• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aerospace Control Officers-AEC [merged]

I’m approaching my University grad (Dec 09), and am a UTPNCM AEC.  I'm done IAP/BOTP, but didn't do SLT.  I suspect I will start AEC training in Jan 10.

I’m torn between VFR and Weapons. 

My questions are:

Is it possible for service couples to get OUTCAN postings together.  My wife is a RMS clerk and currently a Private just off her QL3. 

I ack its better to go to an operational base, but, can OJE/OJT/D/L be completed from Ottawa (finishing a year of IR in Dec in Ottawa, would prefer to not start another in Jan)? 

Is Trenton a realistic first posting for VFR?

Yes, it is possible for service couples with different backgrounds to get OUTCAN postings together. It's not easy, but it is doable and it has been done before.
Yes, OJE/OJT/D/L can be completed from Ottawa. The caveat being you'd likely get some direct exposure with TD to an airbase and North Bay if time permits. Adz AF Tng of your wishes when contacted, which given your grad date should be soon.
Yes, Trenton is a realistic first posting for VFR.

BTW, what did you mean when you said you'll likely start AEC tng in Jan? PM me your name and I can provide some detail perhaps.

Question:  what are the shifts like for aec?  i've heard things like, 4 days on 4 days off, 12 hr. shifts, etc.

could someone give me an idea of how the work day/week is organized?

thanks.

AECs cover off IFR, VFR, NORAD and AWACS not to mention mobile and tactical radar units. Asking what the typical shift is like really doesn't respect that reality. The real answer is that it depends... on what job, Wing, time of day or even year you are talking about.

huh, i didn't realize there would be that much variation.  if i wanted to get an idea given a specific wing, is there a way i could find out?

AEC is rather diverse. As to specific wings, I imagine you could call the unit directly. They'd likely ask who you are and why you want to know. Shift workers are rather sensitive about their shifts because no one cares when they work 7 and 1 but the minute their shift is 3 and 4 everyone is interested.

Yeah P.  Its me!  I e-mailed Aerospaced_out and he was extremely helpful.  You might want to make sure the ULO has your proper grad date.  They still had 2011 for me even though it changed twice...  I think yours changed too?

....according to MERX (emphasis mine):
The proposed contract is from 1 November 2009 to 31 March 2011; with Canada retaining two irrevocable options to extend the contract for an additional two (2) consecutive twelve (12) month periods ending 31 March 2013.

Estimated Cost of the Proposed Contract

The estimated value of the contract, including the option periods is $9,700,000.00.
(Including GST). Canada retains the right to negotiate with suppliers on any procurement.
Reference Number  182082
Solicitation Number DND-09/NAVCAN1

Hello Army.ca Forum Members:
1st time posting on here, but have been reading the boards for some time.
I am very close to submitting an application to the CF.  I am 30, and would like to do something meaningful with my life.  I am in the GTA and I wear glasses (nothing too strong).

I have a degree (arts), and am exploring all occupations (Officer and NCM).
With my arts degree, and with the current state of hiring, and certain trades closed to new applicants, there really aren't that many officer trades available for me, or ones that I"d be eligible for with my degree.

I've always been interested in aviation and flying and have also worked in aviation.  Since Pilot is closed, I was looking at was Aerospace Controller & Aerospace Control Operator (oddly both "in demand" occupations). I know the difference between Officer vs. NCM, but after looking at the descriptions for these 2 jobs, I still am unclear how the 2 differ??  Can someone with knowledge pls enlighten me?  I am seriously considering the Air Force, and would appreciate your feedback (and tips/advice, etc).

Thank you!

ps: Through searching around the forums, it was mentioned somewhere that Aerospace Controllers and Aerospace Control Operators required very high CFAT
scores.  Can someone pls confirm.  Thank you....

I'll confirm that AEC (and maybe AC OP) requires very high CFAT scores.

Might I recommend going over this link:

http://www.forces.ca/interactive/controller/splash.html

It should cover what you need to know about AEC/AC OP differences.

Hi AEC Kapp:
Thank you for the info.  That’s a great link.  Can’t believe I didn’t come across it before somehow.

Thank you again.

