• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Africa in Crisis- The Merged Superthread

Blackadder 1916, I wish I shared your high opinion of the hard-nosed, intelligent approach the western political leadership has and will continue to take towards Africa. For the most part you are correct, but remember the abortive "bungle in the jungle." For those who don't recall it, it was to have been a Canadian led intervention in central Africa to ease the plight of the poor, starving civilians in the region. And it was literally conceived in the den of 24 Sussex Drive when the Chretiens were watching TV one afternoon and saw a clip of the crisis in that part of the continent.

It eventually collapsed in a jumble of bureaucracy after weeks of wheel spinning. Its legacy was, perhaps, the letter of the week in the Ottawa Citizen written in response to a picture of three Canadian generals in rumpled combat clothing. The late Colonel Strome Galloway (retired) wrote in the outrage that only a member of the senior regular infantry regiment could muster that the turnout and demeanour of the trio certainly did not inspire his confidence. In fact he opined that they looked like a detail of kitchen fatigues.

Blackadder1916 said:
While I "sort of" agree with ERC that we (as part of whatever alliance) "may" end up in Africa, I don't think it is a given in my lifetime, so Harper probably has little worry concerning this (he is not that much younger than me).

Like this thread which has lumped together all things Africa, the problems of the "Dark Continent" are just as broad.  There are so many problems, in so many places, that it melds into one giant 'white noise'.  Looking at those problems in their totality overwhelms one and sometimes you can't see the "trees for the forest".  Yes, there will probably be continued calls (well past my expiry date) from the well intentioned (but sometimes poorly informed) for significant western military action to solve some of those problems.  But the question that should then be posed (now and in the future) is "where do you begin".

Everyone has their pet projects or cause de jour which clouds their thinking, however most of the leadership of the western nations are reasonably intelligent and rational individuals.  I don't expect that dynamic to radically change in the near future regardless of the party in power.  My expectation that any "western led" (which would have to include an African element) military expedition would only have limited objectives and would be closely tied (whether publically stated or not) to some "legitimate" security (or more likely economic) agenda.  The west (read USA) has already had (is still in) its moment of altruistic military action.  Despite the exhortations of the well-meaning, my belief is that there are enough with common sense to delay any rushing in until the memory of recent military action fades.

I am not as confident that we can stay out for too long.

While I cannot see any "good" policy reason for anyone, except maybe China and/or India, to engage in prolonged military missions in Africa, I fear that Africa will, as I have said before, explode in our face – initially in a series of small, separate “bush fires” but increasing in number, frequency and duration until they account for an explosion.

I agree Africa is complex. It reminds me of a joke, of sorts, about China: one can say anything about China without getting it right. Another joke: one can say anything about China without getting it wrong. A third joke: the better one knows China the more reluctant one is to make any judgements or conclusions at all. Africa is a big place and it is much the same.

I suspect we begin wherever we get sucked in and I suspect our media – with its insatiable demand for something “exciting” to tell us 24/7 – will have much more to do with the where than will any sensible analysis of our interests, small though they might be.

And, see this, on “altruistic” military actions.

Old Sweat said:
Blackadder 1916, I wish I shared your high opinion of the hard-nosed, intelligent approach the western political leadership has and will continue to take towards Africa. For the most part you are correct, but remember the abortive "bungle in the jungle." For those who don't recall it, it was to have been a Canadian led intervention in central Africa to ease the plight of the poor, starving civilians in the region. And it was literally conceived in the den of 24 Sussex Drive when the Chretiens were watching TV one afternoon and saw a clip of the crisis in that part of the continent.

It eventually collapsed in a jumble of bureaucracy after weeks of wheel spinning. Its legacy was, perhaps, the letter of the week in the Ottawa Citizen written in response to a picture of three Canadian generals in rumpled combat clothing. The late Colonel Strome Galloway (retired) wrote in the outrage that only a member of the senior regular infantry regiment could muster that the turnout and demeanour of the trio certainly did not inspire his confidence. In fact he opined that they looked like a detail of kitchen fatigues.

And Stome Galloway was right!

His outrage was not feigned; it was expressed, vigorously and publicly, to several of the most senior serving officers. A very, very senior officer "challenged" him in the Officers' Mess. Strome tore a strip off him and then demanded that he come back with a few others so that there could be no misunderstanding of his (Galloway's) considered opinion on the CF's leadership.

My guess is that Gen. Baril's colleagues finally figured out that the only way to make Galloway go away was to let him have his say and I also suspect that the a few of the most senior officers were only too happy to see a little "humility" awarded to a few others!

Maybe this is the reason we'll go in.....Canadians held hostage!!!

