• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things GPS (recommendations, tips, etc.) - merged

Where abouts do you have your GPS?

• In a pocket in the tacvest

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • On a pouch attached to the outside of the tacvest

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • On your wrist (wrist gps)

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Attached to your rifle

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • In or mounted on a vehicle

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Multiple positions or other

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Just carry a compass

Votes: 14 28.6%

• Total voters
I have it set to display 6 finger MGRS (can go up to 10) on the 2 datums CF maps use simultaneously.

I'm not sure if I follow what you mean. Does this mean you can be using 2 datums at once?

And the CF doesn't use 2 datums exclusively. The datum used is what is indicated on the map, and that depends on where you are using the GPS (different countries have different "conventions" and within N America there are many). Here is a list of all map datums (courtesy of Garmin): http://www.garmin.com/support/faqs/MapDatumList.pdf

And here is a FAQ which also includes 2 definitions of 'datum': http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/faq.shtml

A common error and a headache for users is when you work in an area that straddles 2 maps that use different datums. The GPS info and the map info won't coincide, and people automatically blame the GPS for being wrong. Well, the GPS is telling you where it is based on the datum that you input. It doesn't know what map sheet you are using, and yes you could have the similar (looking) map sheets with different datums (always check the marginal information, particularly on older maps). And, IIRC correctly, some maps will indicate 2 different datum types for the same map.

Of course, all these observations are based on my experiences (here in Canada, from one side of the country to the other, and overseas) and what little I have read/learned. I could very well be completely out to lunch, so please let me know if I have gone outside of my boundaries.

Al

If you buy a GPS unit in Canada your broadcast comms will be limited to 1watt or apx 3-5km's range.(CRTC regulations)
A Garmin Rhyno 5xx series for eg., if bought in the US, will transmit 5watt or out to apx.25km.
May be a factor to consider on your next cross border shopping trip.

I was reading up on the Rhyno's and noticed that the range seemed a little low for the Canadian version, and never clued in at the time (why that was). I was never really considering getting one, other than the Gucci factor  8), but I can definitely see the application for that bad-boy in the civvy world: hunting, tracking family/kids/cheating wifes movements. Did I say that out loud?

AFAIK, all the other GPS' on the market are "passive" in that they are simply receivers, not transmitters, so that isn't neccesarily a consideration. And, I don't know if the CRTC has black helicopters that would swoop down and sneak you off to Gitmo if you did happen to bring one of these more powerful Rhyno's into Canada, but I 'spose it could happen  :eek:

Al

Nothing beats a good helicopter ride!  ;D ...swoop away boys!
Actually people being able to find you with helicopters would be an asset in an emergency situation.
Never can tell when you will need the big YELLOW rescue helicopter.

Certain military units in Iraq right now do not use the Rhyno because it does transmit the location of the user - and the bad guys were found with one on their smouldering corpses!! :eek:

Could come in handy for ambushes and indirect fire...

Reference active vs passive, unless there's some technology for GPS I'm not familiar with, the transmitting portion has nothing to do with GPS, rather, it's only related to the walkie talkie portion, which transmits in the VHF band, on the FRS freqs (Same as the regular cheapie walkie talkies everyone picks up at the electronics stores). I'm guessing the transmission difference is just a difference between what the CRTC allows and what the American equivilent allows.

And reference what GO!!! said, it's not so much that they transmit the location, but they are a bad idea to use for comms in a tactical situation, as they're quite easy to direction find and intercept, the further they transmit, the more dangerous they are, as the further away the enemy force can intercept them... they're unencrypted, so anything you transmit can be heard by anyone with a $50 scanner from radio shack. If you mention anything about your location/cordinates, anyone within a 25 kilometer circle can hear it.

Cell phones are electronic warfare's buddy... anything you say on a cell, they can hear ;)

Slow down Mercury...as the topic title suggest, we are talking about civi GPS.

Hey Guys,

I would wait a little before buying Civie GPS Unit. Since Sept 05 The forces took possesion of a new GPS Unit. I had the chance to run some testing on it last summer. Excellent unit. They plan on buying 5000 units a year until 2010. It look like they will be part of soldier kit by very soon. The integration already started and will be expanded after Xmas. This new unit as all the options of the PLGR, plus much more. Map display is one of the long waited one. Much much much more user friendly and dummy proof. And fits in your Combat shirt pocket.

You guys should be carefull about using civie GPS in OPS, since they can be jammed. Also with the right equipment (a Transmitter and your approx location) somebody can display what he wants on your GPS unit. Transmitting a simulated location for you to read is very very easy to do. and anybody can buy the equipment required for that. So again, carefull. It is used every day in classroom environment to run simulation.

