• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

After Facebook

a_majoor

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
I obviously use anti social media, but it drives me insane to see people logging onto Facebook at work; especially given the total lack of privacy and respect that the company shows its users, not to mention stupid OPSEC and PERSEC tricks. Even as Facebook is making its much hyped IPO ($100 million despite the lack of monetization on the platform?), people are starting to look beyond Facebook.

Here are some social media apps that might take social media to the next level (and don't worry, I'm not partaking on these either):

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/05/social-networking-apps/

7 Social Networking Apps for When Facebook Jumps the Shark

By Christina Bonnington
    Email Author
    May 21, 2012 |
    6:30 am |
    Categories: apps

You can't even escape Facebook on Google+. Photo: Ariel Zambelich/Wired

According to a recent poll by the Associated Press and CNBC, 46 percent of respondents think Facebook will “fade away as new things come along.” That’s an ominous data point for a company whose IPO dominated the news cycle last week, and claims some 900 million worldwide users.

Facebook seems to be infiltrating every facet of our lives. “Like” buttons appear on every website. “Like us on Facebook!” shouts at us during TV commercials. And more and more apps rely on Facebook to simply log in. It’s starting to feel more than a little oppressive — it’s like we’re living in a blue-and-white-painted jail cell.

And all this IPO madness is just foul icing on the cake.

So where do you turn when the world’s been stricken with Facebook fever? We rounded up seven apps that could satisfy your social networking needs should Facebook go down the tubes — or you just can’t take it anymore.

Google+

As Facebook fervor dies down, Google’s social networking attempt could rise up to the occasion, and — dare we say it — eventually take its place.

The popularity of Google+ is definitely on the rise. A number of commenters pointed out in our hands-on with Google’s redesigned iOS app that they are fervent users of the network, finding it a great source for quality content minus the “moronic posts” that litter Facebook feeds.

Speaking of the redesign, Google+’s updated iPhone app (see photo above) features an attractive, almost post-modern aesthetic and a much-improved user experience. The Android version is set to get a facelift in the near future, too. Google+ is one of the few social networks that has both a robust mobile and web experience, making it a strong contender for those tired of that other social network.

Viddy

For something a little different, how about a social network based entirely around sharing video? That’s Viddy.

You can take a video using the app’s camera, which has adjustable white balance, exposure, and focus settings. You can also grab a video already in your camera roll, and upload it to Viddy. From there, you can go hog-wild with Instagram-like creativity, adding one of a handful of different filters — Vintage, Black & White, and Crystal are default options, with more available as free in-app downloads. You can also add music, transitions, and other visual effects.

With one click you can share your videos to other platforms like Twitter or YouTube. Or you can just stay in the app and like, comment, and re-share others’ videos. The videos you can upload are bite-sized — 15 seconds max — so it’s easy and fun to hop from one video to the next.

Viddy launched in February this year, and now has 36 million monthly active users, or “Viddyographers.”

Path

The Path app is available for iPhone and Android. Photo: Ariel Zambelich/Wired

For an exclusively mobile social networking experience, Path could be your bag. It lets you share your life in the form of a “simple, private journal.” Because it has no web component, I find it’s much more of an “in the moment” kind of sharing than a platform for long status update tirades, or ubiquitous link-sharing.

The design is charming and intuitive, and is one of the main draws of the experience. Similar to Facebook, you get to set a background “cover” image for your profile, and choose a personal profile photo for yourself. Your postings as well as those of your friends (including status updates, photos, check-ins, and the music you’re currently listening to) are uploaded in a straightforward, reverse-chronological timeline, and you can react to posts with a heart, one of four different smiley faces, or with a comment.

It’s available on iOS and Android.

Pair

If it’s just you and your significant other who you care about constantly connecting with, you don’t need a massive social network like Google+, or even Path. Instead, you need Pair.

Oleg Kostour, Pair cofounder and CEO, told Wired the app offers a more personal way to talk to someone significant in your life — and it’s entirely private.

The app centers around a conversation between you and your loved one, but besides SMS-style messaging, you can share photos, drawings, and video, as well as location check-ins. You can also collaborate on art (for a simultaneous game of tic-tac-toe for instance), or use the app’s trademark feature, the thumb kiss: You and your partner place your thumbs on your respective smartphone screens at the same time, and when they’re pressed against identical spots onscreen for a couple of seconds, the screen bursts and you’ve virtually “kissed.”

