• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Navigators

I know this is a bit off topic, but it seemed silly to start a new thread for one small question( and I tried the search already). I'm in second year university and I've just accepted my offer for ACSO (civi ROTP). I was timetabling my courses and I realized that I have a ton of open electives in my last two years. Any recommendations on what sorts of things might be useful? I thought maybe a computer course, but any suggestions would be appreciated!  :)

Thanks,

X

X2012 said:
I know this is a bit off topic, but it seemed silly to start a new thread for one small question( and I tried the search already). I'm in second year university and I've just accepted my offer for ACSO (civi ROTP). I was timetabling my courses and I realized that I have a ton of open electives in my last two years. Any recommendations on what sorts of things might be useful? I thought maybe a computer course, but any suggestions would be appreciated!  :)

Thanks,

X

Ultimately the CF will teach you everything you need to know but in my opinion some of these areas may be beneficial: (though in no respect mandatory to be successful)

Oceanography: If you have any interest in the MH or LPRA communities this can be helpful to have a better understanding of environment you will be working. Though probably not useful till the MH OTU or CP140 TACNAV course.

Software: Anything software related. This probably will not be useful during training or your first tour, but from an ACSO point of view,  new aircraft such as the CH148 and the AIMP CP140 are heavily software driven. Not sure what is your degree but if you could take an intro to software design or software management this could be beneficial during the end of your first tour or subsequent postings.

History or International Relations: Potentially applicable to all CF Officers and NCMs.

English: Basic writing skills, if you do not already have them, are applicable to all CF Officers and NCMS.

Just some thoughts.

You could also think about taking Theory/Science of Flight, it is usually a natural sciences course that some universities offer.
this course is a very good and very basic intro to some subject that are related to navs like Met, radio and VFR nav. Plus you'll learn a bit about planes which can't hurt.

I would also suggest a general Meteorology course too to prepare you for the Met courses in 1CFFTS.

Thanks for the advice. My university is small, so no met or aviation type courses, but I do have my PPL, so it won't be completely new to me. I tracked down an oceanography course, some history courses, a little political science that sound interesting (and good to know), and I already got English 100.
My major is chemistry, so I don't imagine a whole lot of my course work will be applicable!
Thanks again!

X

Hey Guys, so I finally got my first posting and the answer is... Greenwood.  I am also loaded on IA for November, SERE for February and Sea Survival in March.  Here's what I was hoping to get from you guys, what am I looking forward to? Where will i stay in Greenwood for a year? Single Quarters? Barracks? (Please remember all I have ever seen is the Mega).  My posting says "Prohibited Move", which I understand to mean I am taking only what fits in my car.  That being said, what kind of stuff should I take with me?  I have a really nice TV, but I see no reason to drag it out to Nova Scotia if where ever I'm staying has a TV already there.  Also, what kinds of jobs will they have me doing for the next year? Basically, what do I need to know as I leave my home in Ontario?

Thanks,
Scott

PS- I apologize if this belongs in another forum but  when I searched 'first posting' all I got were people saying "This is my first posting on Air-Force.ca"

You have course load messages for Nov '10 and for Feb/Mar '11? 

Greenwood...people seem to love it or hate it.  Not much of a night life, not too far from Halifax though (1.5 hour'ish drive).

I can't comment on the Officers Quarters there but you could probably find a place off base if you looked.  There are enough PMQs there that some of the single fellas get their own Q.  Prices are decent too.

CFHA Greenwood Information

I'll leave the rest for some Nav's/ACSOs that did Ditch Time  ;D but personally I don't mind the area.  Acadia University isn't far away (Wolfville) and there is ALWAYS Legends in Cold Brook to find the future Mrs Harding at too  :blotto:

Back