• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Am I too old, fat, or fit in? 2001 to 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Linny;  I got a lot of great advice on my original post that PMedmoe posted the link for above.  And I also seem to recall someone telling me they needed pictures....hmmmm  :-\  But I would like to add, in all seriousness, I have found the process to be challenging but mostly EXCITING.  I have not even gone to BMQ yet, but I am excited and reassured with the help of my friends on ARMY.CA. 

Comb the threads and soak it up, there is so much information here that I am sure you will receive the encouragement you need to proceed! 

Good luck and have fun!! :salute:

TFLY

CanadianSun said:
my key question however is I'm currently 23 turning 24 in may, am i too old to apply for ROTP...

CanadianSun:

You're definitely not too old..... I was thinking the same thoughts as you (for any entry plan - not specifically ROTP), but I was accepted ROTP for 2010-2011 as Pilot and I'm 33 (turning 34 this year)....

Good Luck.

Too old, not at all; however, I don't know if I would recommend going the RMC route if I were you.  Seeing as how your 24 and probably going to be 25 by the time your accepted going to RMC could be a very difficult adjustment.

You have most likely been living on your own for a few years, going to RMC will mean you will be living with people who are 17 to 18 years old, sometimes even younger.  You will be living in University style dorms, with a roommate who is continuously in your face for possibly four years.  This is a very hard adjustment to make, you will be eating crap food, have pretty crap living conditions and not a whole lot of personal space or privacy.  For someone who had lived on their own for a few years transitioning to this can be extremely difficult.  I know I had lived on my own for a few years before I went to RMC and I found this to be the biggest adjustment, and sometimes it was almost unbearable.

Having said that I am not discouraging the program RMC offers; however, if you are going to go the ROTP route I strongly recommend you go through a Normal University, unless you think the adjustment won't be a big problem.

I'm 26, i have a degree, and im thinking about becoming a MARS officer? Am I too old? Will I be the oldest person in training?

Ummm, not even close.

Max age for Appl as a DEO MARS officer is 51 I believe.
(If the contract for MARS is 9 years, which I think it is, but I don't have the ppwk right here in front of me)

Please use the search function.  This question has been asked numerous times.

i am a 40 yr old architect that has thought a lot about this and would be interested in joining the military. is there any chance in hell? i want to go into the fray and not essentially be a paper pusher. i want to serve. let and augment my skills. do something real and worthy. thoughts?

rbillard said:
i want to go into the fray and not essentially be a paper pusher. i want to serve.

Everyone who wears a CF uniform is indeed serving, regardless of what their specific duties are.

CDN Aviator said:
Everyone who wears a CF uniform is indeed serving, regardless of what their specific duties are.

Excellent response CDN Aviator, I am almost through the application process and am very hopeful to become one of those "paper pushers" and I couldn't be more proud of the path I have chosen.
As for being 40 and considering applying? Go for it, I soon turn 48 and applied in January.  Remember, with age comes maturity, self-discipline, and wisdom (for most), all traits of which will only benefit you as an applicant and your service to the uniform.  All the best to you and hope it all works out for you.

rbillard said:
i am a 40 yr old architect that has thought a lot about this and would be interested in joining the military. is there any chance in hell? i want to go into the fray and not essentially be a paper pusher. i want to serve. let and augment my skills. do something real and worthy. thoughts?
If you think being a paper pusher isn't a contribution, remember the last time your pay didn't get automatically deposited into your account.  Like Cdn Aviator so aptly put it....
CDN Aviator said:

To answer the question - go to Forces.ca, take a look around and fill out an application.  My wife joined in her mid 40's - it's nothing people aren't used to seeing anymore.

Good luck.

MM

thank you all for your input and encouragement.  i do not mean to sound negative about paper pushing, it is just that i have been doing that for a while and would like to expand my horizons and work as a cohesive team. (not that a clerical group is not a team...).

You should consider the Engineer trades.  If an Engineer is reading, please refine my explanation. 

Structure tech (combination of draftsmen and carpenter) would be a natural fit for you.  Making an assumption that you have a university degree, becoming an officer could put you into a job with a ton of responsibility. 

As far as going into the fray with this job, these soldiers are needed to enter foreign areas in the initial phases of an operation in order to set up infrastructure.  Likely a very demanding and rewarding job.

Another Engineer trade is Geo Tech (mapping).  As far as I know, this is not a direct entry trade but, with the education and skills you already possess this may be something you might want to pursue.  In my opinion, digital mapping and info systems are just starting to emerge and have a very bright future.

If that doesn't work for you, I'll plug my own in here.  Go Arty!  We need guys with strong mapping and math skills.  You've learned how to design and build things.  Now learn how to blow them up.

In closing, age should not keep you from joining.  As long as your reasonably fit,  work on running and basic strength training and you'll be fine.  Maturity and wisdom goes a long way.

Hi everybody,

I have a well-paid full-time job that I like - however I've been thinking about joining the Reserves for some time now (Infantry or Armored - not too sure yet).  I would also like to do the direct entry officer program given my education and overall personnality .  I need a bit of guidance about how to proceed, particularly regarding the time it takes to do the basic training and the officer training.

Essentially, I need to know specifically how long it takes so I can ask for that time off my regular work.  I understand that basic training can be done in different modules during week-ends.  However, I read that the officer training is performed during the summer.  How long is that course?  I found conflicting information on the Internet and I would like some of you to help me out.

Thank you very much for any help and tips you guys can give me.  I appreciate it!!!

You're in the right Forum (Training). Now, if you look at some of the topics listed here, or do a search, there's an extremely good chance that all your questions have already been answered. Have a look around, you'll be suprised what you'll find.

Welcome to Millnet.

Milnet.ca Staff

Thanks.  I already searched a bit and the information seems to be all over the place.  I think I'll call Fort York so I can get a clear idea.

It won't be easy asking my employer for 2-3 months off during the summer.  I just wanted the exact amount of weeks needed.

Some training can be done over week ends. Such as BMOQ, basic training for officers.

You also might want to Google the Canadian Forces Liaison Council for help with your employer.

Thanks NinerSix.

I work for the Federal Government.  There is a policy stating that an employee can have leave without pay for military service / training.  This aspect is covered.  The leadership or officer course (don't know the exact term) taking place during the summer is a few months (?) and this means a pay cut for me!  I need to save up enough dough to pay my mortgage during that time! :)

MidnightSun82 said:
Thanks NinerSix.

I work for the Federal Government.  There is a policy stating that an employee can have leave without pay for military service / training.  This aspect is covered.  The leadership or officer course (don't know the exact term) taking place during the summer is a few months (?) and this means a pay cut for me!  I need to save up enough dough to pay my mortgage during that time! :)
Well, the other option, like someone else said, is take it on weekends if it's available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back