Since the app is designed to be used between only two people, it’s a bit of a small, nontraditional social network, if it can really even be classified as such.

Instagram

Instagram is now available on both iOS and Android. Photo: Ariel Zambelich/Wired

Wait. Instagram is… part of Facebook now? F7U12.

Even so, Instagram is still our favorite way to share square-cropped photos colored by fun, often retro-inspired filters. The $1 billion photo-sharing community is rich and active, and most of all, incredibly addictive. Once you start using Instagram, you start seeing the world in a different way — as moments you’d like to capture and enhance with a filter effect to amplify a particular mood.

Because Instagram is more of a niche social network, it would never fully take the place of a larger network like that of Facebook or Google+. Nevertheless, it provides a fun, friendly way to see the world through smartphone lenses across the globe.

Instagram is now available on both iOS and Android.

EveryMe

EveryMe is both an amalgamation of your existing major social networks — Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram — and a complete departure.

The app is all about circles of contacts, each of which is private. There’s no option for public sharing at all in this app. Because of this, you shouldn’t have to worry about privacy settings being changed on a whim, or private posts suddenly appearing to all of the interwebs.

Once you’ve synced with your favorite existing networks, the app automatically creates circles of contacts (pulled from your smartphone contacts). You can edit these so-called “Magic Circles,” or create your own. If you have people you want to stay in touch with who don’t have a social media presence, that’s OK too. You can add them with an e-mail address or a phone number so they can stay in the loop.

You can then interact with people in those circles, posting status updates, check-in information, and photographs. Anything you update to one circle is exclusive to that circle — so you don’t have to worry about grandma and grandpa stumbling upon those photos of you doing a kegstand from last weekend, unless you know, you post them in the wrong circle.

Twitter

Wait, Facebook is, like, a “thing”? That’s funny, because at Gadget Lab, we gravitate to Twitter more often. We rely on it daily — hourly, really — for news alerts and socializing. Between the app, website, and the handful of very successful third-party clients, Twitter has solidified itself into an expedient, convenient social media mainstay that complements other more robust sharing services.

Sure, it’s more about news, and less about social networking, but it’s the one social network we’d be least inclined to ever give up.

Gotta crawl out of the duct work every once and a while...  :)

I'd love to see Facebook crash and burn - It's a bloated POS that allows stupidity to run rampant while worthy content is stifled. In saying that it's something that is going to be around for a long time; It has become the social network standard. I love virtually every feature of G+ but it suffers a grand failure... No one I know uses it. Everyone has become too comfortable with Facebook and it's nestled into the hearts of people that can't care to move on just like the Internet Explorer fanbase.

I'll cut my rambling short. That's my stance on all of this.

Reading this made me think of an article I read the other day. Basically outlines a lot of good reasons Facebook isn't going anywhere.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/17/tech/social-media/facebook-gallaga/index.html?hpt=hp_bn11

Though I hate Facebook, I still use it on a fairly regular basis simply because there is no better way to keep in contact with some people. I really don't need to hear from people on  day to day basis, or keep up with their every move and thought.. But its nice to get an email that someone has posted a message in one of the closed groups I am in on Facebook every so often.

My daughter complained about using Facebook for a similar reason, many of the people in school simply do not have email accounts and this is the only means of communication outside of texting. (oddly, no one seems to use the voice transmission functions on cell phones anymore). She is well aware of some of the pitfalls of Facebook, including internet stalkers, scam artists and the fact that Facebook simply has no respect for the rights of the user.

This isn't the only system with hidden (or not so hidden) threats to the user, Apple's Siri program isn't the benign digital assistant advertised either:

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/05/ibm-bans-siri/

IBM Outlaws Siri, Worried She Has Loose Lips
By Robert McMillanEmail Author May 22, 2012 |  7:01 pm |  Categories: Security, Software as a Service

Siri doesn't work on IBM's internal networks. (Image: Flickr/Photo Giddy)
If you work for IBM, you can bring your iPhone to work, but forget about using the phone’s voice-activated digital assistant. Siri isn’t welcome on Big Blue’s networks.

The reason? Siri ships everything you say to her to a big data center in Maiden, North Carolina. And the story of what really happens to all of your Siri-launched searches, e-mail messages and inappropriate jokes is a bit of a black box.

