• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All You Want To Know About Bagpipes[ and then some]- Merged

redleafjumper

Inactive
Reaction score
I wonder how many contributors to this forum are pipers.  I note that Michael Dorosh is one, as am I and it occurred to me that there might be a few others.  In my case I played in cadets and in a Legion band for many years and also when the occasion suited for various military events as well as weddings, funerals and parties.  I like Naill and Sinclair chanters and play either in my Hardie pipes.  What about the rest?

Bagpipes rock!

piper here with the ash cans, and I play a set of McCallum AB4 clasp edition

Favourite pipe tunes?  Well I did post some to the "Best Marches" thread awhile ago, but here they are and some others.  The various 6/8's such as MacNeil of Ugadale, Dr. Ross's  50th Welcome to Argyllshire Highland Gathering.  I am partial to tunes by Donald Macleod, but I also like the traditional military tunes many such as Black Bear with Caller Herring, and The Meeting of the Waters.  The Barren Rocks of Aden is also a fine tune, and I also like Leaving Port Askaig as well as Lord Alexander Kennedy.  I like lots of the old traditional tunes - the Crimean Long Reveille medley is a childhood favourite that encouraged me to play the pipes.  The Walrus is a nifty hornpipe.

The Kilworth Hills is a good 4/4 for a procession and for slow marches there is always the Skye Boat Song and the Highland Cradle Song.  For funerals Dark Island and Lord Lovat's Lament work well as light music.  The 78's tune "Journey to Skye" is amazing.

In the heavy tunes, Lament for the Old Sword, The Men Went to Drink, The Wee Spree, and "A Flame of wrath for Squinting Patrick" are favourites.  Of course there are others I like; it's hard to pick favourites when there are so many great tunes.

redleafjumper said:
Favourite pipe tunes?   Well I did post some to the "Best Marches" thread awhile ago, but here they are and some others.    The various 6/8's such as MacNeil of Ugadale, Dr. Ross's   50th Welcome to Argyllshire Highland Gathering.   I am partial to tunes by Donald Macleod, but I also like the traditional military tunes many such as Black Bear with Caller Herring, and The Meeting of the Waters.   The Barren Rocks of Aden is also a fine tune, and I also like Leaving Port Askaig as well as Lord Alexander Kennedy.   I like lots of the old traditional tunes - the Crimean Long Reveille medley is a childhood favourite that encouraged me to play the pipes.   The Walrus is a nifty hornpipe.

The Kilworth Hills is a good 4/4 for a procession and for slow marches there is always the Skye Boat Song and the Highland Cradle Song.   For funerals Dark Island and Lord Lovat's Lament work well as light music.   The 78's tune "Journey to Skye" is amazing.

In the heavy tunes, Lament for the Old Sword, The Men Went to Drink, The Wee Spree, and "A Flame of wrath for Squinting Patrick" are favourites.   Of course there are others I like; it's hard to pick favourites when there are so many great tunes.

Being a drummer myself I think you will like this: http://www.linuxguruz.com/hold/Scottish.mp3

I don't play myself but growing up in Cape Breton I have grown to love the pipes, no matter what's played.  My husband plays though and I usually have him play a few on his channer(sp)  since I have found it hard to hear the pipes as often since moving out west.  Our son, 3 years old, loves the pipes too and whenever he hears pipe music calls it "Daddy radio"!!  Keep on piping since it is a beautiful thing and not something just anyone can just pick up and play.  I have to say that for me a set of piped and a fiddle can make a kitchen party turn into a whole new thing.  So, I will kick up my heals and step it out with you all!!

Piper in Almonte, Ontario, ex-gunner as well, lucky my left ear is the deafer one.  Tunes I'm keen on right now:
MacNeil's of Ugadale
Mrs. Lilly Christie
King George V Army
Hammer and Anvil (I'm a blacksmith)
Cullen Bay

And picking up Keel Row for a funeral ....

Ubique
Regan

Some good tunes here and that was a nice drum set.  Listen to this station for more good piping and drumming music:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/noscript.shtml?/radio/aod/scotland_aod.shtml?scotl...

Is anyone here aware of a good bagpipe instructor in Edmonton? 

There should be quite a few.  I remember a fellow called Pat Knapper who is very good.  He used to play with the Edmonton Boys Pipe band, and later with a grade one band or two, but I don't know if he is still around.  Try to find someone from that band, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

There are some who claim I'm an Argyll at heart...

But I don't think it's a crime for a Riley to love the bagpipes and be fascinated by kilts.  ;)

My husband plays for the 78th Citadel Halifax Highlanders in Halifax NS. He has been in for about 2 years now but has played with many pipebands since he was 15. He can play bass and snare but mostly plays tenor drum. I was piped up the aisle for my wedding this past Saturday (17th) and it was beautiful. A very well known piper by the name of Bruce Gandy plays with my husband in the pipe band and agreed to pipe me up the aisle.

For those of you who would like a good chat session with some amazing pipers and drummers, check out this site. Its a favorite of ours:

http://tenordrummer.com/

w00t for pipers.

I'm in my cadet pipe band, and I play with Paris/Port Dover in their grade 5 comp. band (now going grade 4). I've also played in the Blackdown CTC P&D performance band for the past 2 years, and this year I even won top piper. I'm currently in the process of joining the reserves (infantry), but if they don't want me due to my eyesight, I might just join as a musician and join the Argylls.

Lexi said:
There are some who claim I'm an Argyll at heart...

But I don't think it's a crime for a Riley to love the bagpipes and be fascinated by kilts.   ;)

There's no crime in being an Argyll at heart..............even if your RILEY.  We know, secretly, you wanna be an Argyll but dont worry, your secret's safe with me

2332Piper said:
Well I be's a bagpiper. Used to play with the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa and I hung around the Sons of Scotland pipe band for a while.

Seeing as I'm dragging myself down to Guelph, Ont. to go to school on Her Majesty's tab, anyone know of any decent pipe bands 'round there? Keep in mind my mode of transportation is a city bus or my bicycle, I'm too poor to get a car and still haven't bothered to get my G2 license.

I think  your only option is the Guelph Pipe Band.........go to their website at guelphpipeband.org and check them out.

MP 811 said:
There's no crime in being an Argyll at heart..............even if your RILEY.  We know, secretly, you wanna be an Argyll but dont worry, your secret's safe with me

I know far too many Rileys who would pummel me senseless if I went Argyll.

Besides, everyone knows Rileys are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy more proffessional than Argylls.  ::) ;D

she must be kidding everyone knows  the Argyll's and Rhfc are the best unit in 31

Back