Friends and family despair while Canadian government stays mum on kidnapping in Somalia
August 23, 2009 Ben Rayner Feature Writer
Article Link

As anniversaries go, it's a bleak one – and only Amanda Lindhout herself truly knows how bleak.

It was one year ago today that the Alberta-bred journalist and two colleagues were kidnapped at gunpoint in Somalia, plucked from a road near Mogadishu.

Since then, little has been seen or heard of the 28-year-old Sylvan Lake native, aside from a mute video of her and Australian reporter Nigel Brennan kneeling before their masked and armed captors aired on Al-Jazeera television weeks after they disappeared, and a few scattered, horrifying calls to media outlets by a distraught woman claiming to be Amanda Lindhout in recent months in which she essentially pleads with the Canadian government to save her life.

The last was made to Omni TV three weeks ago: "I don't want to die here and I'm afraid I'll die in captivity if I don't get help soon," she sobbed, saying she was kept in shackles in a windowless room and suffering from fever, dysentery and an abscessed tooth. "I don't know how much longer I can bear this."

Just days before, the Somali news site Waagacusub.com furthered long-circulating rumours of rape by reporting that Lindhout had given birth to a baby boy and was "very contented with her marriage relationship with one of her captors."

It has also been reported that Lindhout has escaped at least twice, only to be recaptured.

She and Brennan are being held for a ransom initially set at $2.5 million (U.S.), but reportedly reduced to several other sums since. One of the journalists captured with her, a Somali, was released in January.

Lindhout's father, John, and her mother, Lorinda Stewart, have been silent, likely for fear of upsetting fragile negotiations. But on Friday, they offered a statement with the Brennan family through Reporters Without Borders.

"Together, the two families continue to work tirelessly to secure Nigel's and Amanda's safe release," it read.

"With little outside support, the families, who have been united as one throughout this horrendous ordeal, continue to do everything and anything to gain the earliest possible release for their loved ones Amanda and Nigel. Our thoughts and all our love are with Amanda and Nigel today, just as they have been for the past 365 days, and just as they will be until they are safely home with us."

If the government has made any progress towards bringing Lindhout home, it's keeping mum.
More on link

The (late fall 1996) bungle in the jungle was more than just a “bungle.” It was a remarkable humiliation for Canada.

No matter what the origins of the “impulse,” the “act” was to send then LGen Maurice Baril on a two phase “mission:”

First – appreciate the situation in Eastern Zaire; and, then

Second (since the appreciation had already been fully situated by the Prime Minister, himself) – organize an international effort to remedy the problem.

I have no idea about the appreciation. Like Col (ret’d) Galloway I took one look at the pictures of briefcase wielding combat soldiers on recce, turned in my resignation and began second career my job hunt.

Canada’s clarion call for international cooperation and support was loud and clear; equally loud and clear was the deafening silence with which the whole world, led by the Americans and Europeans responded. The problem wasn’t just the mission. It was us, too. In fact, I am convinced that it, more than anything else, was the stimulus for Paul Martin’s foray in foreign policy, his quest for : A Role of Pride and Influence in the World. Martin recognized humiliation when he saw it. The world didn’t turn its back on Zaire because the situation was either too far gone insufficiently bad, it turned its back on Canada’s proposal – which included an explicit Canadian “claim” on leadership.  If Australia or Brazil or China had proposed such a mission it might have achieved some success – indeed just two and half years later Australia did propose, organize and lead such a mission in East Timor. The problem wasn’t in Congo, it was in Canada and the problem was that, circa 1996, no one trusted Canada to lead a two man piss-parade at a convoy halt.

We’ve come a long way since then. Chrétien made the necessary volte face, albeit reluctantly; he told the CF to “do the right things” even as he kept the budget too low. Paul Martin and Stephen Harper have done exactly the same: too much mission with too little political support.

One might opine that the example of this fiasco may have made noted by Rick Hillier who was then either a new BGen or a senior Colonel. Again, this is speculation on my part and I have no information that would lead me to draw a conclusion yay or nay. However, to plan (and mount) an operation of this type required that the CLS and his staff down tools and leap on their horses and go maddly riding off in all directions. Not only that, but the DCDS was also deeply involved, probably because he would have managed the mission from Ottawa on behalf of the CDS.

Those of us, myself included, who question the rationale for the dot.coms should ponder on this horrible example.

First, I'm no foreign policy expert. I'm a soldier.
I will say this...we have good intentions, but as we all know...

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Just two cents.

Some progress but, also, a warning about a setback in this report, reproduced under the fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from the CTV News website:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090915/somalia_us_090915/20090915?hub=World
Official says al Qaeda suspect killed in U.S. raid

Tue. Sep. 15 2009

The Associated Press

MOGADISHU -- One of Africa's most wanted al Qaeda suspects has been killed in a U.S. raid in southern Somalia, the deputy mayor for security affairs in Somalia's capital said Tuesday.