IBM CIO Jeanette Horan told MIT’s Technology Review this week that her company has banned Siri outright because, according to the magazine, “The company worries that the spoken queries might be stored somewhere.”

It turns out that Horan is right to worry. In fact, Apple’s iPhone Software License Agreement spells this out: “When you use Siri or Dictation, the things you say will be recorded and sent to Apple in order to convert what you say into text,” Apple says. Siri collects a bunch of other information — names of people from your address book and other unspecified user data, all to help Siri do a better job.

How long does Apple store all of this stuff, and who gets a look at it? Well, the company doesn’t actually say. Again, from the user agreement: “By using Siri or Dictation, you agree and consent to Apple’s and its subsidiaries’ and agents’ transmission, collection, maintenance, processing, and use of this information, including your voice input and User Data, to provide and improve Siri, Dictation, and other Apple products and services.”

Because some of the data that Siri collects can be very personal, the American Civil Liberties Union put out a warning about Siri just a couple of months ago.

Privacy was always a big concern for Siri’s developers, says Edward Wrenbeck, the lead developer of the original Siri iPhone app, which was eventually acquired by Apple. And for corporate users, there are even more potential pitfalls. “Just having it known that you’re at a certain customer’s location might be in violation of a non-disclosure agreement,” he says.

But he agrees that many of the issues raised by Apple’s Siri data handling are similar to those that other internet companies face. “I really don’t think it’s something to worry about,” he says. “People are already doing things on these mobile devices. Maybe Siri makes their life a little bit easier, but it’s not exactly opening up a new avenue that wasn’t there before.”

But other companies have been pressured by privacy groups over the way they store customer data. Google, for example, has come under fire in the past for the way it handles a massive database of user search data. But IBM doesn’t ban Google. An IBM spokesman declined to comment further on the Technology Review story, saying “we prefer to let the story stand on its own,” but there are a couple of important differences between Siri and Google that may have IBM worried: For one, Siri can be used to write e-mails or text messages. So, in theory, Apple could be storing confidential IBM messages. Apple couldn’t immediately be reached for comment Tuesday.

Another difference: After being dogged by privacy advocates, Google now anonymizes search results — making them difficult, if not impossible, to trace back to an individual user — after nine months.

Maybe if Apple agreed to do something like that, Siri would be welcome over in Armonk, New York.

This story has been updated to include a statement from IBM.

I use Facebook simply because it is the most convenient way to get ahold of people, period. Whatever I put up there, I assume everyone can see it, from the Government, to the Queen, to my mother. If one of those people would not approve, it doesn't go on Facebook.

Along with the privacy rights... something has always confused me. If you have nothing to hide, why do you care if people know everything about you? I'm not asking to be patronizing, I am asking because I have never heard a good explanation, other than "I don't like big brother looking at everything I do".

The Crowe said:
Gotta crawl out of the duct work every once and a while...  :)

I'd love to see Facebook crash and burn - It's a bloated POS that allows stupidity to run rampant while worthy content is stifled. In saying that it's something that is going to be around for a long time; It has become the social network standard. I love virtually every feature of G+ but it suffers a grand failure... No one I know uses it. Everyone has become too comfortable with Facebook and it's nestled into the hearts of people that can't care to move on just like the Internet Explorer fanbase.

I'll cut my rambling short. That's my stance on all of this.

I entirely concur. I recently went so far as to unfriend everyone on my fakebook. I just couldn't stand the minute drivel that folks post when they feel they don't have enough to write an email. In point of fact, I only maintain my facebook account for the sole reason of playing AfghanOPs.
Strange, but true.

Though, it must be said, that Google + is catching on. Slow, but sure. I particularly enjoy the video hangout option. Far better usability & audio/video quality than Skype.
:geek:

Thucydides said:
...oddly, no one seems to use the voice transmission functions on cell phones anymore....
...unless they're driving....or loudly when they're standing in a check-out line.

Journeyman said:
...unless they're driving....or loudly when they're standing in a check-out line.

You forgot in restaurants, right at the table next to you......  ::)

What I find amazing is that they will even text each other while they are in the same room. ::)

Dkeh said:
Along with the privacy rights... something has always confused me. If you have nothing to hide, why do you care if people know everything about you? I'm not asking to be patronizing, I am asking because I have never heard a good explanation, other than "I don't like big brother looking at everything I do".

