• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Africa in Crisis- The Merged Superthread

Jim Seggie said:
So when are we headed to South Sudan?

Will according to my son the U.S. and Canada are headed for the Congo now that they have pulled out of Iraq and we have pulled out of Afghanistan. Of course it makes sense as the U.S. wants to protect all their Gold and Diamond Mines there and Canada will naturally help them.  Did I mention he also believes the U.S. went after the wrong person when they went after Suddam Husien for terrorism?  sigh

AFRICOM's boss appears worried about greater co-operation between terrorist groups in Africa....
The general who leads U.S. Africa Command said Wednesday he is worried that three terrorist groups based on the continent are attempting to share training and to collaborate in other ways in pursuit of their goal of attacking the United States and other foreign targets.

Army Gen. Carter Ham told a group of reporters that each of the three — al-Qaida in the Islamic Magreb, Somalia-based al-Shabaab and Boko Haram — poses a “significant threat” not only in the areas in which they operate but also to the United States.

“Those three organizations have very explicitly and publicly voiced an intent to target Westerners and the U.S. specifically,” Ham said. “I have questions about their ability to do so; I have no question about their intent to do so, and that to me is very worrying.”

An even bigger concern, he said, is that the three are looking for ways to work together more closely. He said this is most apparent in efforts by al-Qaida in the Islamic Magreb, which is focused mainly on North Africa, and Boko Haram, a radical Muslim sect that wants strict Shariah law in Nigeria ....
Army Times, 14 Sept 11

Ooooh, I can just imagine what the headlines over at rabble.ca would look like here....
Somalia's Prime Minister Abdiweli Mohamed Ali during a stop in Toronto on Tuesday appealed to Canada for military trainers and financial aid to stabilize his country.

"We need these because security institutions are essential to law and order," he said in comments to the daily Globe and Mail.

"We also need logistical support -- communication, transportation, even providing salary in the short term -- so that once we have a bigger, broader tax base we will be able to provide salaries for our soldiers. We need a lot of financial help." ....
Agence France-Presse, 19 Sept 11

This from a Globe & Mail Q&A with the Somali PM:
.... You spoke of the need for more military and police trainers in Somalia, and suggested this is an area where Canada could specifically contribute. Aren’t there already such trainers in Somalia?

No, we don’t have those. Not inside Somalia. The European Union is providing some training for the Somali national army. They are training outside the country but we don’t have American, British or Canadian trainers. We need these because security institutions are essential to law and order. We also need logistical support – communication, transportation, even providing salary in the short term – so that once we have a bigger, broader tax base we will be able to provide salaries for our soldiers. We need a lot of financial help ....

Canada’s help could be critical in assisting the development of a “new roadmap” for the Darfur peace process, the head of the African Union-United Nations Mission in Darfur, Joint Special Representative Ibrahim Gambari, said in talks with senior Canadian Government officials during a three-day visit to Ottawa.

Canada has been a major backer of peacekeeping efforts in Darfur and in particular of the two-year peace process among the parties to the Darfur conflict in Doha, Qatar. In addition to leading UNAMID, the AU-UN peacekeeping mission, JSR Gambari is also the interim Chief Joint Mediator in the Darfur peace talks.

“Canada has played an important and substantial role in the development of a comprehensive peace in Darfur,” JSR Gambari told Margaret Biggs, president of the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) in a meeting Wednesday. “We now have a unique opportunity for a new beginning, an enduring peace and a way forward towards a better future for all Darfuris.” ....
UNAMID news release, 7 Oct 11

Interesting move.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/obama-sends-troops-to-africa-to-help-fight-guerrilla-group/2011/10/14/gIQA0o7LkL_story.html?hpid=z1

President Obama said Friday he is sending a small number of U.S. combat troops to central Africa to assist in a regional effort to neutralize the Lord’s Resistance Army, a guerrilla force originally from northern Uganda that has been accused of terrorizing civilians in several countries.

In a letter to congressional leaders, Obama announced the deployment of “approximately 100” combat-equipped personnel to act as “advisers to partner forces” that are targeting the leadership of the insurgent group.

Here is a link to the Wikipedia entry (with the usual caveat re accuracy) which includes the US troop deployment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord's_Resistance_Army

If there is one asshole in this world that needs killing, it's the leader of the LRA, the things he has done to childern and made them do to others is chilling.

I don't normally get involved on an emotional level with these things. However, It's about god damned time. Joseph Kony needs to die, that man lives to kill, maim and make war. do you guys think that a Canadian unit might get sent? I.e. CSOR or JTF-2?

BadgerTrapper said:
do you guys think that a Canadian unit might get sent? I.e. CSOR or JTF-2?

If they did, you'd never know about it, so speculating here is frivolous.

Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Somalia and now this

Say, is that Bush fellow still President? There seem to be "endless wars" going on under this administration....

Forgive my ignorance, but are guerrillas bad or good?

Maybe redefine the word.

GnyHwy said:
Forgive my ignorance, but are guerrillas bad or good?

Maybe redefine the word.

Furry ones Good. ;D

Ones carrying guns Bad! :(

(and yes I know they are spelled differently)

Kony proclaims himself the “spokesperson” of God.

Kony is on the Specially Designated Global Terrorists list

Josephn Kony and the Lord’s Resistance Army: a primer
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/obama-deploys-combat-forces-to-fight-lords-resistance-army-in-central-africa/2011/10/14/gIQAYB8KkL_blog.html

video at link (Warning there are graphic images in the movie.)

57Chevy said:
Kony is on the Specially Designated Global Terrorists list

[

Lets hope someone Specially Designates a Hellfire or 7.62 NATO into his specially designated a$$.

57Chevy said:
Specially Designated Global Terrorists list

Specially Designated Global Terrorist (SDGT) is a now discarded designation under US terrorism and terrorist funding sanctions regulations.

The designation has been superseded by the similar Specially Designated Nationals (SDN) list.

Specially Designated Nationals List
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specially_Designated_Nationals_(SDN)#Specially_Designated_Nationals_List

of which he is #11018 specially designated national a$$
Instant OFAC searches at link

Back