Citing intelligence reports, Abdi Fitah Shawey confirmed that Saleh Ali Saleh Nabhan was killed in Monday's attack in an insurgent-held town near Barawe, some 250 kilometres south of Mogadishu. U.S. military officials say American forces were involved in the raid.

"Our security intelligence reports confirm that Nabhan was killed," Shawey told The Associated Press. He did not elaborate on the intelligence reports.

Nabhan is a Kenyan wanted for questioning in connection with the car bombing of a beach resort in Kenya and the near simultaneous attempt to shoot down an Israeli airliner in 2002. Ten Kenyans and three Israelis were killed in the blast at the hotel. The missiles missed the airliner.

Two U.S. military officials said forces from the U.S. Joint Special Operations Command were involved. The officials gave no details about the raid or its target, and they spoke on condition of anonymity because the operation was secret.

Somali witnesses to Monday's raid say six helicopters buzzed the village before two of the aircraft opened fire on a vehicle. Witness Abdi Ahmed said soldiers in military fatigues then got out of the aircraft and left with the wounded men.

The commando-style action took place amid growing fears that al Qaeda is gaining a foothold in this lawless nation.

Many experts fear Somalia is becoming a haven for al Qaeda, a place for terrorists to train and gather strength -- much like Afghanistan in the 1990s. The UN-backed government, with support from African Union peacekeepers, holds only a few blocks of Mogadishu, the war-ravaged capital.

Last year, U.S. missiles killed reputed al Qaeda commander Aden Hashi Ayro -- marking the first major success after a string of U.S. military attacks in 2008.

Like much of Somalia, Barawe and its surrounding villages are controlled by the militant group al-Shabab, which the U.S. accuses of having ties to al Qaeda. Al-Shabab, which has foreign fighters in its ranks, seeks to overthrow the government and impose a strict form of Islam in Somalia.

One of the primary reasons we – the American led West – went to Afghanistan and one of “our” few successes, to date, was to kick al Qaeda out of its “base” there and to warn other failing states that they will pay a bitter price if they allow al Qaeda to set up bases there. Somalia appears to be the a new al Qaeda base.

There’s no political stomach in Canada or Europe for “going after” al Qaeda. The Americans are reluctant. But, the focus shifts towards Africa.

Same news as Mr. Campbell,
another article :

Somali fury at 'al-Qaeda killing'

Somali Islamists will avenge the raid in which a top al-Qaeda
suspect was reportedly killed in Somalia, an al-Shabab
commander has told the BBC.

See above link for full article

An update from the Central African Republic:

Peace dividends elude the Central African Republic - 20 Sep 09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2VBKmqTdNc&feature=sub
Commander Bertin Wafio of the Popular Army for Unity and Democracy in the Central African Republic has told Al Jazeera that his fighters will oppose the new unity government's plans for presidential elections next year.

That is unless more progress is made to disarm and reintegrate fighters following a peace deal agreed last year.

Al Jazeera's Andrew Simmons reports from Paoua in the Central African Republic.

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s Globe and Mail is another report on the chaos and violence that characterizes early 21st century Africa:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/report-targets-military-for-congo-unrest/article1321517/
Report targets military for Congo unrest
Coalition of 84 organizations finds 1,000 civilians killed and nearly one million displaced by Rwandan Hutu, with protection lacking

Carley Petesch

Johannesburg — Associated Press

Tuesday, Oct. 13, 2009 8:35AM EDT

More than 1,000 civilians have been killed and nearly 900,000 displaced in eastern Congo by Rwandan Hutu militiamen and Congolese forces since January, humanitarian groups said today.

The report released by a coalition of 84 organizations said that many of the killings were carried out by Rwandan Hutu militiamen. Congolese government soldiers also have targeted civilians, the report said. A Congolese military operation has been aimed at forcing out the Rwandan Hutu militiamen, many of whom sought refuge in neighbouring Congo after participating in Rwanda's 1994 genocide that killed more than 500,000 people.

But the groups said the military operation, which is backed by a United Nations peacekeeping force, is not doing enough to protect civilians in the region. “The human rights and humanitarian consequences of the current military operation are simply disastrous,” Marcel Stoessel of Oxfam said.

The UN peacekeeping mission in Congo, known as MONUC, has backed the Congolese army in eastern Congo since March following a joint Congolese and Rwandan operation against the Rwandan Hutu militiamen. UN officials have said they simply do not have enough boots on the ground to perform effectively in Congo, a country that is bigger than Western Europe but has only 500 kilometres of paved roads.