You might change your mind at some point about what you posted. You might even think that deleting your posts will erase the offending item, only to discover Facebook put it back up on your page when they rolled out the timeline feature. There is nothing in the EULA to prevent them from doing this at any time, without any notice or warning to you.

More menacing, your information is out there where people can compile that information for such purposes as identity theft, or noxious marketing schemes (the actual reason for the IPO, incidentally; the only marketable asset Facebook has is detailed records of your behaviour to develop marketing profiles). Military members should also be aware that massive database files of Facebook postings can and do exist, and can be "mined" by search engine programs to develop PERSEC and OPSEC information by aggregating millions of snippets of information.

I am well aware of these issues, however it is not just Facebook. Everyone leads a life that has been digatalized theses days- felonies, tickets, address, phone numbers, relatives. Everything is right there at your fingertips, if you know where to look.

EULA's are another matter entirely. As a gamer, they outrage me. As a customer, they infuriate me. In the end, I buy it / use it anyways.

PERSEC and OPSEC are definitely valid points. It then comes down to the individual soldier to use their brain, judgement, and foresight when they post something. Perhaps we will see a case of a soldier eventually getting tried because of a breach of OPSEC, which will set a precedent, and remind people that they need to be careful what they post. On a personal side, I consider whatever I post to be eternal- would I be ashamed if my grandchildren saw everything I have ever posted, 60 years down the road?

Thucydides said:
More menacing, your information is out there where people can compile that information for such purposes as identity theft, or noxious marketing schemes (the actual reason for the IPO, incidentally; the only marketable asset Facebook has is detailed records of your behaviour to develop marketing profiles). Military members should also be aware that massive database files of Facebook postings can and do exist, and can be "mined" by search engine programs to develop PERSEC and OPSEC information by aggregating millions of snippets of information.

Although presumably the same would apply to postings on this site as well.  Maybe not in terms of marketing, but in terms of PERSEC and OPSEC, and the entire thing being subject to the Patriot Act - which, admittedly, I understand very little of.  Fortunately the founding philosophies of the folks running the sites are worlds apart. 

I use Facebook for keeping in touch with people, and with certain causes I care about - that's it.  I look forward to new social media sites ascending, but would be skeptical of any claims that they'll be different.  I'd like to see a non-profit site added to the mix, just for something different. 

Well the title of this thread may be precient indeed....

http://moneymorning.com/facebook-stock-is-worth-7-50-a-share-at-best/

Facebook Stock is Worth $7.50 a Share at Best

June 4, 2012

By Keith Fitz-Gerald, Chief Investment Strategist, Money Morning

Duh on you if you bought the Facebook IPO.

Double duh if you're thinking of buying Facebook stock now that it's fallen to $32 a share and lost $17.16 billion off its initial $104 billion valuation.

The company is only worth about $7.50 a share. And, no. That's not a typo. There is no missing zero or a placeholder.

That's reality. What is ludicrous is that Morgan Stanley and Facebook executives thought the company merited a $104 billion valuation at 100 times earnings.

As my good friend Barry Ritholtz pointed out recently, both Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) and Google (Nasdaq: GOOG) debuted at about 15 times earnings. Today they trade at 13.6 and 18.2 times earnings and 3.75 and 4.9 times sales respectively.

As I type, Facebook's market cap is $86.84 billion and its price to sales is ridiculously high at 21.01. I think that's way out of line.

So what should the numbers be?

Try this on for size. If we use Google's price to sales ratio of 4.9 (and I am being generous here for discussion purposes), that equals a total market cap of $20.24 billion or 76.68% lower than where it's trading today.

With 2.74 billion shares outstanding, that's equal to only $7.39-$7.50 per share.

No doubt I'll get the evil eye from the Facebook faithful and Morgan Stanley for saying this, but think about it.

Revenue is already slowing and the company does not and cannot possibly dominate the mobile markets that are becoming the preferred channel for millions of people.

Worse, startups are already cannibalizing Facebook's user base as concerns over privacy and who likes who mount.

Companies like General Motors (NYSE: GM) are deciding not to renew their advertising. This is going to hit Facebook to the tune of $10 million a year for the loss of GM alone.

