• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

I don't have access to DND pubs and was wondering what would the approx. LOA for living out on the economy in Hfx for an OS.  Thanks

$631....and it's not called Living Out Allowance, it's called Post Living Differential, or PLD.  You're paid the same regardless of rank.  There is lots of information on PLD here and here.

While its great to have don't count on it, there are murmurings from our ships office its being getting rid of.

Heard a lot of rumors as well, I really can't see it disappearing all together, what I been hearing its probably going to half of what it is now.

Of course, it must be the signs of good times to come then.... things getting cheaper.  Hope someone sent NSP and the URB a memo that happy days are here again.  Oh, wait!  That's for them, not us.

mad dog 2020 said:
I don't have access to DND pubs and was wondering what would the approx. LOA for living out on the economy in Hfx for an OS.  Thanks

Quite a few DND/CF pubs are available on the internet.  Some allowances are described in CBI 205.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pub/cbi-dra/205-eng.asp

I think the last time it was assessed it was supposed to be going down, when it was actually assessed it actually went up! Things are no better here. If it does disappear, its a cost cutting measure pure and simple.

Chief Stoker said:
While its great to have don't count on it, there are murmurings from our ships office its being getting rid of.

This past summer the question was brought up to a high ranking officer who was visiting the ship and he said that their were no plans in the immediate future to change/modify PLD. How long immediate future is or if their thinking about it who knows.

I would hate to see individual members have to suffer financially if it does change and their not ready for it.

Its nice to say don't count on it, and your not suppose to count on sea pay, Class C etc. The problem is many people do count on it for living out, its hard not to.

I have heard of people counting on estimates from travel claims to pay their new car, rent etc...and freaking out when the money doesn't come fast enough or in a large enough amount.

Sea Pay/PLD might not be quite the same, but it's still not guaranteed salary at the end of the day. All it takes is a couple pen strokes and it's on the way out. 

If you read the LDA thread here, apparently that is on the way out. RUMINT in that thread mentioned that sea pay might be next...

IMO, I would rather see people lose their sea pay/LDA (and be paid a daily rate when at sea/when in the field) than lose their PLD. I think PLD is more justifiable to the government/public.

Spectrum said:
RUMINT in that thread mentioned that sea pay might be next...

SDA is a different elephant than LDA and much easier to distinguish who gets it. The issues with who does and does not get LDA are what is leading to its possible downfall and will have little effect if any on sea pay.

Cant state my sources on this but it was from a rather reliable source who I think we could all trust lol Take it or leave it  :2c:

Spectrum said:
IMO, I would rather see people lose their sea pay/LDA (and be paid a daily rate when at sea/when in the field) than lose their PLD. I think PLD is more justifiable to the government/public.

Actually, precisely the opposite is true.  PLD is a very hard sell to the public (particularly the Public Service, who don't receive it) and Treasury Board.  It took us years to get it approved and its continuance has always been a struggle.  Treasury Board's chief objection is that it does not want to be seen in anyway to be using tax dollars to improve anyone's equity.  This is why PLD's predecessor (Accomodations Assistance Allowance - AAA) was only for renters.

I like the idea of SDA being a daily allowance, but that's a topic for another thread.

Pusser said:
I like the idea of SDA being a daily allowance, but that's a topic for another thread.

I disagree Pusser. I think SDA is about the only thing keeping allot of people committed to the ships and if you remove that compounded with amount of time away some ships spend away plus duty watches I think you would be hard pressed to get people to ships. We don't get much recognition for what we do in the Navy. I think the extra pay goes a very long way to keeping the manning at least where it is.

What they should do is make it easier to remove the pay from those who shouldn't get it but do.

Pusser said:
PLD is a very hard sell to the public (particularly the Public Service, who don't receive it) and Treasury Board.  It took us years to get it approved and its continuance has always been a struggle.  Treasury Board's chief objection is that it does not want to be seen in anyway to be using tax dollars to improve anyone's equity.

I'll buy that argument when we get to choose our postings.

Halifax Tar said:
I disagree Pusser. I think SDA is about the only thing keeping allot of people committed to the ships and if you remove that compounded with amount of time away some ships spend away plus duty watches I think you would be hard pressed to get people to ships. We don't get much recognition for what we do in the Navy. I think the extra pay goes a very long way to keeping the manning at least where it is.

What they should do is make it easier to remove the pay from those who shouldn't get it but do.

The purpose of SDA is to compensate people for going to sea and to encourage them to do so.  If you can draw SDA without going to sea (which you can, either as unfit sea or in a designated position), in what way is this an incentive?  If we pay it on a daily basis (as we do CASSDA) then only those who actually go to sea will get it.  In that way it is a true incentive.  Combined with this, I would also eliminate the monthly cap on CASSDA so that those who go to sea a lot, get more than those who don't go as much.  In short, I'm not advocating getting rid of SDA.  I'm simply saying we need to redistribute it so that those who truly deserve it will get it and the more you go to sea, the more you get.  This is not currently the case.

niceasdrhuxtable said:
I'll buy that argument when we get to choose our postings.

The fact that we do not get to choose our postings is the main reason we were able to get PLD approved.  However, that doesn't mean there isn't still opposition to the concept.

Pusser said:
The purpose of SDA is to compensate people for going to sea and to encourage them to do so.  If you can draw SDA without going to sea (which you can, either as unfit sea or in a designated position), in what way is this an incentive?  If we pay it on a daily basis (as we do CASSDA) then only those who actually go to sea will get it.  In that way it is a true incentive.  Combined with this, I would also eliminate the monthly cap on CASSDA so that those who go to sea a lot, get more than those who don't go as much.  In short, I'm not advocating getting rid of SDA.  I'm simply saying we need to redistribute it so that those who truly deserve it will get it and the more you go to sea, the more you get.  This is not currently the case.

I have no issue with revamping who gets it and I would agree that once labeled as unfit sea your SDA should cease. For ships in refit they only collect the sea pay for 6 months of refit and then it ceases while only garnering point with no cash.

But doing away with and only issuing it for days while at sea will cause, and I promise it will, a huge discontent in the fleet(s) at all ranks and will greatly effect manning. The draw for some people to be posted to ship is the SDA. All those with 20 + years in will have lost another incentive to stick around and will simply go else where. SDA is also there and justified by our duty watches (home and foreign port) and the long extra hours people put on the grey hulls. I always saw it as my overtime pay.

Halifax Tar said:
But doing away with and only issuing it for days while at sea will cause, and I promise it will, a huge discontent in the fleet(s) at all ranks and will greatly effect manning. The draw for some people to be posted to ship is the SDA.

I agree that there will be a lot of discontent, but how many decisions are made that don't cause lots of b*tching and moaning?  I'm not sure that actually amounts to anything, as it's forgotten as soon as something new to complain about happens.

As for manning, I think that it would represent a massive issue of discipline within the Navy, if a few hundred bucks is all that's keeping our sailors at sea.

Back