The 3,000 additional peacekeepers authorized by the UN Security Council in November, 2008 are only just arriving in the region, the report said.

“The UN needs to make it clear that if the Congolese government wants its continued military support, the army should remove abusive soldiers from command positions and its soldiers should stop attacking civilians,” said Anneke Van Woudenberg, senior researcher at Human Rights Watch.

The report said many of the killings have been carried out by the Rwandan Hutu militiamen “targeting civilians to punish them for their government's decision to launch military operations against the group.”

Congolese government soldiers also have targeted civilians through killings and widespread rape, looting, forced labour, and arbitrary arrests, the report said.

“Nearly 900,000 people have been forced to flee their homes and live in desperate conditions with host families, in forest areas, or in squalid displacement camps with limited access to food and medicine,” it said.

The report also said 7,000 women and girls have been raped and more than 6,000 homes have been burned down in the eastern provinces of North and South Kivu. The humanitarian groups also called for those wanted for genocide and other serious crimes to be brought to court, including militiamen living in Europe. The groups also said that those responsible for serious human rights abuses, including sexual violence, should be prosecuted regardless of rank.

The 84 groups in the coalition behind the report include ActionAid, Human Rights Watch, International Crisis Group and Oxfam.

This is an explicit call for Western intervention, through the UN.

I'm afraid I will have to strongly disagree here.

Africa is not "our problem", and neither Canada nor the West will act to intervene on the massive scale needed to make a serious dent in Africa's problems. The reason is no one sees Africa as being an existential threat to our nation, economy or way of life.

True, you can read Robert Kaplan and see the sorts of problems festering in the continent, but if "The Coming Anarchy" wasn't a sufficient call for action in 1994 (or the subsequent wave of civil wars, genocides, child soldier atrocities, disease outbreaks, famines etc.), then it is hard to say what will provoke intervention.

The only short to medium term activity that I can foresee is playing "whack a mole" against pirates and Islamic terrorists along the African east coast, and even then that is only an economy of force effort while we deal with the main theaters in the Middle East and Central Asia. Even if/when we clear out that nest of snakes, the main effort will probably follow the arc east into the Indian Ocean, the Phillipines and Indonesia, as that direction leads towards China and the Pacific Rim, areas "we" have staked out as being the center of global trade and economic activity in the 21rst century.

The only area where we "might" stumble into large scale conflict or engagement is where the Chinese are establishing beach heads to harvest resources in Africa, such as the Sudan. If our fight against the Islamic terrorists interferes with their extraction of resources, they will respond in ways we probably won't like.

The Chinese are on the horns of a dilemma: they need African resources and they want African friends, but they face a serious Islamist threat - domestically and on their frontiers. In many respects China is more seriously, more immediately threatened than is the USA.

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s Globe and Mail web site, is more about the ever increasing Islamist threat in Africa:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/we-dont-want-to-become-a-second-afghanistan/article1327381/
North Africa: ‘We don't want to become a second Afghanistan'
Why the al-Qaeda kidnappers of Canadian diplomats now have governments across the western Sahara on the run

Geoffrey York

Timbuktu, Mail

Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2009 3:20AM EDT

At first, he thought it was just the desert wind, whispering through the predawn darkness. But then the soldier heard the sound again, and he realized the sickening truth: His slumbering troops were surrounded by terrorists from the Sahara branch of al-Qaeda, and the ambush was about to begin.

It was a mismatch. The insurgents had night-vision goggles, bulletproof vests and rocket-propelled grenades. The soldiers carried amulets and Koranic verses for protection. They were also outnumbered 3 to 1. Two hours later, almost half of the 60 soldiers were dead, and the rest were fleeing for their lives.

The ambush, which took place on July 4, was another shocking victory for al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), the terrorist group that has swiftly spread its influence across North Africa, opening a new front in global terrorism and drawing U.S. military forces into yet another corner of the world.

After the disastrous defeat, Mali's President vowed a “total struggle” against the terrorists. But since then, his army has made no effort to pursue them, creating the impression that, despite its rhetoric, the government is afraid of tangling with al-Qaeda.

Senior government members admit that AQIM is better armed than they expected, and they say Mali will not pursue the terrorists until there is agreement on a joint operation among all the armies of the Sahara region – an agreement that has been discussed for months, yet is still delayed by disputes among Mali, Algeria, Mauritania and Niger.

Formed in 2006 when al-Qaeda struck a deal with an Algerian-based terrorist group, AQIM is fighting to expel Westerners and set up an Islamic theocracy. It has launched scores of attacks and suicide bombings in the four Saharan states, with more than 10 hits on Western targets in Algeria and Mauritania, including European tourists, a French embassy and an American aid worker.

