• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aerospace Control Officers-AEC [merged]

I just got an interview offer from the CFRC (AEC DEO), can some one tell me how to find out more about the AEC job background so I can be more prepare for my interview? Currently I just google the job title and read from random web pages.

I have just been merit listed for LCIS tech but when talking with the Captain about my application he suggested that I may want to consider AEC CEOTP. I served as a Fire Control Systems Land tech after high school and left to go to college after my initial contract. I have since had a number of technical and support jobs as well as completing a Computer Information Systems diploma. My CFAT score must have been really high due to the response I get from the people that have seen my file.

My question is; Is AEC closed for the year and I have to wait until April for new openings since that seems to be what I am told so far for almost all trades or is this just a temporary correction for the training cycle?

After reading all of the information here as well as the website,  browsing MANOP, and having the opportunity to chat with a Retired Major that was an AEC it seems that this would be a better career choice for me. Any advice would be helpful.

Did you end up going on course already prontogryphon? I received my ct around the same time, began ojt here in gagetown mid may, and my course date is september 7th.

Darkness, I haven't been on the site for awhile which is why I didn't see these posts until now.  I guess you're already on your course but I'm going to post anyway for others coming along.

The AC Op trade as a whole is 170.  This includes both the ATC and AD sides.  If you specialize as a PAR controller, you will change to a 169.

Take some time to read through your pre-study package before course.  Typically, you are given the first week to prepare for the test on this.  As for studying extra stuff outside of the package, there really isn't a need.  As long as you pay attention during class you will be fine.  On my course, we had a study session the night before each test and that really helped everyone.  Above all else, work as a team within the class.  If there is even one person struggling with a sim, go in with them at night or on the weekend.  It will help them and increase your knowledge too.  Good luck!

With AEC now a held occupation, is the system now full?

Since originally applying for the forces and then being asked to consider this trade I have become extremely interested and excited about the options to me. I guess that being born at a radar station and moving to mere miles from Geilenkirchen as a child and then as a teen touring CFS Kamloops regularly had given me exposure to the trade without realizing it.

I can only hope that once the hold is released and I am able to complete my interview that I will be a worthy candidate for employment.

Alloted positions for this year have been filled. Hopefully, more to come next year.

Timbit is partially correct in that external intake is closed (ie DEO, off the street type folks). However CFR and ROTP will continue to have intake allotments. It should be noted that AEC has all its availble training slots filled until 2012. Those awaiting training won't just be sitting around though. There are some new and creative things being done to get folks meaningfuly employed as soon as possible including qualification as a ground controller.

The occupation will achieve full health in the new year (first time in a decade or more) and the future employment for AECs looks very bright indeed.

Thanks for the update Aerospaced_out.

Sounds like I may have a bit of a wait on my hands for a trade that I was asked to consider and have almost completed the application process for. It certainly sounds like there are a lot of new and interesting things out there with the occupation and if all goes well will be partaking in them soon and am glad that the future has such promise.

The training backlog is primarily the result of the system not being adequately prepared for the generous nature of the recources being offered at CFSAO.

As I said in my PM, I waited 18 months for training some 20 years ago. Most pilots today would consider a only a year wait to be a luxury. All things are relative. In the past AEC didn't have backlogs but the occupation was on the brink of collapse from personnel shortages. Backlogs are a pain and it is being agressively worked on as I said earlier. Waits won't be as bad as they sound. Time flies if you insist on having fun and making yourself relevant.

I'm sort of in the same boat as OkanaganHeat right now. I'm doing a CT + OT from P Res Sig Op to Reg F AEC, did all my medical & interview earlier this year, but was told around Aug that the trade is full for transfers this year. Have to wait until next fiscal year (after 30 Mar 11  I think) to find out if they are taking any more transfers in.

Kinda sucks but what can you do? Like Aerospaced_out mentioned when the system is full & backlogged, I think all you can do is wait out.

Judy said:
Weapons is great!!!  So much better than the crappy ATC side.  ;D

When you go weapons, you definitely have to go to North Bay first.  I've never heard of anyone not doing their time in the Bay.  You have to do surveillance, then ID, and you could possibly do RADIL too, I think.  Then there's opportunity to move to weapons tech, which is a much more interesting and involved job.  You sit beside the controller and assist them during their missions with helping them get the information they need, coordinating with outside agencies (ATC, centres, etc.) and being a second pair of eyes on the scope. 

You could be posted to either Cold Lake or Bagotville to work in one of the tactical radar squadrons as a WASO (Weapons Assistant Sensor Operator... ?).  It's much more fun being in one of the deployable squadrons than in the Bay, in my opinion.

As for AWACS, I'm not exactly sure but I think you may be right - Sgt+.  Don't quote me on that. 

Check out this video:

http://dev.multimediaservices.ca/newmedia/controller/

It's for AEC, but you could still get a better idea of the differences between the three sides of the trade.  I wonder if there is an ACOp video like this one?

Any other questions feel free to ask.

The link to this video does not work anymore. Any other suggestions?

Hello! I would like to get some information on this position please....I would like to know how the training program looks...
From what i understand there is basic training and then a 2 month training program. What happens after that? I'm trying to figure out how long it would be until i was posted somewere. I have a dog and want to know how long i will be away from her. From reading it seems there is futher on the job training, but is that at your posting?

