• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Force major charged in firearms bust in Kingston, Petawawa

This is how a few bad apples ruin it for everyone. I would have to assume that this individual has all the appropriate licenses and permits for the legal firearms he possessed.
More than likely, but depending on what comes out in court, those he appears to have been trying to bring in may not have been properly accounted for. As usual, presumed innocent until proven guilty via due process.
But it will be spun that gun owners can't be trusted to follow the rules, even those who hold trusted positions in the Armed Forces who should be better trained with their use.
Bingo - sadly :(

Big F! This is gonna reflect poorly on the CAF and The Trudeau Liberals will run with this for dear life. They are DOWN in the polls and this idiot major just gave the liberals a big win on the Gun ownership battle. F!

Could some of these have been legitimate Canadian purchased firearms that were taken to the US legally 5 years ago and then since deemed prohibited or unable to be brought back due to changes introduced by the Liberals?

Nothing in the pictures was outright prohibited prior to 2020 outside of perhaps magazines.
Perhaps but if that's the case he was stupid to bring restricted firearms OUTCAN with him, a few hunting rifles possibly not restricted stuff or AR's. I'm not even sure you can actually do that with AR's. More than likely frequented the many gun shows in Colorado and bought stuff. It's a grey area where you can pick up stuff without even showing ID. That's a lot of charges and potentially way more coming.

Big F! This is gonna reflect poorly on the CAF and The Trudeau Liberals will run with this for dear life. They are DOWN in the polls and this idiot major just gave the liberals a big win on the Gun ownership battle. F!
Trudeau doesn't need a win on the gun file. C-21 will pass, likely before Christmas. This will simply justify to the fence sitters why the Liberals have to crack down on legal owners.

He's not the first CAF member to be charged with smuggling firearms or other weapons. Nor will he be the last. People don't learn from the mistakes of others.

More than likely, but depending on what comes out in court, those he appears to have been trying to bring in may not have been properly accounted for. As usual, presumed innocent until proven guilty via due process.
Let's wait for the court case.

Devils advocate here.

Couldn't the Major in question have a possible out in that he was not in control of the property during the whole move.

I'm not a lawyer, but since the chain of possession is out of his control, it leads to enough reasonable doubt that he knew it was all there.

I personally can see this being plead down or even totally squashed depending on how much 'firepower' he hires.

Pun intended.

I'm not saying he's innocent. Just saying the threshold between reasonable doubt and found guilty can be pretty narrow.

So the lesson to be learned is before you ship weapons back here contact the CBSA to see if its even legal.

Devils advocate here.

Couldn't the Major in question have a possible out in that he was not in control of the property during the whole move.

I'm not a lawyer, but since the chain of possession is out of his control, it leads to enough reasonable doubt that he knew it was all there.

I personally can see this being plead down or even totally squashed depending on how much 'firepower' he hires.

Pun intended.

I'm not saying he's innocent. Just saying the threshold between reasonable doubt and found guilty can be pretty narrow.

Nope. A full inventory of items to be moved is done before the packing phase.

Maybe the driver/operator could be co-charged.

Devils advocate here.

Pun intended.

Probably depends what they found in the two residences when they executed the search warrants.

Probably depends what they found in the two residences when they executed the search warrants.
I expect a very deep dive into every possible place this person could have storage space.

Judging by his life history firearms are a long formed hobby.....

Devils advocate here.

Pun intended.

Many of these were seized from his home by police AFTER CBSA started investigating. And yes, they obtained a warrant.

Perhaps but if that's the case he was stupid to bring restricted firearms OUTCAN with him, a few hunting rifles possibly not restricted stuff or AR's. I'm not even sure you can actually do that with AR's. More than likely frequented the many gun shows in Colorado and bought stuff. It's a grey area where you can pick up stuff without even showing ID. That's a lot of charges and potentially way more coming.
You really need to stay in your lane.

Legally every firearms purchaser needs to show ID, and a 4473 processed to acquire a firearm at a gunshow in Colorado, and all transfers need to go through an FFL.

Not to say that some vendors don’t do that, but if they do, they are facing some felony charges.

If anything they can argue this is a win for our current gun laws. The items were illegal, and they got caught.

That being said 30 years ago none of this would have been illegal and I doubt any of these were intended for usage in a crime (other than the possession of them).

If anything they can argue this is a win for our current gun laws. The items were illegal, and they got caught.

That being said 30 years ago none of this would have been illegal and I doubt any of these were intended for usage in a crime (other than the possession of them).
Ah if you only had some sort of Property Rights enshrined in your constitution…

Back