In Canada, the terrorist group is most famous for kidnapping Canadian diplomats Robert Fowler and Louis Guay in Niger last December. But the two high-profile hostages – who were released in April – were not the only Canadian targets. Last year, AQIM car bombers in Algeria attacked a bus carrying employees of SNC-Lavalin Group Inc., the Montreal-based engineering firm, killing 12 and injuring dozens.

While Western targets remain vulnerable, AQIM's terrorist activity poses an even greater threat: that the Islamic extremists could overwhelm the weak states of the Sahara, where they already have entrenched bases, trafficking networks and government links.

“These people can go for months in the desert without encountering any authority,” said Adghaimar Ag Alhouseyni, commander of the Timbuktu detachment of Mali's National Guard. “They're like invisible people. They even have weapons that we don't know about – light weapons, but powerful. And they have night-vision equipment. They can see us and we can't see them.”

Mali is hoping that the United States or Algeria will provide helicopters or jets to pursue the terrorists. “The government doesn't have the resources to fight them alone,” said Assarid Ag Imbarcaouane, a vice-president of Mali's parliament. “They are well-armed and mobile. They move in small groups, but they're very numerous.”

The Pentagon has responded with the Trans-Sahara Counterterrorism Partnership, which, among other things, sent 300 U.S. military advisers to bases in Mali for three months this year. Locals in Timbuktu point to a house on the edge of town, surrounded by surveillance cameras, where the U.S. Green Berets were based while training Malian soldiers.

The U.S. presence failed to deter the terrorists. On June 10, they launched one of their most audacious assaults.

In a convoy of six pickup trucks, they slipped into the outskirts of Timbuktu, the fabled town on the edge of the Sahara. One vehicle drove to the family home of the local intelligence chief, Lieutenant-Colonel Lamana Ould Bou, who had arrested several AQIM members. With two gunmen positioned on the roof and at the gate, two others entered the house and shot the colonel. As they fled, one of the killers' turbans slipped off and the colonel's family saw his long beard, the trademark of the Islamic radicals.

The colonel's Arab tribesmen vowed to take revenge. Calling themselves the “Delta Force” in homage to Hollywood war films, they created a militia unit and formed an alliance with Mali's regular army, pledging to “cut off the beards” of the terrorists.

After several days of searching, the army and militia found a temporary AQIM base in a remote corner of the desert, about 700 kilometres north of Timbuktu. With nearly 300 men, they greatly outnumbered the rebels and after three hours of fighting on June 17, nearly one-third of the estimated 90 Islamists were dead.

The hunt continued for two weeks. About 200 kilometres north of Timbuktu, nomads reported suspicious truck movements, and the soldiers found a lone AQIM vehicle, which they attacked and then followed through the desert. Just before sunset on July 3, they spotted a terrorist camp in the distance.

But by now the army unit was smaller, with one unit having split off to search in a different direction. The AQIM cell, meanwhile, had obtained reinforcements from two other cells.

Despite months of training by the U.S. Special Forces advisers, Mali's army made a fundamental tactical blunder. Survivors say their commander ordered his fatigued men to rest for the night – within range of the AQIM encampment.

“I tried to tell him that it was a mistake, but he wouldn't listen,” says Mousa, a sergeant in a special Malian army unit that was set up to chase the terrorists.

By 4:15 a.m. on July 4, the extremists had crept to within 15 metres of the sleeping soldiers. That was when Mousa discovered them, and the firefight began. “They planned to cut our throats, one by one,” he says. “That's how close they were. Some of our soldiers were shot while they were still sleeping.”

The two highest-ranking soldiers in the unit, a colonel and a captain, were among the 29 soldiers and militia members who perished. The Islamists also captured three soldiers and seized three vehicles and many of their weapons.

Since then, the army and its allies have been on hold. “The government has told us to wait,” says one Arab militia member, a survivor of the July 4 battle. “I don't understand why. We don't just want to get rid of them – we want to kill them. They're bringing evil into this region. They killed some of our greatest leaders.”

He believes the AQIM units have gained strength in the past year from their kidnapping operations, which have produced millions in ransom payments. “You can tell from the weapons they buy and the money they pay to anyone who helps them with supplies or information.”

Analysts agree that the hostage-taking strategy has bolstered the terrorists. “AQIM's increased focus on kidnap-for-ransom operations … has allowed for the group's expansion, helping fund recruitment, training, propaganda and terrorist attacks,” Michael Leiter, director of the U.S. National Counterterrorism Centre, said in testimony to a Senate committee.

The Islamists seem to have mysterious connections to high-ranking informants in Mali's government. “They must have good sources,” says Mousa, the army sergeant. “Every time we go on a mission, they seem to know who is in our ranks, how many we are and where we are going.”

