• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Accessing my Personnel File

dangles

Inactive
Reaction score
Is there a way to get hold of your course reports from BMQ, SQ, and DP1?

I was in the Army reserves for two and a half years but during went on ED&T and eventually released so I never had a PER as far as I know.
I want to get these documents for reference information before asking a personal memo or reference letter.

Thank you.

Crispy Bacon said:
Are you still in, or released?

dangles said:
I was in the Army reserves for two and a half years but during went on ED&T and eventually released

There's that whole reading before posting thing....

The first thing I would do would be to attending your BOR and request an opportunity to review your pers file.  They will put you at a desk with suitable privacy, put the file in front of you and let you go through it.  Sometimes with supervision but it depends, they may also tell you to have your Chief (MWO, WO....depending upon how your CoC is set up) request to have the file sent over to your Unit and you can go through it there.  If you find what you need there you can ask for a copy and if it's not there then you will have to make a request for the records from archives.  I just did that 6 months ago for a few of my PERs I needed from 2006-2007.  It took me about 6 months go get them that way but I simply filled out the request, sent it off and waited. 

Schindler's Lift said:
The first thing I would do would be to attending your BOR and request an opportunity to review your pers file.  They will put you at a desk with suitable privacy, put the file in front of you and let you go through it.  Sometimes with supervision but it depends, they may also tell you to have your Chief (MWO, WO....depending upon how your CoC is set up) request to have the file sent over to your Unit and you can go through it there.  If you find what you need there you can ask for a copy and if it's not there then you will have to make a request for the records from archives.  I just did that 6 months ago for a few of my PERs I needed from 2006-2007.  It took me about 6 months go get them that way but I simply filled out the request, sent it off and waited.

PMedMoe said:
There's that whole reading before posting thing....

The OP has already released.

PMedMoe said:
The OP has already released.

Well, as another user here has on his tag line "I always proof read my posts, after I hit "Send"."

If he's out already, hit the local post office and submit an ATI request would be my suggestion.  Worked for me and I'm still in.

Thank you all for the replies - to clarify, I am released technically....I filled out all my paperwork and handed in my kit and (I think?) it got all sent away and handled with but i'm in the limbo between being officially released and still in the army.

That said, I will look into the BOR method. Also, how do I submit an ATI request / what do I ask for, and where do I look in the Archives  :-\

Thank you all.

dangles said:
Thank you all for the replies - to clarify, I am released technically....I filled out all my paperwork and handed in my kit and (I think?) it got all sent away and handled with but i'm in the limbo between being officially released and still in the army.

That said, I will look into the BOR method. Also, how do I submit an ATI request / what do I ask for, and where do I look in the Archives  :-\

Thank you all.

There is no such thing as "released technically".  You either are or your not.  Given the fact that you were PRes, chances are, your documents are still with your local Res F unit, so speak with them first.

DAA said:
There is no such thing as "released technically".  You either are or your not.  Given the fact that you were PRes, chances are, your documents are still with your local Res F unit, so speak with them first.

I know what he is getting at.  I "released" in Nov 12, ie I signed everything that needed to be signed, turned in all kit, cleared out etc.  But the unit release clerk told me, she couldn't officially send in the documents to Ottawa, because the CO wouldn't let her.  She was told to stagger the filing of the paperwork so it wouldn't look like people were leaving En Masse.

Wouldn't surprise me if something similar has occurred, whereby he has done everything on his part to action the release, it's the unit that hasn't done their part for whatever reason.

There's also a number of people it gets sent to along the way it might get held up.  Nevermind that there might be a couple year long backlog for just digitizing the documents at the end.

Hatchet Man said:
I know what he is getting at.  I "released" in Nov 12, ie I signed everything that needed to be signed, turned in all kit, cleared out etc.  But the unit release clerk told me, she couldn't officially send in the documents to Ottawa, because the CO wouldn't let her.  She was told to stagger the filing of the paperwork so it wouldn't look like people were leaving En Masse.

Wouldn't surprise me if something similar has occurred, whereby he has done everything on his part to action the release, it's the unit that hasn't done their part for whatever reason.

Ahh yes, the strategic extake plan.

Colossally stupid.  Since recruiting targets are set nationally, where they use the HR data.  If you're not released therefore the count of Infantrymen is one higher so the Reserve SIP will be one lower, so the unit won't be permitted to recruit.

dapaterson said:
Colossally stupid.  Since recruiting targets are set nationally, where they use the HR data.  If you're not released therefore the count of Infantrymen is one higher so the Reserve SIP will be one lower, so the unit won't be permitted to recruit.

What's even better, is when someone comes along with prior Res F service and applies to join the Regular Force, get's told they have to go the CT Route and then it's discovered that the member actually released 2 years ago but someone forgot to staff the paperwork.      :facepalm:

dapaterson said:

Seems that they're covering up the larger issue by making it seem that fewer members are releasing over a greater period of time than actually are.  If a unit went from releasing 10 people per year to 10 people per month it would raise a lot of questions, like "why aren't you recruiting committed people?"  "What is wrong with your training plan that you're recruiting these supposedly committed people yet scaring them away?"  It's a band-aid and higher will eventually find out (if they want to).

I worked in an OR at a time when the (reserve) unit had over 600 people on paper.  When only about 120 were parading on a weekly basis, higher caught on and it wasn't pretty.  Some guys "released" (they thought they did) in 2006, only to be told "hey, we're wondering why you haven't paraded in... uh... 5 years?"  Some even went as far as to have re-applied to the Air Force, only to learn "oh, your previous unit 5(f)'d you and you owe the Queen $5000 in kit you never returned."

dangles said:

Thank you all.

Hey Dangles,
I just finished my ATI. It really didnt take that long. I did my transfer from the reserves in Feb 2013 and they had access to everything at Library and Achives when I did my ATI in January of 2014. They send you a CD with everything from your pers file on it. I was actually quite happy with what I got because they had forms I didn't even know existed like my enrolment certificate.
You can access the form on the internet here:
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/aip/doc/pirf-fdrp-eng.pdf
Mail it in as per the instructions and just ask whatever your looking for. I put something like "Full and complete copy of any and all personnel records including but not limited to Crse reports, personnel reviews and certificates".
Depending on when you released they should be able to help you. It was recommended to me to wait 6 months after release before applying.

Any questions feel free to send me a message.

Back