• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Abbotsford Airshow Sat 11 Aug 2007

Using the C/S Canada 1, was the PM there?

I've seen a couple of reports he might show up, but others haven't mentioned it at all.

We just got back from seeing her land in Trenton.  She sure is purdy! I took some pics but I'll need to resize them and I'll post them later. 

There was quite the crowd waiting for her to come in, and a big cheer went up when she touched down. 

I have to say it was something else to finally see our first C-17 land at Trenton was glad that I could make it .  What amazed me the most was how quite the C-17 was compared to the old 707 and the air bus .          IT was also a good size crowd that turned out .At least  20 or so cars on the main RCAF road  mostly in the field across from the runway and on the sides of the road .      

I was up bright and early this morning to get to Abbotsford, and let me tell you it was totally worth it. Even from the lineup to get in I could see the distinctive tail of the C-17 with the black flag on there, and it filled me with pride. The cargo bay was full of essential equipment and spares that had been picked up at McChord AFB earlyer. I spent a good half hour talking with the loadmaster, and he was pretty excited about the plane. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera, so I don't have any pictures to share, but I did notice one thing. On all the other Canadian Aircraft, it says Canadian Forces, Forces Canadiennes. On the new CC177, the C on the French Canadian on the starboard side was lower case. I didn't get a chance to see the other side, but the loadmaster said he thought it was normal. I'm no whiz on French, so is this normal, or should we be asking Boeing for a $200 million dollar refund?  ;D

BattleHawk said:
I was up bright and early this morning to get to Abbotsford, and let me tell you it was totally worth it. Even from the lineup to get in I could see the distinctive tail of the C-17 with the black flag on there, and it filled me with pride. The cargo bay was full of essential equipment and spares that had been picked up at McChord AFB earlyer. I spent a good half hour talking with the loadmaster, and he was pretty excited about the plane. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera, so I don't have any pictures to share, but I did notice one thing. On all the other Canadian Aircraft, it says Canadian Forces, Forces Canadiennes. On the new CC177, the C on the French Canadian on the starboard side was lower case. I didn't get a chance to see the other side, but the loadmaster said he thought it was normal. I'm no whiz on French, so is this normal, or should we be asking Boeing for a $200 million dollar refund?  ;D

"Forces canadiennes"  is correct.

G2G

Really, then all of the other aircraft I saw were incorrect? Would the CF even allow that?

BattleHawk said:
Really, then all of the other aircraft I saw were incorrect? Would the CF even allow that?

Mine are the same...lowercase "c"...

Thanks for clearing that up, I was gonna say, pay $200 million, and they mess up the paintjob?... Good thing I wasnt painting it then, I'd be fired by now.

ParaMedTech said:
Using the C/S Canada 1, was the PM there?

I've seen a couple of reports he might show up, but others haven't mentioned it at all.

Sorry if this was replied to already, but Canada One is not the PM's C/S for his bird.

"Canada 1" ..... so CA-1 is actually just the "production number of the aircraft.
The other allies who have purchased the aircraft also use the same labelling option ..... AT-1 for the Australians and so on ..... UK-1 for the British first aircraft .... it is just a method for Boeing to track and monitor the airframes as they come off the production line.

Our actual callsign from Long Beach all the way back to Trenton was "CFC 3600", or "Can Force 3600".  This is a very typical transport (trash hauler) callsign.

Skip__ said:
I have some pictures and video of the C-17 taking off and a flypast I will post in a few minutes.

Hi Skip:

Thankyou very much for the posts and the videos.
You know you covered the event more than the main stream media!!!

Globesmasher said:
Our actual callsign from Long Beach all the way back to Trenton was "CFC 3600", or "Can Force 3600".  This is a very typical transport (trash hauler) callsign.

You should use the arrival of the CC-177 to usher in a new era of sexy 'trash hauling'! How about 'Smasher 21'  ;D

Congrats on the new ship GS, can't wait to see it in person.

Some good pics coming up over on fencecheck.com's abby discussion. http://www.fencecheck.com/forums/threads/7398.300.html

Globesmasher said:
"Canada 1" ..... so CA-1 is actually just the "production number of the aircraft.
The other allies who have purchased the aircraft also use the same labelling option ..... AT-1 for the Australians and so on ..... UK-1 for the British first aircraft .... it is just a method for Boeing to track and monitor the airframes as they come off the production line.

Intresting note.  So our aircraft will be CA-1 to 4.  I was assuming we would use the US P-1, P2, etc...  Thanks for the insite, and I bet you are glad to have her in Trenton.  You have a long week ahead of you I hear, so get some rest.

Globesmasher said:

We use "CFC XXXX" for non-tactical flights through foreign airspace as well

CDN Aviator said:
We use "CFC XXXX" for non-tactical flights through foreign airspace as well

Twas ever the same, :) even back in the old Argus days.

Congratulations on the new bird.  I was down in Long Beach for simulator most of July and saw her parked on the far side of the airfield.  I was shocked when, as I pointed her out to my classmates, that they didn't know Canada had bought 4 C-17s.

On a side note, I've always wondered why all military flights don't use the CFC call sign.  It always seemed like a small but, easily fixed breach of op sec to use squadron call signs on an open ATC frequency.  I remember reading how the VC tracked US formations by the insignia painted on their choppers.

Again best wishes

Cheers
Steve

SteveB said:
On a side note, I've always wondered why all military flights don't use the CFC call sign.  It always seemed like a small but, easily fixed breach of op sec to use squadron call signs on an open ATC frequency.  I remember reading how the VC tracked US formations by the insignia painted on their choppers.

Who said we use SQN callsigns during tactical operations ?

C1302C17 TECH said:
Sorry if this was replied to already, but Canada One is not the PM's C/S for his bird.

Hm, you learn something new every day!

Thanks for clearing that up, all.  8)

Back