other important jobs in your brach (although non-combat arms folks seem to be a little more free and easy with career paths). All that to say that education and language can help but you absolutely need to do really well at the critical jobs for your branch before those extras kick in. Of course, if you lack education and second language you may well reach the boards based on performance but fall short due to those extra things.

You may not get to Chief of Defence Staff this life around, but I don't think that 30 is too old to join.

hey guys!

I've just recently decided to go serious on my decision to finally switch careers to the armed forces. I've had this dream ever since i was a junior hs student.

my key question however is I'm currently 23 turning 24 in may, am i too old to apply for ROTP for either infantry/armour or MARS officer? (I've still got plenty of research to do) but i figure by the time these positions open up and I've passed security clearance i will probably in for sept 2011 at the earliest which i will be 25 by then.

also I've heard there is a high failure rate in MARS due to their training does anyone have any insights on this? is it cause of the math? or a specific aspect?

all help is appreciated.

The maximum age at which you can apply for ROTP is 47 for MARS, and 46 for Infantry and Armoured. You need to have enough time to be able to complete your variable initial engagement (the length of which varies by trade) before you reach the compulsory retirement age of 60.

And yes, a fair number of MARS types wash out. While I won't say that the "math" itself isn't a factor, it's rarely the main factor. More important is the ability to be able to quickly react, correctly, in highly stressful situations. Some of this does involve doing quick calculations in your head, but I suspect that the type of person who has trouble doing that is likely also to have trouble making other non-math related decisions in similar scenarios.

Also, if you considering a career as an officer in Her Majesty's Canadian Armed Forces, I highly suggest you start refining your communication skills now. I presume your keyboard came with a shift key. You might wish to utilize it.

CanadianSun said:
I've heard there is a high failure rate in MARS due to their training does anyone have any insights on this? is it cause of the math? or a specific aspect?
http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/91973/post-909388.html#msg909388

I am a 47 year old female taking steps to join CF. would be interested in any feedback from current Military ranks or others who joined at a later stage in life.
I am healthy, well educated, my first career was being a Mom to 3 kids, later acheived business management level; I think that I can make BMQ, although some areas would need improvement I am confident that I can work myself up to the required fitness level, I am in the gym 4-5 per week for the past year.
any advice or feedback for someone going in at my age? this is a strong desire I have to plant my feet in something solid, disciplined and ordered in life, something that serves, something other than just putting money in my pocket;
I have a bit of Military background, my father served in the Canadian Army while I grew  up, he was posted to nearly every base here in Canada, and posted for 3 years in Germany.
any feedback would be appreciated.

I just finished BMOQ in December and there was a women the same age as you....so it is definitely possible..

best of luck!!

34qssgj.jpg

Only joking.

As long as you are fully committed to the course, and baring physical injury, you will successfully complete the BMQ. A good level of cardiovascular endurance and being a good runner will serve you better than say superior upper body strength. The better physical shape you are in prior to the course will translate into an easier time during the course. Joining at 47 isn't significantly different than an experienced member of the same age having to pass the physical requirements to remain operational and employable.

A few years back a small group of us would have morning physical training together. Routinely, the highest performances were from our oldest member present, who was 48 at the time. No denying that age is a factor, but it is hardly the most important.

Best of luck with your future endeavors.

Age is just a number.  I myself, am an old"er" female (45 to be exact) who has just accepted my offer for RMS Clerk - Land and head to basic in St. Jean July 10th.  Determination and life experiences that we have as older applicants will serve us well in our newfound careers in the CF.  I am so pumped and excited to be moving on to a new chapter in my life, as is my family.

I am working hard on the physical aspects beforehand so that I am prepared for basic and am confident you can do it....Feel free to pm if you want to chat about the process I went through.  Best of Luck!!!!  :salute:

My friends mom last year went from a McJob to Combat Engineer. She did the same as you... took a year to get really fit and she's now off to finish her trades training I believe... and she was 47 or 48. So, if that helps reassure you! :)

thanking everyone for all the feedback and encouragement. I look forward to completing the entry stages and be on my way I hope!
good to hear the success stories of other females who are doing or have done the same.

thanks again!
  :salute:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back