More will undoubtedly head out the door for the same reason, since Facebook friends don't necessarily translate into revenue.

Corporate buyers are beginning to figure out that advertising on Facebook is simply not cost effective versus other media alternatives - gasp - including good old fashioned television and radio advertising, billboards and tradeshows.

Facebook Stock: At the Mercy of the Merely Curious
Many people think this isn't a big deal. They couldn't be more wrong.

Long article which explains the scale and scope of the information Facebook collects on users. Since Facebook has yet to monetize all this information for itself, the possibility exists they will simply bundle it and sell it to all comers. You, of course, have no say on how your information will be used....

http://www.technologyreview.com/featured-story/428150/what-facebook-knows/?a=f

Once again Facebook simply imposes its wants on their users. The attached article shows how you can undo the default setting and input your own email address back in:

http://business.financialpost.com/2012/06/25/facebook-changes-all-default-email-addresses-to-facebook-com-without-asking/

Facebook changes default email addresses to @facebook.com without asking
Kevin Smith, Business Insider  Jun 25, 2012 – 3:43 PM ET | Last Updated: Jun 25, 2012 4:18 PM ET

Facebook has changed users primary email addresses listed in their profiles from the ones they selected to @facebook.com emails.

Way back in 2010 Facebook relaunched its Messages feature to include @facebook.com email addresses for all users. The service never really took off as an email replacement, but it’s still there.

Today, Facebook has changed users primary email addresses listed in their profiles from the ones they selected to @facebook.com emails, as Gizmodo points out.

Here is how to turn off Facebook's creepy new find friends nearby feature

Luckily, it’s pretty easy to fix.

To change your email back do this:

Head to Account Settings by clicking the arrow in the top right hand corner.
You’ll see your Primary email address. Click Edit to change it.
Select the email you originally had or choose a new one.

Helpful - thanks, Thucydides.  As always, people use FB at their peril.  I'm busy devising/reviving other ways to keep in touch with far-away friends & family, in the event FB gets too obnoxious to handle.  It's almost there now. 

Well Facebook certainly has the potential to change the Internet; just not the way anyone expected:

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/427972/the-facebook-fallacy/

The Facebook Fallacy

For all its valuation, the social network is just another ad-supported site. Without an earth-changing idea, it will collapse and take down the Web.

Michael Wolff

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Brian Stauffer
Things Reviewed:

Facebook ads

Facebook not only is on course to go bust but will take the rest of the ad-supported Web with it.

Given its vast cash reserves and the glacial pace of business reckonings, this assertion will sound exaggerated. But that doesn't mean it isn't true.

At the heart of the Internet business is one of the great business fallacies of our time: that the Web, with all its targeting abilities, can be a more efficient, and hence more profitable, advertising medium than traditional media. Facebook, with its 900 million users, its valuation of around $60 billion (as of early June), and a business derived primarily from fairly traditional online advertising, is now at the heart of the heart of this fallacy.

The daily and stubborn reality for everybody building businesses on the strength of Web advertising is that the value of digital ads decreases every quarter, a consequence of their simultaneous ineffectiveness and efficiency. The nature of people's behavior on the Web and of how they interact with advertising, as well as the character of those ads themselves and their inability to command attention, has meant a marked decline in advertising's impact.
Advertisement

At the same time, network technology allows advertisers to more precisely locate and assemble audiences outside of branded channels. Instead of having to go to CNN for your audience, a generic CNN-like audience can be assembled outside CNN's walls and without the CNN-brand markup. This has resulted in the now famous and cruelly accurate formulation that $10 of offline advertising becomes $1 online.

I don't know anyone in the ad-­supported Web business who isn't engaged in a relentless, demoralizing, no-exit operation to realign costs with falling per-user revenues, or who isn't manically inflating traffic to compensate for ever-lower per-user value.

Facebook has convinced large numbers of otherwise intelligent people that the magic of the medium will reinvent advertising in a heretofore unimaginably profitable way, or that the company will create something new that isn't advertising, which will produce even more wonderful profits. But because its stock has been trading at about 40 times its expected earnings for the next year, these innovations will have to be something like alchemy to make the company worth its sticker price. For comparison, Google has been trading at a forward P/E ratio of around 11. (To gauge how much faith investors have that Google, Facebook, and other Web companies will extract value from their users, see Graphiti, on page 31.)

