• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

After Training, What Happens Next?

PrivateJM

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Proud Canadians!  I am 33 years old and very interested in Joing the Navy.  I am curious to know what is life like after training for your trade ie Hull Technician?  How much home time will you get?  Are you home everyday?  Is it possible to be a single parent and be in the Navy after training? 

I'm not in the Navy, but i do overfly ships every now and then.......

PrivateJM said:
  Are you home everyday?

You do have to sail, after all, it is the Navy. The Navy likes to send its ships away for months on occasion.

Is it possible to be a single parent and be in the Navy after training?

If you have someone to watch your kids when you are away for months, sure its possible.

Thanks for the quick answer CDN Aviator.  I read on the Forces website that your job is basically like a civilian job and work 40 hours a week, is this true for the most part?  Obviously being in the Military you are required to leave on months at a time but was wondering how often are they? 

PrivateJM said:
I read on the Forces website that your job is basically like a civilian job and work 40 hours a week, is this true for the most part?

In my experience, no, but as i said, i am not in the navy so i will leave that for someone else.

Obviously being in the Military you are required to leave on months at a time but was wondering how often are they?

Based on my observations alone, i would say fairly frequently. Again, a serving sailor will be abe to answer that one better.

After training, expect a posting to a ship for a few years. If you are on a ship that is in a high temp, you could expect to sail up to 150+ days a year. If you are posted to a low readiness ship, you will probably sail 50+ days a year. When you are alongside in your home port, you will work regular working days M-F plus do a 24 hour duty watch every 2 weeks or so.

Thanks Again!  Halifax area looks like it would be a gorgeous place to live with a high quality of life.  Being able to serve my country would just make my day and top it all off!  Although I am older now and as a result have more responsibilities, I would just like to make sure I can commit to all of my responsibilities as well.  I will speak to the recruiter on Tuesday and see if he/she can provide me with some more insight.  I just wanted to hear from someone who is in the Navy.  I like to hear things through the horses mouth if you know what I mean.  Cheers :)

Thank you for your answer Navalsnipr!  Those days you are on the ship 150 plus and 50 plus days are they together or broken up over the year?

PJM said:
Thank you for your answer Navalsnipr!  Those days you are on the ship 150 plus and 50 plus days are they together or broken up over the year?

It depends on what ship you are on and where she is in her Operational cycle. 

On average, except in the summer, you can expect to sail at least a few days every month.  These trips can vary from one to several days.  Sometimes you will sail on Monday and come home Friday.  Other times you will come home the following Friday (i.e. a two-week trip).  At least two or three times a year, you can expect to make a 59 day trip on an exercise or patrol (a whole hockey sock of benefits kick in at 60 days, so we tend to cut it short at that point).  At least one ship, from either the east or west coast, is usually away on a long deployment (usually about six months).

During the summer, the ship will likely take a "leave period" where it's alongside for at least six weeks in order to allow everybody on board to take at least three weeks leave (half the ship's company at a time).  They may also tack a short work period onto this so that some folks may be able to get more time off or they can least have a little more flexibility as to when they actually take their leave.

Can you be a single parent?  Yes, but you do have to plan for it and be organized.  I had a sailor working for me years ago who was a single mother with a young child.  She was on of the most organized people I've ever met and had very strong family support system (kid usually stayed with her brother's family).

Back