• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Charlottesville (merged)

FJAG said:
Bet you won't see this on Fox.

I bet I haven't seen it on any other news source, either.

That includes all of the Trump-is-evil "mainstream" ones and left-leaning private internet sources. I find it hard to imagine CNN, MSNBC etcetera suppressing something like this.

Edited to add:

http://www.newsplex.com/content/news/Manhunt-underway-for-suspect-charged-in-Aug-12-assault-441818303.html and http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/charlottesville-charges-3-more-in-white-supremacist-protest/ are the only other sources in which his name is mentioned at this time - neither are national. I searched by name.

A search under "Charlottesville shooting" turns up a few more articles, including Toronto Sun. I find it odd, still, that this is just coming out now with so many witnesses around.

https://gizmodo.com/new-video-shows-man-shooting-gun-near-crowd-of-counter-1798463559 has the video. People do not seem to be reacting much - no signs of scattering. Shock? Disbelief?

Second Edit:

A search under "Charlottesville shooting Fox" (just for fun) turned up nothing.

A search under "Charlottesville shooting CNN" also turned up nothing recent, but it did produce  http://edition.cnn.com/videos/us/2017/08/18/corey-long-protest-photo-charlottesville-sot-ctn.cnn/video/playlists/charlottesville-white-nationalist-rally/ from eight days ago.

This is an interview with the guy using a can of spray paint as an improvised flamethrower against a white supremacist who appears to be holding a flag (an oft-viewed photograph). He claims that that man shot at him, but makes no mention of the shooter seen in the other video.

I doubt that I would take the time to whip out a lighter and attempt to light spray paint were somebody shooting in my direction at close range. I might spray paint, or throw the can at him, at best, but lighting it, while spectacular, takes valuable seconds. And who marches in a rally with spray paint, and why?

And why did CNN not make a huge fuss about this?

Why did the mayor not make a huge fuss about this?

Why did the state governor not make a huge fuss about this?

That seems so out of character.

No denials or "false flag" claims, or brags, or anything, on alt-rightish Youtube sources yet, either.

I await the results of the full investigation into this particular incident.

It was on CTV News Channel's national news last night.

I'd say that's pretty main stream ... for Canada.  ;D

Why should the cops intervene anyway?  Chances are it turns out like a "domestic" call where as soon as they do something they get attacked by the other person.

If this friggen' kife means so much to each moronic "side", then maybe they'll do us a favour and die for what they believe in.

Loachman said:
I tried a quick Google-fu (via Google.ca) on ""Richard Wilson Preston" Charlottesville"* - screen capture of first page of my hits attached.

No listing yet under his name @ the Charlottesville courthouse page (you can try your own search here), and the Charlottesville police don't seem to show news releases online, but a Lynchburg, VA TV station carried a story about a Richard Wilson Preston being charged following the 12 Aug rally. 

Fredricksburg.com had this to say:
... Richard Wilson Preston, 52, was arrested Saturday and is currently in the custody of the Baltimore County Detention Center in Towson, Maryland. Charlottesville police said in a news release Saturday that Preston fired the gun in the 100 block of West Market Street, which is a corner of Emancipation Park, where the (12 Aug) rally was held ...
Loachman said:
And why did CNN not make a huge fuss about this?

Why did the mayor not make a huge fuss about this?

Why did the state governor not make a huge fuss about this?
VERY good questions ... If the charges were laid on the weekend, we MAY see coverage morphing from local/regional/backyard media to national during the week.

* - As mentioned in the Media Bias thread, though, your results may vary based on your browser, your device, where you're searching from, previous searches and what sites you've clicked on before.

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 146
milnews.ca said:
*[/sup] - As mentioned in the Media Bias thread, though, your results may vary based on your browser, your device, where you're searching from, previous searches and what sites you've clicked on before.

I don't use Google.

When I looked at your link, though, "Some results may have been removed under data protection law in Europe" appears at the bottom. I'm on a VPN, and currently "in" Finland (and mentally humming the Monty Python song of the same name).

I did my initial search around 0130. I'd expect to see at least a little more by the time that you posted. Still no anti-gun/anti-Trump CNN, though? They should be all over this. Perhaps they're still looking for Russians.

We have it now, the Trump connection to Charlottesville. Seems Richard Spencer and Evan McLaren were spotted at the Trump hotel in Washington. Will this be used to call for impeachment, again. Of course it will, Auntie Maxine will have some precious sound bites when she catches wind of this. I guess since they wrote their plans on a HP laptop that company shares the blame as well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4824870/Charlottesville-rally-planned-Trump-Hotel.html

Loachman said:
I don't use Google.