The conflict with AQIM is devastating the economy in northern Mali. In places such as Timbuktu, tourism has collapsed. Foreign aid workers are under orders to stay away from the north. The U.S. and France have pulled out hundreds of oil-exploration workers and humanitarian volunteers.

Yet Mali lacks the money and appetite for a protracted war in the desert. “The problems are the distance and the enormous cost of supplying the army at such a great distance,” says Soumeylou Boubeye Maiga, a former Malian defence minister.

Since the terrorists are targeting Westerners, many people in Mali perceive the AQIM issue as “other people's war” – a problem for the West, not the locals. “Mali doesn't want to be caught in the middle of a big war,” Mr. Maiga says. “The authorities don't feel that the threat justifies a big war. We don't want to become a second Afghanistan.”

While Mali shies away from conflict, AQIM is entrenching itself in the Sahara. “They're even marrying into the local communities and convincing young people of their ideology,” says Baba Ould Sheik, a politician in northern Mali who helped to negotiate the release of the Canadian hostages this year.

“If al-Qaeda is not tackled, the whole of the north could be controlled by al-Qaeda within the next five or 10 years.”

The tentacles of the Islamists choke Africa, from West to East and from North to South. African government and militaries are, by and large, useless. Africa is an important source of several strategic minerals and of oil.

Worth keeping in mind in line with other comments elsewhere suggesting (I think correctly) Africa will be drawing more of the West's (military and other) attention over time, from Sahel Blog.

1. Elections

I debated whether to organize this list by country or by theme, and ultimately went with the latter. But if I had organized it by country, I would have begun with Sudan, where elections in April 2010 represent a critical juncture for the country and for the 2005 Comprehensive Peace Agreement. Will the government crack down violently on opposition supporters, a trend foreshadowed by some tense demonstrations this fall? Will the elections restart the renewed civil war between North and South Sudan, or pave the way for a peaceful referendum on Southern independence in 2011?

Also, the elections in Sudan aren’t the only ones on the continent – Ethiopia, Rwanda, Tanzania, the Central African Republic and others will hold key elections in 2010, and Nigeria will prepare for presidential elections in 2011.

2. Chinese Influence

The conclusion of another Afro-Chinese summit in Egypt in November 2009, accompanied by major loan agreements, reaffirmed China’s substantial economic and political role in Africa. With African leaders like Rwanda’s President Paul Kagame and Ethiopia’s Prime Minister Meles Zenawi making strongly pro-Chinese statements last year, one can argue that China’s stock is rising on the continent despite political backlash in places like Namibia. In 2010 we’ll see which way the wind blows – will there be more trade and aid deals? more attacks on Chinese citizens and workers? more international pressure for China to stop dealing with countries like Guinea and Sudan? – but I’m betting that China’s power in Africa will, on the whole, increase this year.

3. Environmental Problems

2009 saw major droughts and devastating floods, along with high temperatures and widening desertification. 2010 will likely see more of the same, with resource conflicts straining national unity in places like Kenya and exacerbating intercommunal and international tensions across the continent. Some innovative solutions are circulating – like a “Great Green Wall…stretch[ing] from Senegal to Djibouti” – but the challenges are daunting.

4. Energy and Mineral Deals with Foreign Powers

China isn’t America’s only competitor in Africa. A high-profile tour in the summer of 2009 by Russian President Dmitri Medvedev to major African energy producers like Nigeria and Angola signaled the increasing interest of foreign actors in Africa’s fuels and minerals. South American powers like Brazil and Venezuela, and Asian powers like India, also want a piece of the action. Expect more deals in 2010, with repercussions for local African politics and US influence.

5. Kidnapping and Terrorism

We enter 2010 with a number of foreigners held in Africa, especially in the Sahel, including at least six Westerners kidnapped by AQIM. 2009 also saw major concern about rising kidnappings (of foreigners and locals) in Kenya and Nigeria. If the peace process in the Niger Delta region stays on track, we will hopefully see fewer kidnappings there in 2010, but expect the trend to continue elsewhere. Regarding the Sahel, an increase in terrorism (including kidnapping) could evoke strong military responses against AQIM by local governments.

6. Piracy

Piracy off the coast of Somalia made headlines throughout 2009, and pirate attacks have nearly tripled from 2008. Piracy in the Gulf of Guinea is also a trend to watch. If piracy increases in 2010, expect more debate about how to address the problem, with strong pressure placed on NATO, and increasing concern about pirates’ capacity to disrupt oil shipments.