Thank you! :)

My uncle is an ACO. The training is INTENSE.....INTENSE!!! The 2 month training is followed by several other examinations and so on. I was speaking to a recruiter in Kitchener, Ont. I had asked about the ACO career option, and she said it was a very good line of work to get into, however the qualifying examination is one of the toughest to pass. She mentioned that in 3 years, she had only seen 3 people successfully pass the exam. Her suggestions where to purchase a Ait Traffic Control Practice course book on-line....and go from there.  As for the dog, plan on being away from her for a bit, and perhaps ask your parents/friends to take care of her/him while u are in training

Thanks! My mom will take my dog while im i trainig. Does your uncle or anyone you know, know if once complete the two months and the other exams if you get posted after that? I was figuring 6 months to a year until i was posted.

Thanks again!

Jaycan said:
She mentioned that in 3 years, she had only seen 3 people successfully pass the exam.

Now, i am not an AC Op and i dont know what their training is like but, over the last few years in the Air Force, i have personaly seen many fresh gradutes from the course. I did not bother to count but it was way more than 3 so i think that when you were told that, it was bit of an exageration.

jcan said:
My uncle is an ACO. The training is INTENSE.....INTENSE!!! The 2 month training is followed by several other examinations and so on. I was speaking to a recruiter in Kitchener, Ont. I had asked about the ACO career option, and she said it was a very good line of work to get into, however the qualifying examination is one of the toughest to pass. She mentioned that in 3 years, she had only seen 3 people successfully pass the exam. Her suggestions where to purchase a Ait Traffic Control Practice course book on-line....and go from there.  As for the dog, plan on being away from her for a bit, and perhaps ask your parents/friends to take care of her/him while u are in training

I have just come across this thread, and I see that you are muted and will not be able to respond to this post.  However, I wanted to post a rebuttal to your response to help others out when they search.

The NCM side of the trade is AC Op, the officer side is AEC.  Neither are called ACO.  There are portions of the AEC trade that can be very intense and require a lot of studying and training.  The only qualifying exam is your initial aptitude test.  It is the same test that everyone else writes.  Whether you are qualified for the trade will depend on your results on it.

The suggestion of purchasing a book on ATC is not recommended.  Only half of the AC Op QL3 course is dedicated to the air traffic side, and none of that is as a controller.  For AEC's, the trade is split into 3 choices:  VFR, IFR and Weapons.  Only 2 of those will involve ATC and what you need to learn, you will be taught on course and required to study as a pre-study package.

Little T:  I responded to another one of your posts in the "Air Force Support Trades" boards.  After you have read through the numerous posts on this trade and you have further questions, please post them in an appropriate thread within that sub-board.

Mods, could you please either lock this thread, move it to the AF support board, or join it with another thread there?  Thanks!

I have been reading this site for many hours and before I send my application in on monday. I am having a hard time choosing  a trade.

I read that if i choose the navy (Nav Comm)  I would only get 7 hours of sleep in a row and have to work 12 hours shifts (split up) (is this true?) Do you get weekends off in the navy? (don't laugh LOL) or do you work 5 days/6 days a week?

If I choose Aerospace Control, do they work 8 hours days and go home?  or what are the shifts/hours like? Also are there any postings in Western Canada or are all the postings in eastern canada?

I want to be able to do my job and go home at night, have a life. 40 hour work weeks? same pay?

It sounds like the navy is a whole other level of commitment and that I would not have any life outside of the boat LOL 60 hour workweeks same pay?

Thanks for some advice. 

WonderGirl said:
I have been reading this site for many hours and before I send my application in on monday. I am having a hard time choosing  a trade.

I read that if i choose the navy (Nav Comm)  I would only get 7 hours of sleep in a row and have to work 12 hours shifts (split up) (is this true?) Do you get weekends off in the navy? (don't laugh LOL) or do you work 5 days/6 days a week?

If I choose Aerospace Control, do they work 8 hours days and go home?  or what are the shifts/hours like? Also are there any postings in Western Canada or are all the postings in eastern canada?

I want to be able to do my job and go home at night, have a life. 40 hour work weeks? same pay?

It sounds like the navy is a whole other level of commitment and that I would not have any life outside of the boat LOL 60 hour workweeks same pay?

Thanks for some advice.

I was a NavComm for 15 years until my transfer to Aerospace Control Operator (AC Op).  And yes, they are completely different worlds.

In the navy, your work time will depend on whether the ship is alongside or sailing.  If you are alongside, then your typical days would be regular 8 hour work days, Mon to Fri with weekends off.  The only extra work time added to this would be when you are duty which is a 24 hour requirement to stay on the ship.  I say "typical" day, as this can be longer (ex. if you are preparing the ship for a sail etc) or shorter (absolutely nothing to do so do your nothing elsewhere).  When you are sailing, you will be on the ship 24/7 while at sea, and in a watch rotation.  You will get enough sleep (most days/nights), honestly.  Sailing times will vary greatly from ship to ship, coast to coast and day to day.  You could be out for a day, a month or 6 months.  To sum it up, not a whole lot of routine/schedule in the navy.  But, it is a great experience.  Just isn't for everyone.

As an AC Op, it would depend on where you are posted.  Most of the positions, you will begin as a shift worker.  These can be either 8 or 12 hour shifts, but they are only a few days/nights at a time and then a few days off.  Not guaranteed that those days off are on calendar weekends, but it is still time off and you are still sleeping in your own bed each day/night (yes, you will be working some nights).  It is much easier to get into a routine as you have a set schedule.  It is easier to get involved in community work, life at home, involvement with kids and school etc.

For both trades, you will make the same pay.  You can't really say an exact number of hours you would be working at either area, as that is based on sailing/shift schedules.  But they are both different worlds, good and bad to each.

If you search here on the site for both trades, there are numerous threads with more exact details on what each position entails.  That may help you make more of a decision if you are still on the fence.

Good luck!

Back