• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan Medals Process (merged)

Good clarification for the GCS and GMS, but still nothing on the SWASM (in terms of having to hand it in or anything or trading it for a GCS).

This would lead me to believe that they're not going to change/undo anything they've given out.

Whoops, already posted as pointed out to me older member.  ;)

If you go to the DH R website, the eligibility criteria is laid out.  I think what was confusing was the eligibility list for the SWASM, is the list for the medal only.  There is a separate list for the SWASM with Afghanistan bar.

Petamocto said:
Good clarification for the GCS and GMS, but still nothing on the SWASM (in terms of having to hand it in or anything or trading it for a GCS).

This would lead me to believe that they're not going to change/undo anything they've given out.

If you scroll down to the bottom of this link, you'll see that the SWASM with Afghanistan bar remains authorized for wear along with the addition of roto bars for those who had qualified for roto bars. That's the change to it -- the addition of roto bars.

Vern,

So you are stating that for the PPCLI BG from 2002 will not get the GCS but have an Afghan bar added to their SWASM?

And that the Kabul Roto 5 tour in Fall 05 will keep both the SWASM and GCS?

Petamocto said:
Vern,

So you are stating that for the PPCLI BG from 2002 will not get the GCS but have an Afghan bar added to their SWASM?

And that the Kabul Roto 5 tour in Fall 05 will keep both the SWASM and GCS?
    :deadhorse:

Yes to both repetitive questions.....notwithstanding it being "Walt" stating it, rather than "Vern" -- she merely read the CANFORGENs before posting.

"Walt" being MGen Walter Semianiw; not to be confused with Walter Mitty, mentioned several pages back.

Absolutely no respondant in the 11 pages (so far  ::) ) is siding with you on what you've referred to as "the CGS/SWASM fiasco." Since you continue to fail in convincing even one actual SWASM-wearer, let alone the other readers here, that there is remotely an issue.... perhaps you'd have more luck, and waste no more bandwidth, addressing your unsubstantiated concerns with the Chief of Military Personnel.

Who gives a toss?  If you don't have a SSM with Alert bar, or spent 4 years drinking beer and eating bratwurst in Germany, you're just a pale shade of a wannabe with inferiority issues, and a possible oedipal complex.

Journeyman said:
Since you continue to fail in convincing even one actual SWASM-wearer, let alone the other readers here, that there is remotely an issue...

Once again, you have demonstrated that you are a puppet who has easily pushable buttons.

What I wrote was not really meant for Vern.

I will continue to enjoy you bashing all of my posts in the future.

You really don't have a clue that you have become the clown of the boards with an "I" problem, do you? 

Oh well, thanks for the chuckles....  ::)

Petamocto said:
Once again, you have demonstrated that you are a puppet who has easily pushable buttons.

So you posted inflammatory material, on purpose to elicit a negative response? Admitting to being a troll are you? Thanks, and welcome to the warning system.

Petamocto said:
What I wrote was not really meant for Vern.
......and this just backs it up.

Petamocto said:
I will continue to enjoy you bashing all of my posts in the future.

So do we.

Petamocto said:
A gang of 5-6 people with Scott Taylor-like military experience act like a mafia to stifle any opinion that is not their own.

Yes, there can be groupthink here, like any other place.

I can be argumentative and stubborn.  But I do try to know my audience.  There is ample information on this board about people and their experience; your ad hominem notwithstanding, many of the folks attempting to discuss this issue here (discuss - present positions, consider the positions of others and come to agreement or an understanding of differences) have more underwear with more TI than you, more knowledge of the CF than you have accumulated in your career to date, and are of significant rank and position within the CF.

All this to say: try reading and understanding, instead of petulant pontificating and posturing.

Kat Stevens said:
Who gives a toss?  If you don't have a SSM with Alert bar, or spent 4 years drinking beer and eating bratwurst in Germany, you're just a pale shade of a wannabe with inferiority issues, and a possible oedipal complex.

Damn right skippy  8)

We now return you to your regular thread while Kat and I head back to the "home", it's jello night.

For those with DIN access, the following sites sum things up nicely:
SWASM
In short, awarded to those who meet the following criteria:
The South-West Asia Service Medal is awarded for a minimum of 90 days cumulative service in direct support of operations against terrorism in South West Asia from 11 September 2001 to 31 July 2009. Direct support occurs when a member is deployed to a unit or organization outside Canada but not into a specific theatre of operations, and where his or her primary duty is to provide direct assistance on a full-time basis to the operations against terrorism in South-West Asia.

The medal with AFGHANISTAN bar is awarded for 30 days cumulative service between 11 September 2001 and 31 Jul 2009 in the theatre of operations, which is a subset of the United States Central Command Area of Operation Responsibility (USCENTCOM AOR). The theatre of operations is defined as the land, sea, or air spaces of Afghanistan, Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, the Persian Gulf, Gulf of Oman, Arabian Sea, Gulf of Aden, Red Sea, Suez Canal and those parts of the Indian Ocean north of 5° South Latitude and west of 68° East Longitude.