Facebook currently derives 82 percent of its revenue from advertising. Most of that is the desultory, ticky-tacky display advertising that litters the right side of people's Facebook profiles. Some is a kind of social marketing: a user chooses to "like" a product, which is supposed to further social relationships with companies. The social network sells its ads by valuing various combinations of the cost of a thousand ad impressions (or CPM) and the cost of a click (CPC). Both forms of ads are more or less coarsely targeted to users on the basis of information they've volunteered to provide to Facebook and the sharing or "liking" of media within Facebook's universe. General Motors recently announced it would no longer buy any kind of Facebook ad.

Facebook's answer to its critics is: Pay no attention to the carping. Sure, grunt-like advertising produces the overwhelming portion of our $4 billion in revenues, and yes, on a per-user basis, these revenues are in decline. But this stuff is really not what we have in mind. Just wait.

It's quite a juxtaposition of realities. On the one hand, Facebook is under the same relentless downward pressure as other Web-based media. The company's revenue amounts to a pitiful $5 per customer per year, which puts it ahead of the Huffington Post but somewhat behind the New York Times' digital business. (Here's the heartbreaking truth about the difference between new media and old: even in the New York Times' declining traditional business, a subscriber is still worth more than $1,000 a year.) Facebook's business grows only on the unsustainable basis that it can add new customers at a faster rate than the price of advertising declines. It is peddling as fast as it can. And the present scenario gets much worse as people increasingly interact with the social service on mobile devices, because on a small screen it is vastly harder to sell ads and monetize users.

On the other hand, Facebook is, everyone has come to agree, profoundly different from the Web. First of all, it exerts a new level of hegemonic control over users' experiences. And it has its vast scale: 900 million, soon a billion, eventually two billion people. (One of the problems with the logic of constant growth at this scale and speed is that eventually Facebook will run out of humans with computers or smart phones.) And then it is social. Facebook has, in some yet-to-be-defined way, redefined something. Relationships? Media? Communications? Communities? Something big, anyway.

The sweeping, basic, transformative, and simple way to connect buyer to seller and get out of the way eludes Facebook. It has to sell its audience like every humper on Madison Avenue.

The subtext—an overt subtext—of the popular account of Facebook is that the network has a proprietary claim to and special insight into social behavior. For enterprises and advertising agencies, it is therefore the bridge to new modes of human connection. Expressed so baldly, this account is hardly different from what was claimed for the companies most aggressively boosted during the dot-com boom. But there is, in fact, one company that created and harnessed a transformation in behavior and business: Google. Facebook could be, or in many people's eyes should be, something similar. Lost in such analysis is the failure to describe the application that will drive revenues.

Google is an incredibly efficient system for placing ads. In a disintermediated advertising market, the company has turned itself into the last and ultimate middleman. On its own site, it controls the space where a buyer searches for a thing and where a seller hawks that thing (AdWords, its keywords advertising network). Google is also the cheapest, most efficient way to place ads anywhere else on the Web (through the AdSense network). It's not a media company in any traditional sense; it's a facilitator. It can eliminate the whole laborious, numbing process of selling advertising space: if a marketer wants to place an ad (that is, if it is already convinced it must advertise), the company calls Mr. Google.

And that's Facebook's hope, too: it wants to be a facilitator, the inevitable conduit at the center of the world's commerce.

Facebook has the scale, the platform, and the brand to be the new Google. It lacks only the big idea. Right now, it doesn't actually know how to embed its usefulness into world commerce (or even, really, what its usefulness is).

But Google didn't have the big idea at its founding, either. The search engine borrowed the concept of AdWords from Yahoo's Overture network (a lawsuit for patent infringement and a settlement followed). Now Google has all the money in the world to buy or license the ideas that could make its platform and brand pay off.

What might Facebook's big idea look like? Well, it does have all this data. The company knows so much about so many people that its executives are sure the knowledge must have value (see this month's cover story, "What Facebook Knows," on page 42).

If you're inside the Facebook galaxy—a constellation that includes an ever-­expanding cloud of associated ventures—there is endless chatter about a near-utopian new medium for marketing. Round and round goes the conversation: "If we just ... if only ... when we will ..." If, for instance, frequent-flier programs and travel destinations actually knew when you were thinking about planning a trip ... If a marketer could identify the person who has the most influence on you ... If an advertiser could introduce you to someone who would relay the advertising message ... Get it? No ads, just friends! My God!