7. Separatism, Intercommunal Violence and Rebellion

People in a number of African communities are demanding self-determination: South Sudan, Western Sahara, and Somaliland and Puntland for starters. Some separatists act primarily through political, rather than military, channels, but politics can quickly spill over into violence.

Meanwhile, violent rebellions continue in a number of countries. Uganda’s Lord’s Resistance Army remains a thorn in the side of its home country and a serious problem for Uganda’s neighbors, including South Sudan and the Democratic Republic of Congo. Rebellions in Chad and the Central African Republic may flare up again, and of course the conflict in Darfur is far from over. Civil war rages in Somalia. Rebels in Senegal’s Casamance region are again taking up arms. 2010 could see the resolution of some of these conflicts, but certainly not all.

8. Aid Debates

A fierce debate raged last year over the effectiveness of aid and the form it should take, with scholars like William Easterly, Jeffrey Sachs, Peter Singer, Chris Blattman, and others making important arguments. We can tie the aid debate to other debates about who can best solve Africans’ problems (see Mahmood Mamdani and John Prendergast’s debate about Darfur). These debates could potentially change the way the US (and other foreign actors) relate to Africa.

9. US Military Activity

From what I can tell, the Obama administration has budgeted slightly less for AFRICOM in 2010 than the funding AFRICOM received in 2009. That does not mean, however, that US military activity in Africa is winding down. Counterterrorism partnerships in the Sahel continue – the US recently conducted military training in Mali, for example – and the Obama administration may conduct more missile strikes in Somalia this year. The biggest story of all would be if AFRICOM moved their headquarters from Germany to, say, Liberia, but that appears unlikely to happen in the near-term.

10. Death of a Major African Leader

I have placed this one last because it concerns contingencies, but it could easily top the list if those contingencies occur. No one can foresee the future, but a real possibility exists that one of Africa’s aging leaders will die in 2010, leaving successors scrambling to attain power and stabilize their rule. The death of any leader would have major consequences – it was the death of Lansana Conte in Guinea that put the current military junta in power, for example – but the passage of either Robert Mugabe (turns 86 in February) or Hosni Mubarak (turns 82 in May) would have especially far-reaching effects ....

Articles found February 20, 2010

After four days, Canadian kidnapped in Kenya freed
CTV.ca News

Article Link

After four days, Canadian kidnapped in Kenya freed

"I can confirm that he's been released unharmed," DFAIT spokesperson Lisa Monette told CTV.ca on Saturday afternoon, adding that the man's captivity lasted for four days.

Monette also thanked Kenyan officials in helping secure the man's release.

Kenyan police say that two suspects linked to the kidnapping are now in custody.

The kidnapping reportedly occurred in the Kenyan capital of Nairobi on Wednesday, and a ransom was issued for his release, The Associated Press reported.

Monette could not say if a ransom was paid in the case, but she reiterated that the Canadian government's policy is to not pay kidnappers.

However, The Associated Press reported that the Canadian was rescued after Kenyan police shot three of his kidnappers.

Kenyan police official David Kerina said that undercover officers tricked the captors, who had demanded a ransom of more than $132,000.

The Canadian man reportedly works for an aid agency but he hasn't been named yet. Monette did not name the man, citing privacy concerns.

Kenya has seen a rash of kidnappings over the past year, with many victims being Kenyan nationals.

In most cases, the victims are released after a mobile phone money transfer is paid.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note this other "Africa in Crisis" superthread.

Anyways, the Darfur rebels have just signed a truce deal with Sudan's government:

Associated Press link

N'DJAMENA, Chad – Darfur's most powerful rebel group has initialed a truce with the Sudanese government, officials said Saturday, marking the rebel group's return to peace talks aimed at ending the Darfur conflict.
The truce between the rebel Justice and Equality Movement and the Sudanese government takes effect immediately, said Idriss Deby, Chad's president, in a statement.

Justice and Equality Movement spokesman Ahmed Hussein said the deal initialed Saturday was a framework agreement to guide future peace negotiations, including talks on a permanent cease-fire. He said it will be formally signed in Doha, Qatar, on Tuesday in the presence of Deby and the leaders of Sudan and Qatar.

The rebel group has been the most significant holdout in efforts to end the seven-year conflict in Darfur, in which 300,000 people have lost their lives to violence, disease and displacement.

The Justice and Equality Movement will take part in talks in Qatar which aim to reach a final agreement by March 15, Deby's statement said.

Hussein said Saturday's deal was important to the Darfur peace process.

"It's a significant step for peace in Darfur," said Hussein. "It is a considerable achievement for both parties."

In Sudan's capital, Khartoum, Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir announced he was pardoning members of the Justice and Equality Movement on death row who had been convicted for taking part in an attack close to Khartoum in May 2008.

