• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Navigators

Sorry for necroposting gentlemen, but I'd like to get someone who serves on an aurora to tell me what your typical patrol feels like (any aircrew trade will do).  I'm not looking for anything that would violate your security.  I just want to know what it's like.  Do you sit there for hours on end wishing for something lively to happen?  Are you thoroughly satisfied with your job?  What's the best thing about it (and the worst)?  What would make the job more fulfilling?  Are you thoroughly challenged? (this one is big for me.  I hate starting a job only to find out that everyone has long since "settled" for how things are done, instead of trying to improve them).

Muse me.

KingKikapu said:
what your typical patrol feels like

The trouble with answering this question is that we have a wide variety of missions and that domestic patrols are only one of them. Sounds like you dont know what we do. Dont worry, most people have no idea. Some flights are more prone do down time that others while some flights, you land and feel like you ran a marathon.

Do you sit there for hours on end wishing for something lively to happen?

Sometimes yes. Sometimes i'm so busy, i wish things would stop for just a few minutes. Again it depends on the mission for that day. One flight is rarely like the one before or the next.

Are you thoroughly satisfied with your job? 

You bet. Even though there are days ( like everyone) where i wonder why i get up in the morning, its a damned good way to make a living.

What's the best thing about it (and the worst)?

I get to do my job all over the globe, all the time.

What would make the job more fulfilling?

Things i will never have control over so i dont worry about it.

Are you thoroughly challenged?

Just like any other job, some days are better than others.

thanks CDN Aviator.  I had a rough idea of what's involved when it comes to types of missions and so forth, but I wanted to know how repetitious/mundane/stagnant the job got.  I think you assuaged my concerns very well.

Truth is I'm sort of torn these days about what to do with my future.  I have a well paying, important, and prominent role in my company.  I can go nowhere but up with them, and there are perks that no other company could possibly match (let alone the CF).  Even though my work greatly shapes the future direction of this company, every time I travel by plane over Johnstone and Georgia Strait headed to a site back East for work, I look out at the familiar sea and mountains that I've called home for most of my life and wonder if I'm missing my calling.  Maybe I'm being nostalgic, but every time I drive by 19 Wing I start to get doubts about whether my job is enough for me.  Will I be happy with a more traditional "desk job"?  Will I still want to do this in 10 years?  Then again, being an outsider to the air force I also ask myself would I be fulfilled working as an Aircrew member for 10 years knowing that I would be giving up something pretty promising?  See my dilemma?  That's why I'm asking for gut feeling checks.

KingKikapu said:
but every time I drive by 19 Wing I start to get doubts about whether my job is enough for me. 

Perhaps a drive by 14 Wing should be on your agenda, that would be a real gut check.  If you still have the urge to fly in the CF after that, then I would say go for it. 

Remember the grass isn't always greener.

Greenwood reminds me in some strange way to Masset. 

Most important question I would have about Greenwood is this: how's the mountain biking?

KingKikapu said:

Most important question I would have about Greenwood is this: how's the mountain biking?

slim to none...

Hey Guys,
So I'm down to 4th year of University and they are now asking me for posting preferences.  As an ACSO my main interests are UAVs or something on heavies like MP or Transport.  That being said, what are my 3 best options for attached postings before I go on course?  My worry is that if I get attached to an MH Squadron, once I'm done Basic Nav they are going to push me towards where I was before. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Scott

There's no way you would be pushed into a specific squadron because you worked there before. Greenwood, Shearwater, Esquimalt or Trenton are good places for attached postings to if you are interested in UAVs, MH or SAR. Winnipeg is another option, but you'll spend a lot of time here on the ACSO course anyway.

Elwood said:
There's no way you would be pushed into a specific squadron because you worked there before. Greenwood, Shearwater, Esquimalt or Trenton are good places for attached postings to if you are interested in UAVs, MH or SAR. Winnipeg is another option, but you'll spend a lot of time here on the ACSO course anyway.

If you want to work with UAVs in the next couple of years (ie. the NOCTUA project with the Heron UAV), you won't see any of them at a squadron.  405 Sqn in Greenwood has people in staff positions dedicated to UAVs, but that's about it; all operators (AVO and PO) are drawn from across the units and sent on courses with the intent of deploying to KAF quickly.

I, for one, would highly recommend Esquimalt (Victoria) for pre-BANC OJT.  But I may be a bit biased  ;D 

Definitely agree with the Winnipeg comment....you'll get to know the place (at least the West End and downtown/Osborne/Corydon area) quite well during BANC.

Harding don't worry too much about choices. There is a pretty damn good chance we will all end up in Winnipeg no matter what we put as our course will start probably in August or September. If it starts in August, you won't even do OJT as there are some courses you have to do before and use up all your leave. If it starts in September you'll probably still go to Winnipeg and work at a unit, but then again it will only be a couple of months in total.

Unless of course things changed dramatically since last year or since it will be the shorter course the dates have changed.

KingKikapu said:

Abundance of X-country riding, if you like Down Hill or Free Riding........About turn, quick march!

Is that the sort of technical cross country riding that makes you drool, or the flat, smooth, single track that you could take your grandmother on?

Please forgive my newbie question if this has been answered before on the forum.  I'm in the early phases of my DEO application, I've selected land-based trades since I'm mid-career, figure I'm likely too old to do aircrew.  But I've nothing to lose asking stupid questions; what, if any, age cap is there for AirNav or aircrew in general?

gszd55 said:
Please forgive my newbie question if this has been answered before on the forum.  I'm in the early phases of my DEO application, I've selected land-based trades since I'm mid-career, figure I'm likely too old to do aircrew.  But I've nothing to lose asking stupid questions; what, if any, age cap is there for AirNav or aircrew in general?

Age isn't a deciding factor; in my Nav course there was someone who was around 40. 

Hey Guys, so it's only only a couple months before graduation and my first real posting (where ever that may be...).  Still waiting on a message and a security clearance.  Any chance that I'm headed straight to Winnipeg right away?  I know I need my Level 2 Security clearance before I start training, could this cause a delay in my message?

same situation as you, no message yet. But there is a very very good chance that  we'll go straight to winterpeg as move navs. Did you fill out your posting preferences sheet? what did you put on it?

That makes me feel better... I put Greenwood, Comox, and Trenton down... What about yourself?

Back