Hello!
Another question(s) for you fine Aerospace Control people (Officers and NCM's),

1) How much of a Math and/or Physics guru do you need to be in order to do Aerospace Officer or AC Op work?? Math is not my forte.  I can learn it and do it with practice, but I"m not one of those people where it comes "naturally" to them.  I can learn the stuff but I'm worried about all these "mental calculations" that are required for several CF trades (from what I hear).  I am one of those people that needs to use a pen and paper.  I know...pretty sad.  :crybaby:  Would appreciate any advice/tips/viewpoints into this pretty esoteric trade that has caught my interest.  Curious to hear from what you guys and gals have to say. 

2) How do you find all the indoor work in a window-less environment?
Not too many jobs I can think of where that is the case.

3) Also wondering why is Aerospace control an "in demand" trade according to the CF website?  Do you have a lot of people retiring or close to retirement?  Funny how some trades are "in demand", while others are closed (i.e. Infantry, Pilot, etc).

Thanks in advance!!!  :salute:

srhodes said:
3) Also wondering why is Aerospace control an "in demand" trade according to the CF website?  Do you have a lot of people retiring or close to retirement?  Funny how some trades are "in demand", while others are closed (i.e. Infantry, Pilot, etc).

Did you see the AEC Numbers thread?  I would guess that the numbers haven't changed much since that count was done.

[quote author=srhodes]
[/quote]

As an employer, the CF projects their need for additional personnel. Yes, more pers are releasing and  retiring. Some trades have been underborne for a number of years and are seriously short. If you read the related threads (ie: Infantry, Pilot, ect) you will note the trades that are closed are due to the CF having already recruited enough pers for those trades for this fiscal year.

HI Take2,
That thread was from 2008.  Since we are almost at 2010, and that with the military things can change overnight, I thought the numbers might be updated/changed.

HI Kratz,
True. As a large organization the CF must do human resources projections, etc.  But some things just don’t make sense to me.  For example, the recruiter I spoke to very recently (the other day) told me that the CF hasn’t hired DEO pilots in 2 years and they don’t expect to hire DEO pilots for another 2 years.  I don’t know, that seemed kinda ridiculous to me.  4 years and not 1 DEO pilot spot available!! I could have sworn that a few years ago I saw on CBC that there was a military pilot shortage and they (the CF) had ads out and everything.  I just don’t understand how it switches from feast to serious famine in a relatively short time frame??  ???  Also, I was shocked to hear that Infantry was closed.  That was one trade (i.e. the backbone of any army) that I never imagined would stop accepting applications!!

Any info on my other questions would be much appreciated!! ;)

Thanks…..

Keep in mind, the CF has also invested time and training into pers who remuster into trades (ie: pilot). I know one navigator who has been accepted into pilot and must wait 18months for his first pilot course. Until then, he is in a holding pattern, no chance for promotion, no career progression ect...due to his remuster being held at the stage it is at. Using that example, it is not a suprise, some attractive trades such as pilot are so harder to enter via the DEO route.

As hard as CFRG and career managers work to meet the needs of the CF, that feast and famine impression is part and parcel of the CF IMO. The CF is a voluntary military service, so when a publicly known conflict is ongoing for 8+years (Afghanistan) there will be an overwhelming number of people looking to enter combat trades like infantry. The CF training system can only train so many people in one year. Once that number is reach, we have to say no more. Heck, even the Navy is saying no more to Boatswain for the rest of this FY.

Read the Infantry closed, Combat Engineer closed, Boatswain closed threads and many of the comments I have echoed are made there.

Hi Kratz,
Good point.
Wow!  He/she must wait 18 months just for the course! Incredible.

I found your comments “The CF is a voluntary military service, so when a publicly known conflict is ongoing for 8+years (Afghanistan) there will be an overwhelming number of people looking to enter combat trades like infantry” to be quite interesting.

I would have thought that it works (as a voluntary military service)  the other way around.  When the public sees soldiers coming back deceased, hurt, wounded (physically and psychologically)  that LESS people would be applying for direct combat trades (especially given the fact that the pay is nothing to write home about either). 

Just to update the current OJE timeline, I am currently on OJE and just received my course date and I will have been on OJE for 43 weeks before my course starts. That is not including my DL. Bit of a backlog I guess.

Back