• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice on joining.

frnky73

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am seeking advice on joining the reserve forces. A little background. I am a 30 yo Registered Nurse working in a level 1 trauma Center and am in the process of becoming as Advanced Care paramedic as well. I have done flight nursing in the past and have virtually every critical care certification available to RN's. The problem is after doing this job for the past 8 years, despite the acuity I am becoming board and feel as though I need more. I am an adrenalin junky and spend my weekends rock climbing, mountaineering and ski touring. So where to go from here?

I have tossed around the possibility of joining as a reservist with the idea of working in the infantry as a med tech or dreaming of getting on a heli medivac service or SARTEC (All time dream job). Is this even a possibility as a reservist?

Are there other options within the military that I have not thought of that might be appropriate?

I am in need of a new challenge and hope you guys can help direct me.

frnky73 said:
I have tossed around the possibility of joining as a reservist with the idea of working in the infantry as a med tech

I'm not sure if non Medical units have medics attached still or not,  they might all belong to the Field Amb.  I would assume that during some FTXs, the Infantry unit may get attachments from the Field Amb,  one of the Reserve Medics or Infantry can confirm/deny that.

frnky73 said:
or dreaming of getting on a heli medivac service

I think you should really look at what Reserve Medics do

frnky73 said:
SARTEC (All time dream job). Is this even a possibility as a reservist?

SAR TECH is a Regular Force job

I think you should check out what trades are available in the Reserves,  and your local Reserve units to see what they actually do or don't do. 

Sure, after what you've accomplished civilian side you'll be bored to tears if you join the CF and have to start all over again.

-Skeletor- said:
SAR TECH is a Regular Force job

I am aware that SAR TECHS are a reg force job and I am also aware they have taken 1 civilian in the past (maybe someone can confirm if there is more then 1). The problem is getting in or even getting the opportunity to try out. Where do you start?

For professions such as physician’s assistant is there any way to fast track or demonstrate previous learned knowledge to advance a little faster?

Thanks for the replies. Please keep them coming.

frnky73 said:
Where do you start?

Call your local CFRC and ask if they are taking applications for SAR Tech.  I would assume you can try out for SAR Tech as a Reservist(?) and if you meet the requirements/selection you would transfer into the Reg Force either before you start the training or on successfully finishing the course.  That would be another question to ask the CFRC or perhaps the Reserve unit you are interested in joining.

Or wait until someone who knows reads your post and replies,  in the mean time you could also search the forum for threads on SAR Tech.

frnky73 said:
advance a little faster?

There's quite a bit more to advancing through the ranks than what you have learned and done thus far in your life.

frnky73 said:
I am aware that SAR TECHS are a reg force job and I am also aware they have taken 1 civilian in the past (maybe someone can confirm if there is more then 1). The problem is getting in or even getting the opportunity to try out. Where do you start?

For professions such as physician’s assistant is there any way to fast track or demonstrate previous learned knowledge to advance a little faster?

Thanks for the replies. Please keep them coming.

The Sar Tech direct entry program(off the street) has ended for the time being. The component transfer(reserves to reg) is also on hold. Currently, the only way to apply is to be a Reg Force member. The trade took 11 civilians over the course of 5 years.

CDN Aviator said:
There's quite a bit more to advancing through the ranks than what you have learned and done thus far in your life.

Couldn't agree more. Part of the reason I am giving this an honest thought is the idea of learning new skills that I have not done thus far in life (survival, logistics, weapons handing, MCI, better navigation skills, and on and on). I am under no pretensions that I know it all or there is nothing to learn, simply trying to figure out if there is a way to learn what the military has to offer, maintain and build upon my current expertise and having a little adventure at the same time.  Please don't misinterpret the idea of trying to get previous learned knowledge recognized as being a know it all or someone not willing to put in there dues.

HappyWithYourHacky said:
The Sar Tech direct entry program(off the street) has ended for the time being. The component transfer(reserves to reg) is also on hold. Currently, the only way to apply is to be a Reg Force member. The trade took 11 civilians over the course of 5 years.

Thank you for that HappyWithYourHacky. Any chance you know how long or if it is an indefinite hold?

frnky73 said:
Thank you for that HappyWithYourHacky. Any chance you know how long or if it is an indefinite hold?

Currently it is indefinitely. They are still taking candidates for selection however, the course loads are pretty small. (8 last year and 6 predicted for this year). If you decide to join the regs you may apply at any time (no 4 year waiting period). However, convincing your higher ups to approve your application may be a road block until you put some time into your given trade. All that being said the wait and effort is worth it.

HappyWithYourHacky said:
All that being said the wait and effort is worth it.

Do they have a maximum age?

On a side note are there any Nursing Officers that would comment on the merit of going that route. Now that we are not actively involved in combat I image the opportunities are more limited? 

frnky73 said:
Do they have a maximum age?

On a side note are there any Nursing Officers that would comment on the merit of going that route. Now that we are not actively involved in combat I image the opportunities are more limited?

No Max age. I'm off to work for a bit, if you have any more Sar Tech specific questions feel free to PM me.

frnky73 said:
I am a 30 yo Registered Nurse working in a level 1 trauma Center and am in the process of becoming as Advanced Care paramedic as well.

That would depend on which provincial jurisdiction you are referring to.

In Ontario, you must have a minimum of 2 years experience as a PCP before being able to qualify as an ACP.

It may vary by municipality, but in Toronto promotion from PCP to ACP is by the "Senior Qualified Process".

mariomike said:
That would depend on which provincial jurisdiction you are referring to.

In Ontario, you must have a minimum of 2 years experience as a PCP before being able to qualify as an ACP.

It may vary by municipality, but in Toronto promotion from PCP to ACP is by the "Senior Qualified Process".

I am in Alberta. I am currently a PCP and will complete ACP within the next 6 months.

Frinky73,

I was crushed when I found out that there were zero DEO NO spots for this year, basically, due to budget cuts and other reasons.  No selections at all for this year.  The future looks bleak.  I should have joined in the past ten years when nursing was in demand.

Back