When I looked at your link, though, "Some results may have been removed under data protection law in Europe" appears at the bottom. I'm on a VPN, and currently "in" Finland (and mentally humming the Monty Python song of the same name).

I did my initial search around 0130. I'd expect to see at least a little more by the time that you posted. ...
Bang on re:  the yellow for sure - a few hours is a long time in internet news/info time.

Good info - thx for sharing.  What search engine(s) do you use?  I was searching via Firefox with an IP based in central Canada.  Also, I haven't tried a bing.ca or Duck Duck Go search yet.  Attached find my first hits via Bing.ca & DuckDuckGo.com on the same search terms.

Loachman said:
... Still no anti-gun/anti-Trump CNN, though? They should be all over this ...
Still a good point -- althouh it's Sunday, so they're likely still sleeping in.

Attachments

• BingResults.jpg
    BingResults.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 142
  • DuckDuckGoResults.jpg
    DuckDuckGoResults.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 104
Startpage, formerly Ixquick. I've been using that for many years.

If a few hours is a long time, what's eight days? That's how long CNN has had Spray Paint Man's "he shot at us" interview video up, and they didn't follow up at all. This is, if it actually happened, serious, and yet their natural instinct to jerk their collective knees, overreact, and twist everything gun/Trump-related out of all proportion is strangely dormant.

Perhaps they should post a couple of people back out of their Russian Collusion Division. Those guys must have looked under every bed in every Trump hotel by now. Probably several times each.

Loachman said:
Startpage, formerly Ixquick. I've been using that for many years.
Adding that to my tool bar search options - thx!

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Why should the cops intervene anyway?  Chances are it turns out like a "domestic" call where as soon as they do something they get attacked by the other person.

If this friggen' kife means so much to each moronic "side", then maybe they'll do us a favour and die for what they believe in.

I'd be happy to see both sides takes each other out. Sadly some of these morons bring their children to these protests.

Jarnhamar said:
I'd be happy to see both sides takes each other out.

Sometimes you have to challenge Nazis,

Republican Senator Orin Hatch on "The Battle of Charlottesville",
"My brother didn't die fighting Hitler for Nazis to go unchallenged here at home."
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&q=Orrin+Hatch+%22My+brother+didnt+die+fighting+Hitler%22&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjIivGKtfjVAhVK0oMKHX6FCdgQvwUIJSgA&biw=1280&bih=603

Problem is, "Anti-Fascist Protesters Fall Into Neo-Nazis’ Trap by Confronting Them"
http://www.newsweek.com/anti-fascist-protesters-neo-nazi-trap-confrontation-653475

Standing up to them in a way that denies them a chance for bloodshed seems to be the best policy.

"If the alt-right rallies, “organize a joyful protest” well away from them. Ask people they have targeted to speak. But “as hard as it may be to resist yelling at alt-right speakers, do not confront them.”

"The Nazis often held rallies right where their enemies lived, to provoke them."
An example of that was Skokie, Illinois in the 1970's. A predominately Jewish community with many Holocaust survivors still alive at the time.
https://www3.nd.edu/~undpress/covers/P00290.png

mariomike said:
Problem is, "Anti-Fascist Protesters Fall Into Neo-Nazis’ Trap by Confronting Them"
http://www.newsweek.com/anti-fascist-protesters-neo-nazi-trap-confrontation-653475

Those that bill themselves as "anti-fascists" - Antifa - are not "falling into a trap". They are usually the instigators of violence (for any excuse), generally far more violent (with the specific exceptions of the alleged Charlottesville shooting and vehicular homicide), use more potentially lethal/injurious/disgusting weapons (large stones, glass bottles, bike locks, small explosive devices, bags/balloons full of urine), and are very willing to damage and destroy public and private property. They also mask themselves, whereas their opponents usually do not.

To date, they have caused far more damage in far more places than white supremacists, who are much smaller in number, and have at least one death to their credit - by blocking an ambulance.

The vast majority of true protesters are non-violent. Had they been the only opposition to the white supremacists in Charlottesville, there would likely have been no violence, the white supremacists would have received little publicity and would probably have looked rightfully pathetic and idiotic.

This is why both sides need to be condemned, actively discouraged, and, where warranted, arrested on the spot and charged - every single one who commits a violent act against people and/or property. Police presence should be overwhelming and active during these clashes.

Best advice seems to be,

mariomike said:
"If the alt-right rallies, “organize a joyful protest” well away from them. Ask people they have targeted to speak. But “as hard as it may be to resist yelling at alt-right speakers, do not confront them.”

