• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things Socks (merged)

Wolfe117 said:
So I was just issued eight pairs of khaki desert socks for deployment to Afghanistan.  They say khaki on the tag, even though they are really more like a green.  Anyways I try them on when I get home and the damn things are freaking long as hell.  They go up mid theigh on me and they look more like a woman's nylons than army socks.  My question is why are they soo freaking long and what practical reason is there for this?  Also can any of you who've already been to the sandbox tell me what you would recommend for doing infantry work over there.  What kind of socksare the best over there?  Thanks

Sounds like those that I was issued when I went to Iran in '88.  Although we were in combat throughout that tour, we were issued those socks - which I THINK were meant to go with the "hot weather dress uniform" (kharki shorts and short sleeve shirt) worn in Cyprus at the time.  I could be wrong - I was never in Cyprus (except on leave).

Regardless their origin - if those you have been issued are the same as the ones I was issued, they are good next to the skin socks - they wick the moisture away from the foot fairly well.  They're meant to be worn midway up the calf, and folded over on themselves, forming a "cuff".

Seems to me I still have a pair or two hanging around (I don't wear them much).

Wolfe117 said:
My question is why are they soo freaking long and what practical reason is there for this? 

Two words; Sand Fleas... enjoy.  ;)

Wolfe117 said:
Also can any of you who've already been to the sandbox tell me what you would recommend for doing infantry work over there.  What kind of socksare the best over there?  Thanks

I used the issued 'stockings' and they worked well for me.... some guys wore white sports socks, some guys used the issued black stockings...  Go with what you find comfortable. But I'd suggest using the issued socks. They're made for a reason.
And like everyone else has said; just roll them down.

Fold them down like others have said and you won't have a problem. They are comfortable and do a pretty good job of wicking sweat away.

I found the desert socks wore out after about 3 months so I bought tube socks at the PX.

Their cheap and if they get ratty you can turf them. $3 US for a pack of 8...can't beat that.

Seems to me that a few of the guys were wearing another kind of sock that was popular, but a bit on the pricey side.

Wigwam....I think?

Speaking of ratty, your desert boots are going to get real funky.....Lysol to the rescue.      ;)

Regards

Wigwam's are the cat's meow.  I wore then exclusively over there and even on the hottest days they fared excellent in comparison the issued desert socks.  Issued ones wear out too fast and are too thin(I find) for any kind of comfort.  I would highly recommend Wigwam (the Merino/silk ones rock) if you are a soldier that will be spending most of your time outside the wire.  They last a whole lot longer than anything issued and are by far some of the most comfortable socks you'll buy.  Lots of stores have them and yes they may be pricey but if ya buy one pair a pay for a few months your collection adds up.

WRT issued things that wear out....

- they can be exchanged - if they are in stock and your RQ is doing his job right....

Problem with "gucci" kit is that, if it's stolen, lost or damaged, it's only going to be replaced on your nickle.
Let the Gov't spend your tax dollars on you :)

geo said:
WRT issued things that wear out....

- they can be exchanged - if they are in stock and your RQ is doing his job right....

Just to reinforce geo's point;  They're fairly well stocked over there when it comes to socks, undies and t-shirts (less on the T-shirts)... at least when I was there they were, and hopefully they're more so stocked now. 

AND;

geo said:
Problem with "gucci" kit is that, if it's stolen, lost or damaged, it's only going to be replaced on your nickle.
Let the Gov't spend your tax dollars on you :)

Remember too... If there's blood on it, yours or others, it is contaminated and will be destroyed.

The gucci gear is sometimes more cumfortable/usefull/better in everyway but usually comes at a high price, especially when lost, stolen or damaged.

BTW: besides being a form of shelter, and in reference to the topic at hand; what are Wigwams? 

Wigwam socks are about the best you can buy,the Outlast socks were all I wore over there.

MG34 said:
Wigwam socks are about the best you can buy,the Outlast socks were all I wore over there.

By chance, do you have a link to a supplier/maker? (if they're available online) 

Harder to find, but better...

Thorlo.

To answer teh original question...The issue desert socks are long to protect your lower legs to your knee. They were designed (now this should not suprise anyone...) and intially procured at a time when Cdn soldiers (read peacekeepers) wore shorts with thier uniforms. The top of the sock is folded down so that the top edge of cloth would be an inch or so below the knee. Worn this way protects against sand and insects while still being fairly cool.

If worn in our current situation with a unbloused pant leg...the sock still provides a bit more protection up the shin than shorter non-issued socks...esp if you are spraying on Permethrin on your lower pant leg to keep Sand Flys and other cooties out.

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
esp if you are spraying on Permethrin on your lower pant leg to keep Sand Flys and other cooties out.

Shouldn't have to be spraying Permethrin on, the uniform should already be treated.

PMedMoe said:
Shouldn't have to be spraying Permethrin on, the uniform should already be treated.

On prior rotos, the stuff was being sprayed on in theatre.  Believe new kit is being treated prior to issue... but, might it not be necessary to "reload" after 6 mths? ( NCE are in theatre for 9 mths )

I wore grey PT socks.  They were a little warmer but I found more comfortable & made the boot fit better.  I used the issue socks as boot covers to keep critters out while I slept.  They seemed to do well for that.

geo said:
new kit is being treated prior to issue...
Kit was treated by the soldier after issue & before deployment.

geo said:
On prior rotos, the stuff was being sprayed on in theatre.  Believe new kit is being treated prior to issue... but, might it not be necessary to "reload" after 6 mths? ( NCE are in theatre for 9 mths )

For long tours, we don't use the spray as it washes out after six launderings.  The permethrin dip treatment is "good" for six months.  Yes, people on longer tours should have their uniforms retreated.  That would be something to bring up with the PMeds on camp. 
I know they have loads of supplies because I had fun stacking it all on a pallet and then wrapping it with the world's largest tube of Saran wrap  ;) prior to the move from Kabul to KAF.  And then, at KAF, I got to sort out the seacan, which, at the time, was also my office!!  ::)

Wolfe117 said:
  They go up mid theigh on me and they look more like a woman's nylons than army socks. 

Three words, Man-Love-Thursday's. Just try to find an extra long tshirt and throw on a belt.

Seriously though, I tried to keep a couple pairs in reserve for towards the end of the tour. I stayed in KAF the whole time but had my feet in boots upwards of 14+ hours a day and the wore out quick. But the issues ones were a great 'weight' i.e thickness, and I just folded them down.

Did a search and couldn't find an answer to this question (believe it or not). I'm looking for a good set of cold weather socks, I use the Wigwam base camp fusion (or whatever they call them now) socks for summer, spring etc. I've heard they work well in winter as well, although I can't really wrap my head around the concept of a sock that functions well at +30 and -30. Anyways, does anyone have any recommendations (preferrably from a retailer then I can go to to check them out before I buy them, I'm in SW Ontario near the GTA)? 

The Beaver said:
Check out CP Gear. I think they have good cold weather socks.

I did, and I had their 'cold weather socks' (those wigwam 40 below socks) but I found they didn't pull up high enough to be worn comfortably with boots and kept slipping down and bunching up.

I don't  ;D

I much prefer the sports sock/old grey combat sock (or the ones you get off logistiks) system.

The "sport sock under the grey wooley" was all I ever wore - comfortable as hell. But I found the black / green sock system stopped my blisters. Haven't had one since!!

Back