• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice and an open mind needed

You have sooooo much to do and go through before instructing anything is going to be an issue........

GAP said:
You have sooooo much to do and go through before instructing anything is going to be an issue........

I appreciate the info. I was thinking more along the lines of an outside contractor. Just want to see if there was a compromise to be made.

Ryango said:
I was referring to size as total members, I guess a better description would be Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu academy. If you are in the know, i'm sure you can guess the academy, but I will please ask you to keep it under wraps as I put my whole personal life out there on the forum today and not everyone who knows me personally from my work place needs to be told.

I really appreciate the honesty and heartfelt opinions I have received already. I have looked at this from every angle I could possibly think of.
I believe the main reason I haven't pushed the issue more with my girlfriend is that I genuinely do not like to see her distressed, and since in the end I  do WANT to open my own place, I can see how she thinks it doesn't make sense.

Any input on the schedule of an infantry member would help me a lot on how I would deal with my dog as he accompanies to work at the present moment, I have a lot of options with family helping along with my girlfriend, but I would like to see how viable it would be.

Also does anyone know about the other option I mentioned? Being contracted as an instructor? I know the CF already has fabulous combative instruction but I have not heard of anything in regards to BJJ being taught, as it's become increasingly more popular in the American systems, BDU to Gi differential is very small.

Again thank you all for your input.

-Ryan

Perhaps you can start your gym and still contribute. I am not sure where you live or where you would be starting your gym, but consider the things you can "donate" to the CF if you start your own business. A free/cheap seminar here and there, going to the base and offering free/cheap instruction, big discounts for military members, etc. In this country we need more than military members, police officers, etc... We also need entrepreneurs and we need engineers and we need artists and athletes. Consider your tangible skill set and it's value (a black belt in BJJ is worth a lot in Canada right now...) and how you can use that to contribute to the CF without being in the CF.

I know I would appreciate it like crazy if a BJJ black belt came to my unit and offered a free seminar or something.

At the same time... I know what I would tell a girlfriend that thought I should throw away my aspirations just so I don't cause her an inconvenience...

Diamondwillow said:
Very much a girl... 100% girl... :D well - woman actually haven't been a *girl* in a long time ;)

Still, I highly recommend keeping up with daily verification of such if only as a means of reducing your stress levels via assuring you haven't somehow changed overnight.

Surprised it hasn't come up yet- but have you thought of joining the reserves?

ArmyVern said:
Still, I highly recommend keeping up with daily verification of such if only as a means of reducing your stress levels via assuring you haven't somehow changed overnight.

There's a button for that!!!  ;D

True ... you can apply for reverse's and experience the taste of CF and come home every night. Plus your excuse could be little bit more money to support opening my gym while trying something different :D

Ryango,

Can't speak to your girlfriend, and don't really care to anyway as it is you who is thinking of joining.

I've got two points:

1) My own son was sworn in yesterday ... infantry;  :facepalm:

(just kidding boys ...)

2) A friend of mine owned his own business which was quite successful. He too dreamed of joining the CF; and, of joining the CF as an infanteer. Just a couple of years ago, he did join. He is now a 50 year old Cpl in the PPCLI ... and loves his job. Many a great conversations over Timmies about his new life. Then again, he's single.

You need to make the right choice for you.

Bart905 said:
True ... you can apply for reverse's and experience the taste of CF and come home every night. Plus your excuse could be little bit more money to support opening my gym while trying something different :D

???

Reverse what?

Brihard said:
Surprised it hasn't come up yet- but have you thought of joining the reserves?

Yes, although I don't believe it would allow me to get to my goal... Unless you can apply from the reserves, also I would need actual tour experience.

I would offer free seminars all the time, right now even, if I knew the route to take. My head instructor would as well. As I said earlier I am in a management position currently which means little instruction currently, and also hampers my ability to train at a competitive level, although I have competed many times at the Pan-Am and World Championships.
I would love to give some ideas to CF for drills and technique to practice.

-Ryan

No, you could not get to JTF from the reserves, not without going reg force. That is correct. But if you were to get into JTF, pretty much expect to kiss goodbye to the relationship anyway by most accounts. It sounds like your girlfriend's compunctions are far too severe for there to be a middle ground on this one. Either join up and expect to lose her; keep her and expect to lose your other dream; or settle for a probably very unsatisfying middle gorund where you'll always feel teased by what you dreamed of having but don't (though many would contend that's married life anyway).