This is what I have read about Antifa, from the Newsweek article quoted,

"When Nazis and white supremacists rally, the antifa are likely to show up, too.
Antifa” is short for anti-fascists, though the name by no means includes everyone who opposes fascism.
The antifa says that because Nazism and white supremacy are violent, we must use any means necessary to stop them.
The antifa’s tactics often backfire, just like those of Germany’s communist opposition to Nazism did in the 1920s. Confrontations escalate. Public opinion often blames the left no matter the circumstances."

"This does not mean ignoring Nazis. It means standing up to them in a way that denies them a chance for bloodshed."

mariomike said:
Best advice seems to be,

This is what I have read about Antifa, from the Newsweek article quoted,

"When Nazis and white supremacists rally, the antifa are likely to show up, too.
Antifa” is short for anti-fascists, though the name by no means includes everyone who opposes fascism.
The antifa says that because Nazism and white supremacy are violent, we must use any means necessary to stop them.
The antifa’s tactics often backfire, just like those of Germany’s communist opposition to Nazism did in the 1920s. Confrontations escalate. Public opinion often blames the left no matter the circumstances."

"This does not mean ignoring Nazis. It means standing up to them in a way that denies them a chance for bloodshed."

I don't think they hold the moral high ground. Having a motto of "Any means necessary" is very dangerous, maybe even fascist. When you would assault somebody for simply wearing a Trump hat you can't claim you are the saviors of the people. It seems everybody is alt-right now, it's just convenient for your cause so you can bust more heads.

kkwd said:
I don't think they hold the moral high ground. Having a motto of "Any means necessary" is very dangerous, maybe even fascist. When you would assault somebody for simply wearing a Trump hat you can't claim you are the saviors of the people. It seems everybody is alt-right now, it's just convenient for your cause so you can bust more heads.

This is the advice I read,

mariomike said:
Standing up to them in a way that denies them a chance for bloodshed seems to be the best policy.

The last thing they need is another martyr,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horst_Wessel#Martyrdom

The founder of the American Nazi Party was assassinated, but by one of their own. So, he never got to be a martyr.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/410SLP5Lo%2BL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Is everyone who stands up to the alt-right an anti-fa? No.

Two weeks after neo-Nazis marched chanting ‘Sieg Heil,’ Charlottesville Jews try to heal
https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/08/26/two-weeks-after-neo-nazis-marched-chanting-sieg-heil-charlottesville-jews-try-to-heal.html

Congregation Beth Israel is the sole synagogue in Charlottesville and, although the sounds and sights of bigotry and hatred that stirred fear in worshippers as they prayed that day remain fresh, the community is now focused on moving forward.

The white supremacists and neo-Nazis who marched on the town Aug. 12 had chanted threats aimed directly at Jews: “Blood and Soil!” and “Jews will not replace us!” They held signs reading “the Goyim know,” a slur referring to non-Jewish people, and “the Jewish media is going down.”

Loachman said:
. . .

A search under "Charlottesville shooting CNN" also turned up nothing recent, but it did produce  http://edition.cnn.com/videos/us/2017/08/18/corey-long-protest-photo-charlottesville-sot-ctn.cnn/video/playlists/charlottesville-white-nationalist-rally/ from eight days ago.
. . .

CNN now has it here: http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/27/us/man-arrested-gun-charlottesville-rally/index.html

Still no sign on Fox as of now.

:cheers:

Better video. No discernable justification for firing. No sympathy for whatever sentence he gets, or for kissing his Second Amendment rights good-bye forever.

If the guys who marched at Charlottesville were looking for attention, they are certainly getting it.

The older guys might not care. Might even welcome it.

But, this is the story of a young man who is 20 years old, with his whole life ahead of him.
https://www.google.ca/search?biw=1280&bih=603&q=%22angry+torch+guy%22&oq=%22angry+torch+guy%22&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0.0.8458.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0.foo%2Cersl%3D1%2Cfett%3D1%2Cewh%3D0%2Cnso-enksa%3D0%2Cnso-enfk%3D1%2Cnso-usnt%3D1%2Cnso-qnt-npqp%3D0-1%2Cnso-qnt-npdq%3D0-45%2Cnso-qnt-npt%3D0-09%2Cnso-qnt-ndc%3D300%2Ccspa-dspm-nm-mnp%3D0-045%2Ccspa-dspm-nm-mxp%3D0-1125%2Cnso-unt-npqp%3D0-15%2Cnso-unt-npdq%3D0-25%2Cnso-unt-npt%3D0-06%2Cnso-unt-ndc%3D300%2Ccspa-uipm-nm-mnp%3D0-0075%2Ccspa-uipm-nm-mxp%3D0-0525...0...1..64.psy-ab..0.0.0.M5itiiLKlmk

I assume HR people these days Google the names of applicants?

I like the fake Twitter account https://twitter.com/angrytorchguy at one of those links.

Back