Al-Bashir told a campaign rally he had ordered the immediate release of 30 percent of those he had pardoned. According to Sudanese law only the president can pardon someone on death row or commute his or her sentence.

The May 2008 attack on Khartoum's twin city, Omdurman, was the closest a Darfur rebel group had reached the capital. The government said more than 200 people were killed in the attack that shocked Sudan at the time.

Saturday's developments come as Sudan and Chad have been working for months to improve relations soured by the spillover from the Darfur conflict, with each country accusing the other of supporting the other's rebel groups.

Sudan has often accused Chad of supporting the Justice and Equality Movement, allowing the group to use eastern Chad as its rear base. Saturday's agreement is significant because it appears to have Chad's solid support.

JEM and the Sudan government held peace talks last year that eventually collapsed because the two sides couldn't agree on an exchange of prisoners.
Earlier this month, Deby visited Sudan for the first time in almost six years and discussed with Sudan's president efforts to set up a joint force to patrol their common border.

The U.N. has said 2.7 million were driven from their homes in Darfur in the fighting between ethnic African rebels and the government and Arab militias.

(This version CORRECTS spokesman's name in graf 7 to Hussein, sted Adam.)

A bit of good news:

http://nextbigfuture.com/2010/03/poverty-is-falling-fast-in-africa.html

Poverty is Falling Fast in Africa

African Poverty is Falling...Much Faster than You Think! (38 page pdf) by Maxim Pinkovskiy, MIT ; Xavier Sala‐i‐Martin, Columbia University (H/T Marginal Revolution)

The conventional wisdom that Africa is not reducing poverty is wrong. Using the methodology of Pinkovskiy and Sala‐i‐Martin (2009), we estimate income distributions, poverty rates, and inequality and welfare indices for African countries for the period 1970‐2006. We show that: (1) African poverty is falling and is falling rapidly. (2) If present trends continue, the poverty Millennium Development Goal of halving the proportion of people with incomes less than one dollar a day will be achieved on time. (3) The growth spurt that began in 1995 decreased African income inequality instead of increasing it. (4) African poverty reduction is remarkably general: it cannot be explained by a large country, or even by a single set of countries possessing some beneficial geographical or historical characteristic. All classes of countries, including those with disadvantageous geography and history, experience reductions in poverty. In particular, poverty fell for both landlocked as well as coastal countries; for mineral‐rich as well as mineral‐poor countries; for countries with favorable or with unfavorable agriculture; for countries regardless of colonial origin; and for countries with below‐ or above median slave exports per capita during the African slave trade

After three decades of zero or negative growth, Africa began a growth spurt around 1995 that has been sustained at least to 2006. The poverty rate in 1970 was 0.398. That is, close to 40% of the entire population lived with less than one dollar a day in Africa in 1970. After a small decline during the first half of the seventies, the rate jumped to around 0.42 in 1985 and stayed more or less at that level for a decade. In 1995 there is a dramatic change in trend: the poverty rate began a decline that led to a ten percentage point reduction by 2006.

Previous look at Africas economy

Examining global progress against poverty

These results contradict the 2008 Millennium Development Goals Report (UN, 2008), which asserts that “little progress was made in reducing extreme poverty in sub‐Saharan Africa.” Our estimates disagree: the African poverty rate in 2006 was 0.318, 30% lower than in 1995 (0.428) and 28% lower than in 1990 (0.421). That is, while progress in Africa has by no means been as extraordinary as that of East Asia, there has been a significant reduction in poverty and a substantial movement towards achieving the MDGs. The poverty rate in 1990 was 0.421. Hence, the MDG is for the poverty rate to be 0.210 by 2015. The rate in 2006 was 0.318, so even though substantial progress has been made, we still have ten basis points to go. But we also have 9 years left. We do not know what the future will look like, but if poverty continues to fall at the rates it fell between 1995 and 2006, we project that the $1/day poverty rate will be 0.228 in 2015. In fact, we project that the MDG will be achieved by 2017: just two years late.

The main point is that Africa has been moving in the right direction and, while progress has not been as substantial and spectacular as in Asia, poverty has been falling and it has been falling substantially. We should not let the literal interpretation of the MDGs turn good news (Africa is rapidly moving in the right direction) into bad news (Africa will not achieve the MDGs on time)

The overall Gini coefficient for Africa: starting at a level of around 0.63, the inequality index increased to around 0.66 during the 1970s and the first half of the 1980s. Then it stayed at that level until the early 1990s and started a downward trend that took it to its initial level by 2006. In other words, during the period of positive and sustained African growth (1995 to 2006), not only inequality did not explode as predicted by those who say that all the wealth went to a narrow elite, but it actually declined substantially.

Back