• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things Socks (merged)

I always went with foot, then sock, then boots.  Pants on before boots makes life easier too.  I'm here to help.

In garrison - issued thin black socks

In the field - "Running Room" dual layered socks. 

OldSoldier;

You only require under garments if you are NOT a closet Commando!!

Cheers,

tango22a

PMedMoe said:
...as I understand cotton may cause blisters...

Military myth as far as Im concerned - been wearing white sport cotton sock and then the appropriate color over top for over 25 years and the only time I had problems with blisters was due to new boots that I hadnt had time to break in properly...

My sock configuration?

All of mine have one end that is sewn shut, and one end that isn't.

Using the end that is open, I pull them on my feet.  Sometimes, I pull more socks over the first pair, using the exact same technique. 

;D

EITS - your comment brings to mind the Sgt asking me (as a young Pte) "what end of the broom I used to sweep the floor" to whick I relied " I usually use the big end Sarge> and he laughed his ass off thinking I occaisionally used the small end. 

As for the underwear/pants first issue....do Kilted pers go kilt or socks first....assuming they are going commando?

For myself, I wear the green ones. Prior to that it was the old grey wool type. ( making sure to have the same colored thread to keep certain CO's happy)

For both socks if we were doing a hump or BFT/2by10 I would include a pair of sport socks.  The only time I have had troubles is when I didnt.  everyones foot is differant though.

Mind you for my troops those that have had problems tend to have both black and green socks on thier feet.  Once I tell them to try a sport sock instead of the black one they never had another problem.  I am not saying the black ones do not work.  I just found they dont work for everyone.

Greymatters said:
Military myth as far as Im concerned

That's why I used the phrase "I understand".  I have never done it myself as I have had horrible blisters (usually on the botton of the feet) and was practically unable to walk.

See what I got when I used Google for cotton socks blisters.

Maybe your feet don't sweat much. maybe you're just lucky.  Who knows?

I agree cotton is the worst, even though I use it myself under the everyone is different policy.  I used to sell camping gear and footwear and if anyone had issues with synthetic socks I would suggest layered cotton under another wool type, and often (not always) got good results.  THe only times I dont have wool (the old grey ones) and cotton are in sandals - no socks, dress shoes - cotton under a dress sock, and running - cotton only.  Thats just me.  Even my mess kit boots are fit for cottun under a dress sock.

When wearing my sea boots I typically just wear a pair of thick cheap white Wal*Mart tube socks. At one point I wore the whole thin black and grey wool combo during an A/WUPs (The WUPS is for worksups. I forget what the A part is but it means it wasn't required by our operational schedule, the Captain just asked for it), as I had heard that sometimes doing otherwise can get you in trouble. After the first week went by without hearing about them checking what's in your boots, I went back to the usual.

//off topic

gcclarke said:
...A/WUPs (The WUPS is for worksups. I forget what the A part is but it means it wasn't required by our operational schedule, the Captain just asked for it...

A = Assisted.  And sometimes it's not just the CO asking for it.  I've seen Sea Training push for it if, for example, the ship continues to fail at non-scheduled exercises etc.

PMedMoe said:
See what I got when I used Google for cotton socks blisters.

Cant argue with that - maybe some people have tougher soles than others...?

Edit - Maybe not... that study is for one pair of socks, whereas I always wear a pair overtop of the cotton socks...

Greymatters said:
Maybe not... that study is for one pair of socks, whereas I always wear a pair overtop of the cotton socks...

Just about all the results state that cotton next to skin will cause blisters.  But, as I said, everyone is different.  I really liked my polypropylene socks but I can't seem to find another pair that fit.  :-[

I use cotton to fill out my boots and remove any of the stretch that has occured in my boots.  They are there to obsorbed the sweat and I will admit they can get wet quickly.  when I am going on a long hump in wet weather or long enough to get the sock soaked I just change socks.  But from my experience it takes a lot of moisture or time wearing it to get to that point.  In sneakers mind you they tend to get wet quicker and hence the blister problem. I have tried the cost more Civi variants and with some success but at heart I am a cheap bugger that selects what snib kit I use.

The black nylon socks as part of a layer system.  Well it does work for some but not my feet.  And I have enough evidence to convince me that it also causes enough issues with those who continue to get blister.  How many it prevents is up to those who have success with it to argue about. 

I liked my goretex more than my combats (Mark IVs), I just wear the black liners in them. In my combats my food used to slide around with the black liners, when I was marching people around me could hear "squeek" everytime my heel hit the ground, that was my heel sliding up and down the boot...

We weren't allowed to wear our goretex for some reason on our BFT, so I had to find a way of stopping my foot from sliding quick. I tried out the greens (no liners) and found my combats way more comfy, snug but comfy like a slipper, and had no foot problems for the 13km. I haven't switched back since.

ballz said:
I liked my goretex more than my combats (Mark IVs), I just wear the black liners in them. In my combats my food used to slide around with the black liners, when I was marching people around me could hear "squeek" everytime my heel hit the ground, that was my heel sliding up and down the boot...

We weren't allowed to wear our goretex for some reason on our BFT, so I had to find a way of stopping my foot from sliding quick. I tried out the greens (no liners) and found my combats way more comfy, snug but comfy like a slipper, and had no foot problems for the 13km. I haven't switched back since.

What the heck are you doing with food in your boots?

Back