Rotation Bars are awarded to recognize a further 180 days of eligible service following qualification for the Medal with AFGHANISTAN bar or the last Rotation Bar the person has earned. One bar bearing five maple leaves is worn in lieu of five bars bearing one maple leaf.

Note that those who received the SWASM without the AFGHANISTAN bar are not eligible for Rotation Bars

General Campaign Star - South West Asia
In short, awarded to those who meet the following criteria:
with the Canadian contribution to the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan for at least 30 days cumulative between 24 April 2003 and 31 July 2009, in the theatre of operations which consisted of the political boundaries and airspace of Afghanistan; and/or
in the theatre of operations consisting of the political boundaries of Afghanistan, the Persian Gulf, the Gulf of Oman, the Gulf of Aden, the Red Sea, the Suez Canal and those parts of the Indian Ocean and the Arabian Sea that are west of sixty-eight degrees East longitude and north of five degrees South latitude, as well as the airspace above those areas for at least 30 cumulative days commencing on August 1, 2009, provided that the service has not been recognized by another service medal.

So, up to and including 31 July 2009, there were two medals that service members could be awarded, depending on "stuff".
Those who serve from 01 Aug on, there is just the GCS-SWA.

dapaterson said:
Yes, there can be groupthink here, like any other place.

My opinion on some matters differs greatly at times from a lot of senior members here, and its true that many of those members have similiar opinions, but trying to insinuate that these senior members lack military experience is a bit much...

Greymatters said:
...but trying to insinuate that these senior members lack military experience is a bit much...

Was only referring to a few.  ;)

I know that some of the people steering this ship are incredibly qualified, experienced, and good people.

I apologize if my comment seemed like a broad brush aimed at all of them, as I am the first to admit that is not the case.

I'm really hoping not to open up a can of worms here, and I'm sorry if I do, but I can't make head nor tails of the Canforgens that have been posting as far as my situation.  I'm one of those 56-day roto people... I know, I know, but if you want to go on your hlta or home, you gotta put up with the herc techs.  ;D  Anyway, I've got 36 days in Kaf, and by the next tour, I'll have my 30+ days in the 'other place.'  This means that I'll qualify for both the GCS and the GSM, from what I've gotten out of the canforgens.  This has been the question from past 56 day roto guys.  You normally have to choose which one you wear.  Is that still going to be an option?  Or are they going to decide for us?  I know there was talk about ending up wearing both, because one is a 'theatre' medal and the other one is a 'support' medal, but I don't know what ever came down from that. 

If anyone can help me clear this up, it would be wonderful.  I'm sorry, but I'm new to all of this medal business, and I don't know about all this new business.  Thanks so much for any help provided.  :)

According to the CANFORGENs, as long as you don't qualify for both medals during the same 6 month period, you'll get issued and be able to wear both.  :2c:

392 said:
According to the CANFORGENs, as long as you don't qualify for both medals during the same 6 month period, you'll get issued and be able to wear both.  :2c:

Thanks so much, that's much clearer, hehe.  :nod:

Hello

A buddy of mine and I were blathering the other day about the new training role for us all in Afghan.  A question came up that I was unable to answer and I was hoping someone on here might know better and be able to shed some light on this for me.

Since this new mission will no longer be under Operation Athena and instead called Operation Attention, will they still be issuing GCS's for troops serving under it?  Or will there be something else?

Thanks

I wager no change. I seem to recall that the GCS-SWA is theatre specific now.

Taken from here:
The General Campaign Star (GCS) is awarded to members of the Canadian Forces and members of allied forces working with the Canadian Forces who deploy into a defined theatre of operations to take part in operations in the presence of an armed enemy.

The GCS is always issued with a ribbon specific to the theatre or type of service being recognized, and each ribbon has its own criteria.

The GCS with South-West Asia ribbon is awarded to Canadian Forces members and members of allied forces working with the Canadian Forces who served either:

with the Canadian contribution to the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan for at least 30 days cumulative between 24 April 2003 and 31 July 2009, in the theatre of operations which consisted of the political boundaries and airspace of Afghanistan; and/or
    in the theatre of operations consisting of the political boundaries of Afghanistan, the Persian Gulf, the Gulf of Oman, the Gulf of Aden, the Red Sea, the Suez Canal and those parts of the Indian Ocean and the Arabian Sea that are west of sixty-eight degrees East longitude and north of five degrees South latitude, as well as the airspace above those areas for at least 30 cumulative days commencing on August 1, 2009, provided that the service has not been recognized by another service medal.

Back