But so far the sweeping, basic, transformative, and simple way to connect buyer to seller and get out of the way eludes Facebook.

So the social network is left in the same position as all other media companies. Instead of being inevitable and unavoidable, it has to sell its audience like every humper on Madison Avenue.

But that's what Facebook is doing: selling individual ads. If you consider only its revenue, it's an ad-sales business, not a technology company. To meet expectations—the expectations that took it public at $100 billion—it has to sell at near hyperspeed.

The growth of its user base and its ever-swelling page views mean an almost infinite inventory to sell. But the expanding supply, together with equivocal demand, results in ever-lowering prices. The math is sickeningly inevitable. Absent that earthshaking idea, Facebook will look forward to slowing or declining growth in a tapped-out market, and ever-falling ad rates, both on the Web and (especially) in mobile applications. Facebook isn't Google; it's Yahoo or AOL.

Oh, yes ... in its Herculean efforts to maintain its overall growth, Facebook will force the rest of the ad-driven Web to lower its prices, too. The low-level panic the owners of every mass-traffic website feel about the ever-downward movement of their CPM is turning to dread. Last quarter, some big sites observed as much as a 25 percent decrease, following Facebook's own attempt to book more revenue.

You see where this is going. As Facebook gluts an already glutted market, the fallacy of the Web as a profitable ad medium will become hard to ignore. The crash will come. And Facebook—that putative transformer of worlds, which is, in reality, only an ad-driven site—will fall with everybody else.

Michael Wolff writes a column on media for the Guardian; is a contributing editor to Vanity Fair; founded Newser; and was, until October of last year, the editor of AdWeek.

Facebook invests in Asia Pacific Gateway underwater internet cable
Article link

Facebook invests in Asia Pacific Gateway underwater internet cable
5 July 2012

Facebook has invested in a 10,000km (6,214 mile) Asian undersea cable project. The Asia Pacific Gateway (APG) is designed to improve internet speeds for citizens and businesses in the region. The cable will run directly from Malaysia to South Korea and Japan, with links branching off to other countries. Facebook said the move would support efforts to boost membership in what was already one of its fastest growing markets.
"Our investment in this cable will help support our growth in South Asia, making it possible for us to provide a better user experience for a greater number of Facebook users in countries like India, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Hong Kong, and Singapore," a spokesman said. He declined to reveal how much money the firm was putting into scheme, saying only that a consortium of firms had invested $450m (£280m) in total.

Faster links
The project to construct and maintain APG is funded by a group that includes two large Chinese internet service providers, China Telecom and China Unicom. The fibre-optic cable will help the countries send and receive data to North America faster, according to consortium leader Time Dotcom. "This lowers our dependencies on Singapore as the main gateway for internet traffic," said its chief executive Saiful Husni. "We can now channel high volumes of this traffic on our network with the lowest latency [access time], directly to the US." Internet traffic can be slowed by the number of "hops" traffic has to make as it traverses different stretches of cables, and as it passes through different landing stations.

Eyeing Asia
The Wall Street Journal reported last month that Facebook's growth in the US had shown signs of "slowing sharply", putting further pressure on its share price. But the news was offset by a later Nielsen study suggesting the network was enjoying rapid growth in Asia. It indicated that the number of Japan-based visitors to the site using PCs had more than doubled during the year to May, totalling 17.2 million people that month. It also suggested the firm was enjoying rapid growth in South Korea, adding there was scope for even bigger gains. However, the Tech In Asia blog noted that Facebook's number of active users remains behind those of Mixi in Japan and Cyworld in South Korea - both domestic social networks that have the advantage of using locally based servers aiding download speeds. One telecoms analyst told the BBC Facebook should also benefit elsewhere. "India and the Philippines are both really heavy users of Facebook, and connectivity is patchy in and out of the countries," said Dean Bubley, from Disruptive Analysis. Facebook is not the first major US internet company to invest in internet infrastructure. Google announced in 2008 that it would invest in a $300m undersea cabling system called Unity between Asia and the US.

Looks like Nemo will soon have his own Facebook Page. ;D

In regards to the Facebook changing Email thing, they did it to me. Just figured it out after reading Thucydides article. Any one else receive the change?

Back