• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

Yea I talked to my file manager and it turns out that I am keeping the place.

Does anyone know how I can find out where each zone for Toronto is? I have no idea which zone my place is in.

I just got here at Stadacona about a month ago and I noticed a big drop in pay. I guess rations at the A-block galley are 500 and some bucks, and Quarters are 100 and some. That's more than half my pay after taxes! Now I haven't looked into living off base but I heard when you do you receive PLD which is 675, or close anyway. But I've also heard some stories where people didn't receive the PLD for a couple of months. The PMQ I have no idea about the prices and the cost and the PLD but some answers would be appreciated. But...

Which can you save the most money?
Is 500 a month for rations overpriced?
Is it better to just to be posted in A-block so I don't have to walk far to the school?

I know it is a pretty good deal to have the galley there and people cook for you, and then they do the dishes. But sometimes I just want some food that I want to eat instead of eating what ever is there. It wouldn't be so bad if there was just like a little kitchen in A-block where you could cook, like a hostel for a university or something. But anyway, which is the best way to save money?

While finding accomodations elsewhere might allow you to decrease your bill for food on a monthly basis, it will also come along with a large increase in the lodging costs. Keeping in mind that PLD is taxable, I do not think that you'll be able to find suitable accomodations for a price low enough to allow you to actually save money by moving out of A block.

There are other factors too, such as furnishings. Furnished apartments can be obtained, but of course, they cost more. Otherwise you'll looking at a rather large up-front cost. And then there's the transportation thing. Will you be able to find a place within walking distance of the base, or will you have to take a bus, or attempt to arrange for a carpool? There's a lot of little things that pop up that'll cost you money, which you might otherwise not have to spring for when living in.

Which isn't to say that I don't think moving out can be a good idea, but doing so to attempt to save money might not be the best thing.

Your post has hit on the one area missing in A Block, vice Windsor Block...the lack of a kitchenette. Sadly, from a Pre-Med perspective the idea will be denied right away. I have lived in both blocks and as a jr, you have a tough choice to make when it comes to your personal budget. Before complaining, consider that in other bases you would not be allows to "live in". I do not like to resort to the "suck it up" phrase...But...

All said,  $600+ for R&Q sounds a little steep especially A Block. Log into EMAA and see what you are actually paying. I know for most, our pay around this time of year seems a little awry as EI and CPP is being topped up. Actually my pay too, went down by about $50 (as has my co-workers) and we have yet to determine what that is all about.

And, welcome to Nova Scotia ... check out their provincial tax rate for their brackets when compared to other provinces; me thinks that is also contributing to your lighter wallet; also note that their brackets for higher rates begin at lower incomes than other provinces.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html

Hey guys. I am looking to see if anyone can answer this question by tomorrow! I am moving my family from Nanaimo to Victoria and want to know if Shawnigan Lake is considered in area for Esquimalt PLD. Let me know. Thanks!

I don't have an answer, but am wondering why someone would want an answer within two hours on a Sunday morning for something that may require some research on the DWAN?

Then again, why wouldn't this person do their own SEARCH on the site for the information on PLD in Victoria and negate the need to start a new topic on it?

Then again, I am beginning to seriously question the IQs and Common Sense of a vast majority of the residents of my fair city (not Victoria).

First off, I did a search and did not fond the answers I needed. Second off I needed to know asap on a sundaay because I am looking at a place to rent in Shawnigan lake this afternoon and have to be able to know if I can afford to live there so I let the owners know if I can take the house or not. Third off I am not on base this weekend, I am with my family in Nanaimo, where I do not have access to the DIN. Fourth or all, instead of speculating as to my motives for this new topic, cab you not just trust that perhaps there are reasons beoyond your knowledge and give a yes or know answer. Thanks for the input fellas. BTW, thanks MM :)

willellis said:
First off, I did a search and did not fond the answers I needed.

What, no thanks to me?  I found that map on my first Google search.  :'(

PMedMoe said:
What, no thanks to me?  I found that map on my first Google search.  :'(

You didn't spoon feed him the answer, Moe!  ;)

Occam said:
You didn't spoon feed him the answer, Moe!  ;)

Click on the link I posted.  That map clearly shows Shawnigan Lake in the PLD zone.  Cripes, how much more spoon fed could you get than a visual?    ::)  ;)

Sorry man. When I looked at the thread, there were a bunch of posts and I skimmed at first to see if the answer I needed was there.  Your link was acctually what I was trying to find for quite a while. I knew it was out there, but couldn't find it. I never thought to google it and instead tried searching the DND site.  ::). Thanks though. Oh and next time could you use a bigger spoon.

Hey guys!

I will be going to basic training in about 2 months, in the navy and i am still trying to decide a preference on what coast i would like be posted, that being said I hear Victoria is alot more expensive then Halifax but I keep hearing something PLD to help cover, now i read the info on the national defense site but I was wondering if anyone here (preferably someone that gets it of course) can tell me about it in English, what cities get it? is it the same amount for everyone everywhere? how is it calculated?

thanks everyone!

Cory13 said:
Hey guys!

I will be going to basic training in about 2 months, in the navy and i am still trying to decide a preference on what coast i would like be posted, that being said I hear Victoria is alot more expensive then Halifax but I keep hearing something PLD to help cover, now i read the info on the national defense site but I was wondering if anyone here (preferably someone that gets it of course) can tell me about it in English, what cities get it? is it the same amount for everyone everywhere? how is it calculated?

thanks everyone!

There is a great search function in the forums here.  I typed in "PLD" and found a few threads for you to read through:

Post Living Differential (PLD)

PLD on Enrollment

PLD Rates

Esquimalt PLD Zone

Back