Don't spend money now, on a GPS unit. Just wait

I have a US-spec Garmin Rino 520, and I love it. Awesome mapping, tons of memory, never loses signal under reasonable circumstances, and the built-in FRS is nice too.

DG

As much as I am a techno and gadget geek, I would love to see the new PLGR. But, seeing as I have been around long enough, I seriously doubt that these will be issued to individual soldiers. As I am still wearing the old(er) OD green Goretex jacket, and have yet to see the temperate weather boots, I think it's a pipe dream to think that they will be handing these things out like they are candy. Issued to section commanders, vehicle commanders, etc, overseas, sure, but to say that everyone will have one: unlikely.

And even if they are issued, due to security concerns, I can't see them leaving the QM. And the reason most people want a GPS is to use when they are out and about, whether it is on exercise or on their quad, canoe, whatever. Civvie GPS' are so cheap now (and getting cheaper) they will be everywhere. Waiting for them to issue me one would be like waiting for a replacement for the old Marathon-lose-15-minutes-per-day watch.

And I would say that while your "spoofing" concerns on ops (with civvy style) are legitimate, the chances of that happening are pretty slim. Unless it is Uncle Sam doing it (very possible)..... The GPS is just a tool, and doesn't replace reading a map. It's like a watch: if I'm standing outside on a sunny day, at noon, in shorts and a t-shirt (think New Brunswick here) and my watch says 0234hrs, 1 Jan, I am going to disregard the watch. Same goes with GPS. If it's not used as a crutch, it can aid people in their map & compass (it's nice to know EXACTLY where you are, and not have to HOPE you are right, and that can help your knowledge and confidence with map-reading).

If you have any info on the new PLGR (DIN site), please pass it on: I am very keen on seeing it, and I am a semi-official SME on the PLGR at the Armour School, and would like to start boning up on it.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

AL

What's the scale of issue of compasses to an infantry section? 1 or 2 per section? Seems that an issue of 1 or 2 GPS per section would be a reasonable goal, but that's just a thought...

Just a Sig Op said:
What's the scale of issue of compasses to an infantry section? 1 or 2 per section? Seems that an issue of 1 or 2 GPS per section would be a reasonable goal, but that's just a thought...

One per man for the compass.

GPS can be anywhere from 2 per section to 1 per platoon, depending on availability.

Don't know if you're still looking for a GPS but here are some useful links...

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/  -  one specific forum on GPS units, a lot of the people posting there have experience with multiple units...
http://gpsinformation.net/                - reviews of many GPS units...

Mike.

Allan,

I have my GPS to display 2 grids at once.  Both of them are 6 finger grids, one is for Nad27 and the other for Nad83, the only two datums I've seen on DND maps so far.

J. Gayson said:
Allan,

I have my GPS to display 2 grids at once.   Both of them are 6 finger grids, one is for Nad27 and the other for Nad83, the only two datums I've seen on DND maps so far.

Finger? You've said that twice now!

The only six finger grids I've come accross hang around JDs in sweatpants wating for unsuspecting young troops.....

GO!!! said:
Finger? You've said that twice now!

The only six finger grids I've come accross hang around JDs in sweatpants wating for unsuspecting young troops.....
Eewwwwwe!

I'd be afraid of them using the Recall function to find your location later.    Ewwwwe!   Sleep at Grid XXXX YYYY.   Work at Grid XXXY YYYX.   Eat in Mess Hall Grid XXYY YYXX.   Drink at Mess Grid XYYY YXXX.   If they record that data, you are really "Screwed".   Eewwwwwe!

J. Gayson said:
Allan,

I have my GPS to display 2 grids at once.   Both of them are 6 finger grids, one is for Nad27 and the other for Nad83, the only two datums I've seen on DND maps so far.

J., what make/model do you have? That is definitely a good feature, for the reason mentioned (adjoining maps with different datums).

I do hope you realize it's six "figure" grid and not 6 "finger" grid, right?!?! Just checking....

Al

GO!!! said:
One per man for the compass.

GPS can be anywhere from 2 per section to 1 per platoon, depending on availability.

Realistically, given the cost of the rest of the kit on an individual troop, there's no reason they couldn't acquire enough for 1 per troop (Price break with quantity), admitedly, I'm not entirely sure if you'd *want* one per troop, despite the fact the new GPS is supposedly fairly small, still more weight to carry, but still, the option to have that many issued is always nice. Of course, it won't happen, but you never know.

Back