Ryan the CF has a boner for Taekwondo.  People train here and there on their own but there doesn't seem like much official interest in BJJ.

At best if you're a tough guy, know your stuff and have charisma you may get requests to show a platoon some BJJ stuff here and there for PT.
For the most part it'll be you and some BJJ fans rolling around after work or over your lunch break. Open up your own club/school.  Don't count on teaching the CF drills.

I know what I have to do on the girlfriend front, I already knew I had to talk about these issues just in general about compromise and decision making in the relationship.

To help me get a better idea though on the dog side of things could someone give me an idea of what a normal work week consists of... I am not talking about tours, training programs and what not, I'm talking about when I'm on base. Can she live with our dogs somewhere off base, and I come home at night like a "normal" job and on weekends(or however days-off work). Then when I go away for extended periods my family can take him if she can't?
...I am essentially trying to get my bases covered here for an argument. I also have a high moral code when it comes to responsibility, and will never just give my dog away. I made the choice to get him, I am responsible for what happens to him.

Sorry for the "Doctor Phil" treatment everyone, I just needed to vent, and truly needed an experienced perspective on the subject.

George Wallace said:
Someone should do some serious reading before posting.
I have done quite a bit of reading my friend, as I said in my first post I felt my position was different enough to warrant it's own thread. If you don't see it that way I apologize for wasting your time reading my posts and the appreciated responses from all those who felt they could lend an ear.

Although I realize my last question has been asked quite a few times on these forums... just fits in this thread if someone wants to link.

-Ryan

Ryango said:
Yes, although I don't believe it would allow me to get to my goal... Unless you can apply from the reserves, also I would need actual tour experience.

I would offer free seminars all the time, right now even, if I knew the route to take. My head instructor would as well. As I said earlier I am in a management position currently which means little instruction currently, and also hampers my ability to train at a competitive level, although I have competed many times at the Pan-Am and World Championships.
I would love to give some ideas to CF for drills and technique to practice.

-Ryan

What area are you in? I can probably get you a good contact to start. I have friends that are platoon commanders in the combat arms in *most* of the major areas at this point.

I would ignore what Grimaldus said about the CF not entertaining BJJ... If they have someone offer a free seminar to their troops, they will find some way to get you in during the work day. If they do turn it down, they are shitty fucking leaders, period.

There's not much "appetite" for BJJ because it's hard to find qualified instructors, unlike TKD where black belts are a dime a dozen.

Also, if you could grab a few fighters to bring in and help instruct the troops I am sure they will appreciate it.

Ryango- When you're up in battalion, a normal work week will be 8-4 Monday to Friday. You'll spend more time than you'd expect sitting on your ass. You'll live maybe on base in military housing, or maybe in a place you buy or rent off base. The dog will run free and bark at the neighbours. Possibly the girlfriend too, if that's her thing. You'll come home in the afternoon, grumble about what some jackass did today, and she'll murmur sympathetic noises while thinking about whatever it is that she does.

And then a few weeks later you'll bugger off for a week or a month or a month and a half in the field. Maybe in Wainwright. Maybe in Virginia. Maybe in Norway. Maybe right there in whatever base you're in. You'll simply be off somewhere and largely out of touch.

Or you may be told one day that you're going on a course in some place or another, and again, off you go for a month to another part of the country.

And then every now and then some other part of the world will go to shit and you'll deploy.

There's plenty of time for family when you're at home in normal garrison routine, but it will be balanced out by long, and not always predictable times away.

Ryan I get the feeling like you already have a general idea what all the answers will be like regarding your pet - it's a little weird your're asking but to give you an answer anyways

You'll work 8-4.
You'll also work late some nights, maybe over night here and there - you'll need to find someone to feed, water, walk your dogs.
You'll go away on exercise anywhere from 10 days to 2 months - you'll need someone to feed, water, walk your dogs.

There may be some kind of kennel where you are posted that take dogs like daycare takes kids.

You can live in the shacks, on the base in military housing or off base. Unless you're working you go "home" at night.

Edit: didn't see Brihard's post.

Back