• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Additional Requirements for Firefighter Question?!

Fokur

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm 26 and been working at Toyota for the last 5 years. Been seriously considering joining the Air Force as a firefighter. I went to a recruiter and he said that you would need gr 11 advance math and gr 11 science.

My situation is that I don't have one of those gr 11 sciences... never took it in high school :). It sorta discouraged me from the army because I don't really have the time to take night school courses and balancing 2 jobs and a family. I have 2 friends in the forces and 1 of which is a firefighter and he said that when he got in he didn't have the math or the science!!

He just said you have to convince the recruiter why you'd be a great candidate for the job... anyone have experience with this? or did he just get really really lucky?

Fokur,

From my experience these minimum requirements are enforced or overlooked depending on the demand for a particular position.  One this is for certain, you will have to make sure your fit enough for the position.  Whether you have the academic qualifications or not will be irrelevant if you fail the fitness evaluation.

As a heads up, fire fighters conduct 2 different physical evaluations (Applicant Test and 10 Task Test).  The applicant test involves walking on a treadmill in full bunker gear (minus respirator) with a progressively faster speeds and increasing incline.  The details of the 10 Task test can be found at the link below (#8 on the list).

I would do some research on these evaluations and get in the gym to ensure you are fit enough.

I hope this helps.

I have been staying on top of my fitness almost everyday but this gives me something to work towards. Thanks

Ya I figured the recruiters would probably NOT look pass the missing science since the firefighter trade is in such high demand...

Back